By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Arms hurt itself by pushing motion controls

Been a while since I have been on here. But I recently got Arms and I had to come on here to say how much better it is with the pro controller. I didn't buy it because I was turned off by the motion controls and I feel like a lot of other people were as well. But that game takes so much skill and is so deep and good with the pro controller, I love it! They put out the free demo recently and I played it and was instantly hooked and went out and bought it. I suggest all switch owners give the demo a try with the pro controller.

Around the Network

No it didn't. A lack of content at launch and slow update releases limited its sales. Splatoon and Mario Odyssey push motion controls, and they had no problems selling crazy numbers, hell, even 1-2 Switch outsold ARMS. ARMS did well, but for a sequel, Nintendo needs to improve their pace at updating the game with new content. Motion controls are default in ARMS because that's the control scheme the game was designed to be played with. 

It still did really, and I mean really really good though, better than most were expecting for a non traditional 2017 fighting game. You can still use traditional controls and I think it would be missing something without the motion feature. It's one of the biggest games that helps sell the concept of the joycons.

TheMisterManGuy said:

No it didn't. A lack of content at launch and slow update releases limited its sales. Splatoon and Mario Odyssey push motion controls, and they had no problems selling crazy numbers, hell, even 1-2 Switch outsold ARMS. ARMS did well, but for a sequel, Nintendo needs to improve their pace at updating the game with new content.

Like I said the way they pushed motion controls made me lose interest in it and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I hate them. But I love the game without them. Splatoon 2 and Mario barely use motion controls. The aiming in splatoon is very easy and I can play that game laying down, same with Mario. Yes they have motion controls but you're barely moving.... Sure there was and you could argue still is a serious lack of content in Arms but the fighting is so deep. Every bit as deep as smash. All I do is ranked matches and it's super competitive and fun I don't need anything else. Just wish more people realized how much skill the game takes.

Hiku said:

I wasn't particularly knowledgeable about ARMS, but I knew that motion controls were just an option.

And I don't know why anyone would presume otherwise. Because each games has to be playable on the go, right? At least that was my impression. You can't always place down the screen somewhere and swing your arms wildly in a crowded subway cart.
Are there any games that are motion control only? (Conventional games. Not things like Labo.)

I don't think there are any motion control only games. But that's not my point. I knew you had the option to use a controller but I thought the controls would suck because I thought they just built the game for motion controls and didn't think it would work as well with a regular controller. But I was surprised to find out it's way better.

Around the Network
illdill1987 said:

Like I said the way they pushed motion controls made me lose interest in it and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I hate them. But I love the game without them. Splatoon 2 and Mario barely use motion controls. The aiming in splatoon is very easy and I can play that game laying down, same with Mario. Yes they have motion controls but you're barely moving.... Sure there was and you could argue still is a serious lack of content in Arms but the fighting is so deep. Every bit as deep as smash. All I do is ranked matches and it's super competitive and fun I don't need anything else. Just wish more people realized how much skill the game takes.

Of course, there are people like you who prefer the button configuration, that's why Nintendo added it. But my point was that ARMS was designed primarily for the Joy-Con motion controls, it's how the game was designed to be played, and thus all promotional aspects of the game need to feature that control scheme almost exclusively. 

I kind of feel the only thing that held Arms back was how simplistic it was. That's not to say the gameplay isn't fun, but rather that it just didn't feel like it was offering the typical amount of content you'd expect from a $60 game. The motion controls were, in my opinion, actually spot on and impressive, and given they weren't mandatory I don't think I'd go so far as to say they hurt the game overall.

Despite that, it still sold pretty darn well for a new IP. I hope they take another crack at it with more modes and content.

Nintendo should've tried pushing the traditional control scheme a bit harder.

There just isn't enough interesting content in ARMS to keep a player invested long term.
I think that was more harmful to the game's long-term success.

I had little to no interest in the game until right up to launch. It never was a really appealing game but somehow, it put up respectable numbers (lack of competition?).

I actually really enjoyed the game with the joy-cons. I only traded it in because with the games that came out afterward like fire emblem warriors and mario, along with soon to be games this year, it was hardly going to get more play time.