By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Over 1 Million People Have Played State of Decay 2 in it's First 48 Hours. Now at 2 Million Players.

Mr Puggsly said:
SvennoJ said:

It seems to be a technical mess again, so should do well again :)
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-state-of-decay-2-tech-analysis

Funny that DF suddenly cares about performance difference
Xbox One X's visual extras give the game an impressive makeover, but as an online game it's unfair on those owners to receive such a palpable performance penalty, and in the here and now, the developer doesn't seem to have given much attention to ensuring a level playing field between users of both machines.
Never seemed to be a problem when it's the other way around.

The cynic is me says games as a service is just an excuse to release unfinished games, a fancy name for early access, to avoid the kinda backlash No man's sky got.

It seems like they could easily fix the X1X version simply by offering a performance mode that lowers the resolution. Or let the resolution drop further for a stable 30 fps.

I think there is simply a problem with studios not being efficient and perhaps making their games too ambitious. Games with a single player focus tend to launch in a more complete state than a game that attempts to offer a campaign, PvP, co-op, etc. With that said, MS games are pretty ambitious. Lets also consider Gran Turismo is taking an entire generation to release a complete product.

A majority of users are still buying 1st party MS games outright (not relying on Gamepass), so there still needs to be quality control for those buying the game.

Oh are they :p
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-05-26-microsoft-stealth-releases-new-pc-racing-game-miami-street

Last gen had plenty games with campaign, co-op, pvp, online and even splitscreen in a more finished state then this gen. No 4K needs though or multiple console models to make it work on. All those fancy effects and scalability has its price. And yeah, Gran Turismo is in early access as well. Hopefully the May update will add another new track again and perhaps PD can finally figure out the penalty system.

As for State of Decay 2, the solution seems simple, performance mode at 1080p30. Or it could be the perfect candidate for one of these tvs
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-samsung-adds-freesync-support-to-select-4k-tvs
(restricted to 1080p anyway, yet 45fps should look good on those)

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
Azzanation said:

I am still a little confused on why it matters. The general public who buy video games don't ask the store people how well a game is selling for them to make a purchase, nor does a game selling extremely well or not will make that difference. Iv worked in retail long enough to know that customers rarely approach me on how good a game is selling for them to make a purchase. If someone is after a Zombie Survival game than most times they will pick up the SOD2 box and start reading the back info, not how much it has sold in general.

MS are saying 1m people are playing SOD2, regardless of platform, that is a good number across the broad, do we need accurate information? No I don't think we do. Is the game doing well? Well enough for MS to comment on it, that's all that really matters. 

Honestly games like SOD2 and Sea of Thieves are designed for Game Pass, its not about the short term sales, these are games that hold 100+ hours of gameplay, this is what MS seem to be focusing on to convince customers to subscribe to Live and Game Pass. The longer the game the higher the chance to increase those Game Pass memberships per month.

Anyone would want to know how good a game is via reviews, youtube vids or by whatever means. If a game is reviewed badly or okay, it's sales will reflect it. Personally, if a game has mp, I want to know how many concurrent players it has.

MS will comment on any game and find the biggest number to use (likely one that doesn't mean anything to gamers) in their pr. 10 million players that played it doesn't mean anything if it was off of a free trial or if they played it for a few hours and stopped playing it entirely or if they bought the game to play it.

SoT doesn't have the content to get most gamers to play for that long.

SoT doesn't have the content now, because they have chopped it up to come out through-out the year. That's what will get gamers to resign to Live or Game Pass.  SoD2 is also designed around longativity. Its pretty clear to see MS are focusing around the World of Warcraft formula, just need 1 game to make your money not 5.

As for knowing if the game is good, that's what reviews are for. I don't know how 1m players can be a negative since the game is cross play between Xbox and PC. You know how cross play works right? If not ill explain in advance. If you buy the Xbox version it works on both your Windows 10 PC and Xbox consoles, so working out who's playing on what should not matter.. because like myself 1 day ill play it on the X and the other ill play it on my PC. As for GamePass? well how do you count sales from GamePass since its a service not a direct purchase to the game. So just saying 1m players sounds a lot more simpler than trying to estimate how many gamers brought GamePass for SoD2 (Which they wont know) and trying to work out who's playing on PC and Xbox systems. 

