By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Over 1 Million People Have Played State of Decay 2 in it's First 48 Hours. Now at 2 Million Players.

I hate these sort of stats. Talk to me in two years and let me know how many people are playing it. Almost every "big" game has tons of players when it first launches. I feel like it's less informative when they announce this stuff and more just contrived PR.

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
Issue is - it's been more than 2 days.
That has been out since I think Monday right? Paid early release and all that.

I'd love some game pass break down though.
These people bought it on windows 10.
These on Xbox 10.
These on game pass
These on game pass using a trial.

That would be nice. It's odd they never mention sales.

Aeolus451 said:
Bandorr said:
Issue is - it's been more than 2 days.
That has been out since I think Monday right? Paid early release and all that.

I'd love some game pass break down though.
These people bought it on windows 10.
These on Xbox 10.
These on game pass
These on game pass using a trial.

May i asked why does it actually matter weather its sold on what system and how much? 

As you both can clearly see MS isnt about just simple 1 platform figures anymore. Its all about the combined total of there platforms. For example - its about increasing Live revenue not how many Xbox consoles are sold.

1million players are 1million players regardless if there free trails or paid members. Its all about getting people on Live and hooking them to subscribe. Thats there buisness model. Thats why games like SOTs were designed, for the long haul to keep gamers paying.

Thats the buisness practices i see from them. Live subs earn more money than consoles sold.

The first game was a technical mess on 360, still did well.

So I'm not that surprised the sequel has an audience.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Azzanation said:
Aeolus451 said:

May i asked why does it actually matter weather its sold on what system and how much? 

As you both can clearly see MS isnt about just simple 1 platform figures anymore. Its all about the combined total of there platforms. For example - its about increasing Live revenue not how many Xbox consoles are sold.

1million players are 1million players regardless if there free trails or paid members. Its all about getting people on Live and hooking them to subscribe. Thats there buisness model. Thats why games like SOTs were designed, for the long haul to keep gamers paying.

Thats the buisness practices i see from them. Live subs earn more money than consoles sold.

Well, this is a forum that's mainly about video game and consoles/pc sales so don't act like I'm asking or talking about something abnormal here. You're being goofy.

One million players is not just one million players for any game that has free trials or part of third party subscription service. The numbers mean different things. It's more difficult to gauge how well it's doing but I guess that's the point of not providing tangible numbers or breaking it down. 

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
Azzanation said:

Well, this is a forum that's mainly about video game and consoles/pc sales so don't act like I'm asking or talking about something abnormal here. You're being goofy.

One million players is not just one million players for any game that has free trials or part of third party subscription service. The numbers mean different things. It's more difficult to gauge how well it's doing but I guess that's the point of not providing tangible numbers or breaking it down. 

Yes its a games sale site, but you are looking far too much into it. MS hasn't signed an oath to this site, they don't even have to tell us anything. There business model is completely different to Nintendo's and Sony's. This day and age, we must start accepting it, a digital world and service especially for the Xbox brand. 1m players is still 1m players who went out of there way to play SoD2 which I would think is a great thing considering the games (Low) budget and sale price.. seems like a win for MS/Xbox. 

Does it matter if half those numbers were on Mobile phones, free trails, or forced bundles? It seems many on this site excuse forced bundling so might as well excuse the rest of it. Nothing is ever accurate. Just like Wii Sports for the Wii, greatest selling game of all time.. yeah okay. (I loved Wii Sports, just saying)

Azzanation said:
Aeolus451 said:

Yes its a games sale site, but you are looking far too much into it. MS hasn't signed an oath to this site, they don't even have to tell us anything. There business model is completely different to Nintendo's and Sony's. This day and age, we must start accepting it, a digital world and service especially for the Xbox brand. 1m players is still 1m players who went out of there way to play SoD2 which I would think is a great thing considering the games (Low) budget and sale price.. seems like a win for MS/Xbox. 

Does it matter if half those numbers were on Mobile phones, free trails, or forced bundles? It seems many on this site excuse forced bundling so might as well excuse the rest of it. Nothing is ever accurate. Just like Wii Sports for the Wii, greatest selling game of all time.. yeah okay. (I loved Wii Sports, just saying)

It matters because it will influence if people on the fence would buy an xbox or buy the game at all. When a game publisher obscures how well their games are doing, it doesn't speak well for how good the game is. If a game has a price tag, how many people paid for it matters. If a game is part of a games as a service business model then concurrent players who pay matter. 

jason1637 said:

I've only got 2 hours playtime and I enjoyed it and will play more.

This is the main reason why you enjoy SoD2. Game a very repetative, you drop it very soon.

Kemono said:
jason1637 said:

I've only got 2 hours playtime and I enjoyed it and will play more.

This is the main reason why you enjoy SoD2. Game a very repetative, you drop it very soon.

lol, it’s a loot and resource game, those always rely on repetition. As long as you enjoy the loop its fine. I have over 20 hours so far and won’t be stopping any time soon.

Mr Puggsly said:
The first game was a technical mess on 360, still did well.

So I'm not that surprised the sequel has an audience.

It seems to be a technical mess again, so should do well again :)
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-state-of-decay-2-tech-analysis

Funny that DF suddenly cares about performance difference
Xbox One X's visual extras give the game an impressive makeover, but as an online game it's unfair on those owners to receive such a palpable performance penalty, and in the here and now, the developer doesn't seem to have given much attention to ensuring a level playing field between users of both machines.
Never seemed to be a problem when it's the other way around.

The cynic is me says games as a service is just an excuse to release unfinished games, a fancy name for early access, to avoid the kinda backlash No man's sky got.