By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the Switch Dominate The Holiday Season?

Will the Switch Dominate The Holiday Season?

Yes 69 50.74%

No, Sony will 42 30.88%

No, Microsoft will 5 3.68%

Not sure 20 14.71%

Total:136
zorg1000 said:
Megiddo said:

The one that has been discontinued as per Amazon?

http://a.co/fS8pqDe

Maybe Amazon doesnt carry it anymore but its quite plentiful where im at.

The PS4 1TB is the new standard, the 500GB is being phazed out. The official price of the PS4 is $299.

Around the Network
quickrick said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

Selective amnesia? You said Switch would lose December NPD. Switch wouldn't win a single NPD in 2018. Switch would lose to PS4 by over 100k and come on 3rd in March NPD, all wrong. And those are just the ones I remember, I'm sure there's plenty more as well as your assertions Smash wouldn't do well and now claiming Pokemon Pikachu/Eevee isnt going to do well and "looks real stupid". Pretty sure you'll be wrong on those as well.

your going back 6 months or over which fall in line with my cliff comments. I thought switch would lose by near 100k it was 50k i was wrong about that, of course i'm not perfect, there was nothing insane though about those predictions. As for smash i think it will do around 10-12 million it won't be the second coming, pokemon go probably do 6-8 milllion

Oh you're in for a crow treat come November.

I think it depends if the PS4 Pro drops in price. I want to get one for Kingdom Hearts 3.

bigtakilla said:
I think it depends if the PS4 Pro drops in price. I want to get one for Kingdom Hearts 3.

If you're in the US they are dropping the pro down to $349.99 temporarily for the Days of Play sale in a few days. Other regions might have a similar discounted pro.

Megiddo said:
bigtakilla said:

If you're in the US they are dropping the pro down to $349.99 temporarily for the Days of Play sale in a few days. Other regions might have a similar discounted pro.

Huh, definitely something to think about. Thanks for the info.

Around the Network

I suspect no console will dominate. The Switch will likely win, but it won't be to such a large degree that I would call it dominance.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

"Dominate" to me means to beat by a very large margin, like double or close to double, I don't see Switch doubling the PS4 anywhere but Japan.

Ljink96 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Not just that, but Pokemon is bigger than any other Nintendo IP. :D

Yeah but it's not winning the holiday by itself... that never has happened guys. And I'm aware of how big Pokemon is but COD is even bigger than Pokemon. Fifa is almost as big if not bigger than Pokemon. (And yes, I know FIFA 19 is on Switch, but it's not selling 10M units like the PS4 version) You have to be level headed here. I didn't say it couldn't carry a holiday, but rather it alone can't win a holiday against Sony. Microsoft for sure though.

I think you missing a point, Pokemon on Switch will be bigger and push hardware more than CoD or any other game on PS4 this year, in other words Pokemon will have much stronger effect on Switch sales than CoD on PS4 sales (we already had like 5 CoD games on PS4). And no, Pokemon is not alone, you have also Smash Bros thats also one of strongest Nintendo IPs, some other Nintendo games and some strong 3rd party games also.

Megiddo said:

This thread is in terms of hardware, not software correct? A game can sell a lot of software but not push much hardware, could it not?

I am surprised though that almost half those polled expect the Switch to dominate. That $300 price tag is still well above a typical high selling Nintendo console/handheld, is it not?

1) Yes, and I expect this to happen to the PS4 at this time of its life. RDR2, Spider-Man and whatever else will be released won't push sales high anymore as most people who wanted a PS4 already have one now. Just look at the sales this year until now: Monster Hunter World has pushed sales in Japan very much and God of War is highly acclaimed and selling like hot cakes - and yet worldwide sales are down and trending to go down much more over the next weeks and months.

What's with that 300$ price tag argument? It would have been valid before launch but by now it's clear people are buying the Switch at that price point. Besides if you add in the inflation then the Switch is actually cheaper than the Wii. 

'Dominate' implies not only winning, but doing it with a huge difference over the competition, so no..I think the Switch will be the system that wins the sales battle, but not with a huge difference over the PS4.It´d have to become the second coming of the Wii and DS to dominate...I´m reminded of NPD threads from 2007-2009, now those two systems, especially in that period, totally dominated.