SvennoJ said:
Mr Puggsly said:

It seems like they could easily fix the X1X version simply by offering a performance mode that lowers the resolution. Or let the resolution drop further for a stable 30 fps.

I think there is simply a problem with studios not being efficient and perhaps making their games too ambitious. Games with a single player focus tend to launch in a more complete state than a game that attempts to offer a campaign, PvP, co-op, etc. With that said, MS games are pretty ambitious. Lets also consider Gran Turismo is taking an entire generation to release a complete product.

A majority of users are still buying 1st party MS games outright (not relying on Gamepass), so there still needs to be quality control for those buying the game.

Oh are they :p
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-05-26-microsoft-stealth-releases-new-pc-racing-game-miami-street

Last gen had plenty games with campaign, co-op, pvp, online and even splitscreen in a more finished state then this gen. No 4K needs though or multiple console models to make it work on. All those fancy effects and scalability has its price. And yeah, Gran Turismo is in early access as well. Hopefully the May update will add another new track again and perhaps PD can finally figure out the penalty system.

As for State of Decay 2, the solution seems simple, performance mode at 1080p30. Or it could be the perfect candidate for one of these tvs
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-samsung-adds-freesync-support-to-select-4k-tvs
(restricted to 1080p anyway, yet 45fps should look good on those)

That looks like a mobile game, Windows 10 Store has a lot of mobile style games. Sony and Nintendo also make smaller games for smart devices.

A lot of games have aimed for campaign, co op and PVP. I can't think of many that were notable outside of a few franchises.

Based on the X1S running State of Decay 2, I would imagine the X1X could maintain 45 - 60 fps at 1080p. However, if the dynamic resolution was simply more aggressive it should be able to maintain a solid 30 fps. id games and CoD for example see much bigger drops in resolution to maintain a high frame rate.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

This is some good pr. They need to truly break down the sales from the gamepass userbase activity. They wont do it unless the true numbers are credible though. They did the same thing with Sea of Thieves and the user interaction dwindled down in a month.

Snoopy said:
JRPGfan said:

I think ~400k (digital+physical) out of that 1m players.
there could legit be 600k people either gameshareing/gamepass (free trail or paid).

its not bad for 6days of sales.

It only tracked 2 days so far. Either way, they get their money from xbox game pass.

6days includeing the early access version (2days for the normal version), but they do include that Ultimate edition or whatever its called (that allowed you like a week early access) in these numbers.

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
It probably sold 19 copies once you subtract all the free GamePass trials.

Just like MS is not capable of providing solid sales numbers.

OP- yeah yeah welll done.

The new go-to PR line for MS could bite them in the ass if we ever find out how many Game Pass subscribers there are.

Instead it'll be "Only 20% of GamePass users bothered to try their new game for free."

Barkley said:
The new go-to PR line for MS could bite them in the ass if we ever find out how many Game Pass subscribers there are.

Instead it'll be "Only 20% of GamePass users bothered to try their new game for free."

I’m sure some here won’t hesitate to try and break down the math for us and apply a negative spin, but who cares? I don’t watch everything on Netflix, I don’t watch everything on Hulu, I don’t rent every game on GameFly. I don’t play every game on GamePass. No one does. There are too many good games on the service to play everything :)

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/05/25/state-of-decay-2-million-players-global-release/

"Watching players create new communities, forge friendships and test survival skills contributed to making State of Decay 2 one of the top-watched titles this week. Across player communities, we’ve seen survivors kill over 675 million zombies, throw over 6 million firecrackers and fireworks (survivors still find ways to celebrate), eat over 6 million bags of snacks, read over 2 million textbooks, and typically survive for about three days (with some players surviving for over an in-game month – a lofty goal to aim for your session this weekend)." - Aaron Greenberg

6 million bags of snacks eating inside the game = mega seller confirmed.

These Xbox PR numbers crack me up sometimes.

Not that impressive once you remove gameshare and GamePass free trials it’s probably 49 bags of snacks.