By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Arms hurt itself by pushing motion controls

Soundwave said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
Agreed. Motion controls need to die already.

There hasn't been a breakout motion controlled hit franchise since like ... Just Dance? Its dying, Nintendo just wants confirmation I guess. 

Splatoon uses optional minor motion assisted aiming, it's not a "waggle" game. 

Motion controls aren't dying. Its not in everything but there is no need for a play style to die just because some of you don't like it.

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD

Around the Network

I really don't see that as being the case at all. Motion Controls are awesome for certain types of games, and Arms was an obvious choice for motion controls. If you don't like motion controls, which seems to be the case with the OP, then that would be the case, but thats purely down to personal opinion. I haven't played Arms so maybe the game is better with a standard controller, I dunno, but the only thing that made me ever consider getting it was the fact that it has motion controls. Besides, it sold really well for a new IP and a 3D fighting game.

I think this just comes down to someone who doesn't like motion controls thinks nobody likes motion controls so that must have hurt sales. The Wii made it very obvious that people like motion controls.

It hurt itself in a similar way that SFV hurt itself at launch, with not nearly enough set up for the casual players. The fact that it sold as well as it has given it is a new IP.

illdill1987 said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

No it didn't. A lack of content at launch and slow update releases limited its sales. Splatoon and Mario Odyssey push motion controls, and they had no problems selling crazy numbers, hell, even 1-2 Switch outsold ARMS. ARMS did well, but for a sequel, Nintendo needs to improve their pace at updating the game with new content.

Like I said the way they pushed motion controls made me lose interest in it and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I hate them. But I love the game without them. Splatoon 2 and Mario barely use motion controls. The aiming in splatoon is very easy and I can play that game laying down, same with Mario. Yes they have motion controls but you're barely moving.... Sure there was and you could argue still is a serious lack of content in Arms but the fighting is so deep. Every bit as deep as smash. All I do is ranked matches and it's super competitive and fun I don't need anything else. Just wish more people realized how much skill the game takes.

I doubt I would have purchased the game anyway, but I was definitely turned off by the motion controls.  I dislike motion controls at least 80% of the time.  The only game I can think of where I really enjoyed using motion controls was Mario Kart 8, on the Wii U.  

For me it was a simple as I want a real boxing game lol.

The PSVR looks like it has a good one coming.

Around the Network

I think motion controls are really good in ARMS. I don’t see much of a problem with Yabuki pushing motion controls as long as it works. Plus it’s one of the Joy Cons’ key features so they had to utilize them somehow. Motion controls work for me in Splatoon as well.

ARMS has sold close to 2 million as a new IP that had not much glamor compared to the likes of The Order, Horizon, Titanfall, etc. It sold well in a genre in which SFV selling 2 million is considered a disappointment. It’s selling better than most fighting games outside of Smash, Tekken, Injustice, and Mortal Kombat.