By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Solo Headed To Become A Flop? Yep, It Flopped.

How Much Will Solo Make WW?

Under $700M 56 60.87%

$700M-$800M 18 19.57%

$801M-$900M 12 13.04%

$901M-$1B 3 3.26%

Over $1B 3 3.26%

Total:92
Soundwave said:
Azuren said:

I like how when faced with explicit evidence of identity politics, your response is to regress to baiting me into a pedantic argument. It feels like vindication.

Equality (or even the movement towards that) will always elicit the response of feeling oppressed by the privileged. You wanna hear someone whine and complain? Put them in 5 star hotels all their life and then ask them to stay in a 3 star hotel for a weekend and right on cue ...

Of course it's not "identity politics" when every character in a movie is white. That doesn't require any special explanation and everyone should just go with that. If a person is black in a major role or something other than the "norm" they must "explain" why they are there. Never mind how many actors of a different ethnicity in Hollywood have been black balled and locked out of roles for decades due to ridiculous casting policies.

But are they now though?

We literally have a black pansexual in a Star Wars film and relatively anyone rational is chill with it or doesn't care to freak out about. The fact you feel we need a 'diversity quota' is quite honestly pathetic. If they are the right actor they are the right actor, no matter the race, sex, or orientation.

Around the Network

Jeez. This thread blew up.

Soundwave said:
Azuren said:

I like how when faced with explicit evidence of identity politics, your response is to regress to baiting me into a pedantic argument. It feels like vindication.

Equality (or even the movement towards that) will always elicit the response of feeling oppressed by the privileged. You wanna hear someone whine and complain? Put them in 5 star hotels all their life and then ask them to stay in a 3 star hotel for a weekend and right on cue ...

Of course it's not "identity politics" when every character in a movie is white. That doesn't require any special explanation and everyone should just go with that. If a person is black in a major role or something other than the "norm" they must "explain" why they are there. Never mind how many actors of a different ethnicity in Hollywood have been black balled and locked out of roles for decades due to ridiculous casting policies.

Good writing is the key. If you write a character good enough, the audience will accept that character. If not, then the audience sees nothing but studio-mandated casting. A good example is Lando in Star Wars. Nobody ever questioned why he was black. Nobody cared. They got a good actor in a well written role for a character who had a real purpose. Night of the Living Dead is another example. When Duane Jones was cast in the lead role, George Romero claimed that his skin color had nothing to do with the decision and it shows in the movie. He simply gave the best performance. Then there's Wesley Snipes in Blade. A lot of people who saw the movie didn't even know it was based on a comic book. People saw it and accepted Snipes in the role without question. That's because he was good. The Blade series even did well in places like China where movies with black leads often have a hard time performing. 

Whenever an explanation has to be given as to why a person of a certain ethnicity is in a movie and it isn't essential to there overall plot, then that usually means that character was shoehorned by the studio and they originally weren't supposed to be there. Audiences nowadays catch on to this more than they did years ago, though I would argue the writing for such characters in movies have gotten worse which may be why people are catching on. Speaking of shoehorning and virtue signaling, the people who make the biggest deal out of any of this are the ones trying to push the identity politics. That's what distinguishes the identity politics from the creative process. All the movies I mentioned above had nothing to do with identity politics because the people who made those movies were focusing on making a quality product. 

As for hiring practices from half a century ago, who cares? Most of the people who made those decisions died long ago. If I'm a filmmaker, what happened 50-60 years ago shouldn't have an impact who I want in my movies. 

Last edited by Jon-Erich - on 28 May 2018

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

mushroomboy5 said:
I don’t understand the glee some supposed Star Wars fans seem to be going through right now. Star Wars fans only seem happy when sw is doing badly...Weird little basement dwellers. The Last Jedi was just a movie. There’s been bad Star Wars movies before. Get over it or move on, don’t lurk online for the next 10 years gloating about how badly each new Star Wars release is doing at the box office and what a sinking ship it’s become since Disney took over. Sheesh.

On topic....solo underperformed because of its release schedule. They screwed up with that and had to shove it in somewhere unfortunately (for them) too close to the years most anticipated film which I’m pretty sure was made by the same company anyway. Nothing to do with fan backlash. The majority of people living in the real world don’t even know that tlj was any better or worse than any other sw movie. They are brainless punters with no point of view who just go to see any old crap they’ve seen ads for on tv which is what Hollywood is all about. I’m sure when all is said and done solo will still end up around 800 mill at least which is hardly a failure even if it’s less than the op projected.

(Fingers in ears, eyes closed) There's no fan backlash. There's no fan backlash. There's no fan backlash!! 

You guys can keep trying to use the same tired excuses over and over, but they're wrong. They've been proven wrong so many times. But, if it helps you sleep at night, continue on. 

Mr.GameCrazy said:

Yup, about 90 post in 6 hours

Proud to be a Californian.

Around the Network

The movie is doing poorly because the trailer was bad. I saw it advertised on TV and it looked like a compilation of the boring parts of old Star Wars movies. I have a few friends who felt the same way and I wouldn’t be surprised if that sentiment was common.

darkenergy said:
Mr.GameCrazy said:

Yup, about 90 post in 6 hours

Damn.

thism

(Fingers in ears, eyes closed) There's no fan backlash. There's no fan backlash. There's no fan backlash!! 

You guys can keep trying to use the same tired excuses over and over, but they're wrong. They've been proven wrong so many times. But, if it helps you sleep at night, continue on. 

My interests are in the box office in general and I couldn’t really care less for Star Wars so not sure who ‘you guys’ are. I certainly won’t ‘continue on’ in fact doubt I’ll ever see or discuss another Star Wars movie again as I’m not interested in spaceships and laser guns etc

oh there’s fan backlash alright I’m just saying the rest of the world probably doesn’t care about it. Yknow they’re out doing stuff

Last edited by mushroomboy5 - on 28 May 2018

Maxosaurus-rex said:
Chris Hu said:

People shouldn't be upset that Lando is a pansexual he is a freaking fictional character.  Plus the signs where always there the dude wears a cape.

Darth Vader wears a cape.

Yeah, but not a fruity one.   Anyway if you're a dude you probably shouldn't wear a cape unless you are Okay with people questioning your sexuality. 

It's a shame Solo isn't doing well in theaters right now. I thought Solo was an entertaining film. I liked how Han and Chewie met and I enjoyed the Kessel Run. The train scene was cool too. I personally think Alden Ehrenreich and Donald Glover did a great job as Han Solo and Lando respectfully. Looking forward to future Star Wars Story films.