By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Solo Headed To Become A Flop? Yep, It Flopped.

How Much Will Solo Make WW?

Under $700M 56 60.87%

$700M-$800M 18 19.57%

$801M-$900M 12 13.04%

$901M-$1B 3 3.26%

Over $1B 3 3.26%

Total:92

Actually saw the movie, my thoughts

- It's basically what I expected. Not bad, but not great. Made for Star Wars fanatics basically, the story is not compelling if you don't give a crap about Star Wars in a big way. There are several neat "geek moments" including one huge one towards the end, if you're going to see it, go in without spoilers.

- The dialogue is heavy on the nose, characters just say flat out exactly what they're thinking all the time.

- Special effects are good, this looks like a movie with a big budget and is a good looking movie.

- The Han actor is not bad, he's better than say Hayden Christensen, but he's a far cry from Harrison Ford, which is probably an unfair ask for any young actor. He doesn't even to me seem to even be trying to imitate Ford, which I suppose is for the best.

- Glover as Lando on the other hand is great. Perfect imitation of Lando Calrissian, even better than Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan. The "controversy" about his character is the most laughable thing ever, it's a non point in the movie. This is 100% Lando through and through.

- For all the political whining this is probably the most non-political Star Wars film ever.

- It's basically a movie for 11 year old boys. It's something I might've enjoyed at that age, there's lots of cool looking aliens and worlds and random adventures, but it's fairly bland storytelling wise and too safe. It basically confirms what I felt ... these standalone movies especially centered around one character are not going to work for Star Wars. They can't use the type of modern humor Marvel, and without that the Star Wars characters become fairly boring and fast. You need to have the back drop of an epic space opera, and these standalone films can't really do that if they focus on one character.

It's not a "bad movie", but it's not a memorable movie either. Looks like a million bucks but zero character development. "Do what Marvel does" is not going to work for Star Wars.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Kathleen Kennedy will be making Star Wars movies for the next 10 years. Get over it.

3/4 Star Wars films she's done have done $1 billion+ like it or not. Marvel has 5 $1 billion+ pictures out of 19 films. That means 75% of the time they don't cross a billion.

Also to me someone who gets this worked up over a freaking kids movie is really a snowflake. 

Also Solo is Lucas' concept and was in development before Disney even bought the franchise, it's the first time Disney used one of Lucas' ideas, and it stars a white male lead. So if anything the box office shows they need more Rey and Finn. TLJ suffers from that too, the second half of the film loses track of its main characters and turns into Luke Skywalker: The Old Fart Movie with the other characters basically put on pause. 

The main fall out from Solo will be likely that solo Star Wars films like Obi-Wan and Boba Fett get shelved for now. 

First bolded :Im sure alot of people will be getting over it by not paying to go see the movie, and that is fine its how we ultimately get changes in direction because it is mostly not about what they think is morally right or wrong, its about profit.

Second bolded: Whos concept it was does not matter it is how well it gets executed and if a big part of the fanbase is dissatisfied then it might be that they made mistakes. Most i know like the actors but dislike the plot and unneeded story.Also why always bring color into it,why even mention its a white male or you think that factor should bring shame?

mushroomboy5 said:
I don’t understand the glee some supposed Star Wars fans seem to be going through right now. Star Wars fans only seem happy when sw is doing badly...Weird little basement dwellers. The Last Jedi was just a movie. There’s been bad Star Wars movies before. Get over it or move on, don’t lurk online for the next 10 years gloating about how badly each new Star Wars release is doing at the box office and what a sinking ship it’s become since Disney took over. Sheesh.

On topic....solo underperformed because of its release schedule. They screwed up with that and had to shove it in somewhere unfortunately (for them) too close to the years most anticipated film which I’m pretty sure was made by the same company anyway. Nothing to do with fan backlash. The majority of people living in the real world don’t even know that tlj was any better or worse than any other sw movie. They are brainless punters with no point of view who just go to see any old crap they’ve seen ads for on tv which is what Hollywood is all about. I’m sure when all is said and done solo will still end up around 800 mill at least which is hardly a failure even if it’s less than the op projected.

The studio actually had Solo as the years most anticipated movie. But sure, whatever you say. 

