By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Solo Headed To Become A Flop? Yep, It Flopped.

How Much Will Solo Make WW?

Under $700M 56 60.87%

$700M-$800M 18 19.57%

$801M-$900M 12 13.04%

$901M-$1B 3 3.26%

Over $1B 3 3.26%

Total:92
epicurean said:
I know one person doesn't really matter, but I didn't see Solo specifically because of TLJ. There are definitely others I know who feel the same way. Maybe we are such a tiny minority that it doesn't represent the whole, I dunno. I have no desire to see Ep IX either. Star Wars was my favorite franchise of all time until TLJ.

The SJW aspect was about 1 of about 10 complaints with the movie, so I don't put all my eggs in that basket. It was just a bad, IMO Franchise Ruining movie. Yes, I thought it was worse than any of the prequels, and I thought Ep II was pretty bad, just not franchise ruining.

I don't really care if people think the series is fine, and completely as robust as it was before, but to completely ignore TLJ backlash as being nothing is not accurate either.

Many people feel the same way. Theres social agendas and backlashes being thrown on both sides, theres no doubt of it, but most of us don't care. We want to watch more movies on the series we love, and the Disney Star wars just isn't the same. That is the root problem. The person on the helm didn't like Star wars very much and is trying to change it to something she does while betraying everything that made it special. The SJW pandering is just one of the many consequences, they aren't the cause.

Around the Network

Solo's best case scenario is to finish with 400 million.

So to all the people saying that only a minority of fans are hating on the events that occurred in the past year, then you have to redefine the term.

Looking like a 300 million dollar plus loss for Disney.

The movies need to be made by people who actually like the IP. 

So anyone seen it? Is it actually good. I personally really like rogue one and more so then episode 7 and 8. So am I likely to enjoy this?

I was never a fan of star wars. Havent even seen them all. But i never hated the franchise. After the last jedi i dont even want pirate it.

I get why she took this direction with the franchise. If it was me in charge and i dint like the franchise i to would have changed it into something i do like. But she decided to ditch a big fan base for a tini one. The same way as the marvel comics. They maybe thought the fans would stay nomatter what and gained the new younger crowd but that was far from the case.

I would have understood if this was a new case but it has happened before and in their own Disney owned marver so they should know that there is a limit of how much fans would tolarate and they should also know tha the younger crowd they arw trying to bring is just not interested in all theese old characters or narration.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
areason said:

So to all the people saying that only a minority of fans are hating on the events that occurred in the past year, then you have to redefine the term.

Ouch.

KLAMarine said:
areason said:

Ouch.

lessons not written in blood are easy forgotten . In this case cash lost.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

'Solo' Will Lose $50M-Plus in First Defeat for Disney's 'Star Wars' Empire

Lucasfilm's stand-alone Han Solo origin pic is faltering at the global box office, where it is expected to top out in the $400 million range.

To borrow one of Han Solo's lines from Star Wars: The Force Awakens, "That's not how the Force works!"

It's an apt way to sum up the troubled performance of Solo: A Star Wars Story. In one of the biggest box-office surprises in recent times, Solo is badly underperforming and will become the first of the Star Wars movies made by Disney and Lucasfilm to lose money.

Wall Street analyst Barton Crockett says Solo will lose more than $50 million. Industry financing sources, however, say that figure could come in at $80 million or higher, although no one knows the exact terms of Disney's deals for home entertainment and television, among other ancillary revenues.

Solo, directed by Ron Howard, isn't likely to gross much more than $400 million globally against a budget of at least $250 million and a major multimillion-dollar marketing spend. The movie lost major altitude in its second weekend of play to finish Sunday with a domestic total of $148.9 million and a global cume of $264.2 million.

***Read more at:  https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/solo-will-post-first-loss-disneys-star-wars-empire-1116927

Well that about wraps it up... we officially have the first ever Star Wars bomb at the BO.  Thanks Kathleen Kennedy!

Is anyone honestly even looking forward to Episode IX at this point?  Because I sure as hell ain't.  It's going to be a very interesting next 18 months for this franchise, I'm curious to see if any other of the proposed "spinoff" movies get axed and if any shakeups come at Lucasfilm / the House of Mouse.

Edit:  Also, reason #9,872 why Solo was so bad... according to this post on Wired, that Darth Maul cameo (oh sorry, SPOILER ALERT for the two of you who care!) at the end of the film as the big baddie reveal was apparently a last minute decision by co-writer and nepotism beneficiary Jonathan Kasdan because - get this - Darth Maul was his favorite character in the Prequels.  I kid you not!  Oh, and also there's a "Women of the Galaxy" book coming out featuring an all-female cast of SW characters spotlighted by women and "non-binary" artists, because we need that apparently.  No Mara Jade of course, since she and all the other interesting EU characters that fans love have been banished to the netherworld.

https://www.wired.com/story/cantina-talk-61/

Last edited by NightDragon83 - on 05 June 2018

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

So apparently Kelly Marie Tran was harassed off of Instagram.

https://twitter.com/NicholasJLevi/status/1003766882497892355?s=19

Star Wars "fans".

https://twitter.com/starwarstuff/status/1004040435973656576?s=19

Last edited by Carl - on 06 June 2018

The film was okay but played on nostalgia too much again. Here's how Han got his name, here's how Han got his gun, here's how Han got the Millenium Falcon, here's how he met Chewie. etc The good bits were those that were 'new', the 2 side characters near the start, the sassy droid, the villain but there wasn't enough of it.

Hmm, pie.