Chris Hu said:
Maxosaurus-rex said:

Darth Vader wears a cape.

Yeah, but not a fruity one.   Anyway if you're a dude you probably shouldn't wear a cape unless you are Okay with people questioning your sexuality. 

Count dooku wore a cape. General grevious wore one.  Bail Organa wore one. Boba Fett wore one.  Krennic woreone. Just because the film was made a long time ago doesn't mean he's pansexual. If anything  metro sexual .

Anyone who thought this was going to be some huge blockbuster clearly didn't watch the movie. It's not bad, but it's not great either. 

It's a movie for 11 year old boys. There's not much depth to it or anything that interesting to it, if you're a Star Wars fanatic, yes there are a few fanboy-glee moments but that's about it.

This is something that non-hardcore fans are not going to enjoy that much, it's vanilla entertainment in the world of Deadpool and Infinity Gauntlet raising the stakes, this feels very dated and dull like something out of the 1980s microwaved and reheated with modern special effects.

Star Wars characters just aren't strong enough to carry an entire film on their own, Star Wars works as a broad space opera with multiple characters and high stakes ... this side story shit isn't gonna work for Star Wars. Marvel they ain't. Han Solo without Harrison Ford is also boring, Lando is more interesting in this film, the movie drags whenever he's off the screen. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 28 May 2018

Around the Network
Maxosaurus-rex said:

The studio actually had Solo as the years most anticipated movie. But sure, whatever you say. 

Link to this info please....I’d find it hard to believe the same studio that released infinity war ( Disney’s obvious big film for the year)had solo, a spin off movie plagued with troubles, as their  most anticipated movie of the year  but If you say so. The Disney reps have often stated they don’t expect their Star Wars tie in movies (which solo was) to do anywhere near the business the main ‘episodes’ do so seriously where you get that info from?

mushroomboy5 said:
Maxosaurus-rex said:

Link to this info please....I’d find it hard to believe the same studio that released infinity war ( Disney’s obvious big film for the year)had solo, a spin off movie plagued with troubles, as their  most anticipated movie of the year  but If you say so. The Disney reps have often stated they don’t expect their Star Wars tie in movies (which solo was) to do anywhere near the business the main ‘episodes’ do so seriously where you get that info from?

No fucking way could any exec actually watch all three movies and conclude Solo was their "big" film for 2018 over IW and Black Panther. This is a bland film that only hardcore Star Wars nerds will really get into. Disney shat this out with minimal marketing and sent it to die in the May release spot. 

Soundwave said:
mushroomboy5 said:

No fucking way could any exec actually watch all three movies and conclude Solo was their "big" film for 2018 over IW and Black Panther. This is a bland film that only hardcore Star Wars nerds will really get into. Disney shat this out with minimal marketing and sent it to die in the May release spot. 

Black Panther is debatable. That movie really ballooned up beyond all expectations. As I recall, the early projections for that movie were a fair bit lower than the initial projections for Solo.

Totally agreed on IW though, and I would add Incredibles 2 as well.

So, did it flop?

Maxosaurus-rex said:
mushroomboy5 said:
I don’t understand the glee some supposed Star Wars fans seem to be going through right now. Star Wars fans only seem happy when sw is doing badly...Weird little basement dwellers. The Last Jedi was just a movie. There’s been bad Star Wars movies before. Get over it or move on, don’t lurk online for the next 10 years gloating about how badly each new Star Wars release is doing at the box office and what a sinking ship it’s become since Disney took over. Sheesh.

On topic....solo underperformed because of its release schedule. They screwed up with that and had to shove it in somewhere unfortunately (for them) too close to the years most anticipated film which I’m pretty sure was made by the same company anyway. Nothing to do with fan backlash. The majority of people living in the real world don’t even know that tlj was any better or worse than any other sw movie. They are brainless punters with no point of view who just go to see any old crap they’ve seen ads for on tv which is what Hollywood is all about. I’m sure when all is said and done solo will still end up around 800 mill at least which is hardly a failure even if it’s less than the op projected.

Lol you´re full of shit. Both Infinity war and Incredibles 2 had a way better projection. They knew they were taking on Deadpool 2 and Jurrasic World 2 they didnt expect this to do as well as the other movies.