By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - I'm tired of this overemphasis on diversity spilling into our entertainment.

GOWTLOZ said:
VGPolyglot said:

But why is that the case? We can't just say it's the case and leave it at that, we have to figure out if it's biologically-related or socially-related.

Anecdotal but it may have to do with both. Men have to be successful financially to get a partner so they are inclined towards entrepreneurship to get success, fame and women. Women aren't expected to do such things and they don't need to be successful in their career to get a partner. Men are expected to be funny while looking good to attract a mate so they develop their sense of humour. Women are expected to be motherly and don't need to be logical so they see little gains from going into the sciences. It is socially structured as a result of biology and nature itself suggests so.

A study showed that women have IQ's close to a 100 with little deviation towards the high and low end while men's IQ is spread across the spectrum. This is why most business people and astrophysicists are men while most people in mental asylums are men as well. It makes sense, men are throwaway by nature as 1 man can impregnate many women for the growth of the populace but every woman is needed to give birth to children so nature is experimental with men.

Yeah, you lost me here. What study are you talking about? Even if that's the case, there are still extreme flaws with measuring by one's IQ. Women don't need to be logical? In fact, it's the exact opposite, women need to be logical because would you want an illogical person raising a child?

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
GOWTLOZ said:

Anecdotal but it may have to do with both. Men have to be successful financially to get a partner so they are inclined towards entrepreneurship to get success, fame and women. Women aren't expected to do such things and they don't need to be successful in their career to get a partner. Men are expected to be funny while looking good to attract a mate so they develop their sense of humour. Women are expected to be motherly and don't need to be logical so they see little gains from going into the sciences. It is socially structured as a result of biology and nature itself suggests so.

A study showed that women have IQ's close to a 100 with little deviation towards the high and low end while men's IQ is spread across the spectrum. This is why most business people and astrophysicists are men while most people in mental asylums are men as well. It makes sense, men are throwaway by nature as 1 man can impregnate many women for the growth of the populace but every woman is needed to give birth to children so nature is experimental with men.

Yeah, you lost me here. What study are you talking about? Even if that's the case, there are still extreme flaws with measuring by one's IQ. Women don't need to be logical? In fact, it's the exact opposite, women need to be logical because would you want an illogical person raising a child?

Women need to be logical but don't require the reasoning abilities needed in stuff like stem fields. Everyone needs practical intelligence, that goes without saying. This is my interpretation based on what I've experienced in school, college, events, gatherings and talking to people from all walks of life.

Study: http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/10/02/sorry-girls-but-the-smartest-people-in-the-world-are-all-men/

I'm not saying IQ is everything but there is a reason it is used as a metric in so many areas.

TheDarkShape said:

Your rant breaks down to white+straight+male is the default, and you need a specific story-driven reason to deviate from that.

Call me crazy, but even as a white straight male, I have enough empathetic capability to be able to play as, say, a black lesbian female and not freak out about it.

In other words, you didn't read a single word.

I said, diversity is fine for NEW IPs. I love playing as female characters, for example. BUT WHY CHANGE OLD STORIES AND CLASSIC CHARACTERS WE LOVE INTO DIFFERENT VERSIONS THAT THEY SIMPLY AREN'T SUPPOSED TO BE?

PLEASE READ BEFORE COMMENTING.

fatherofone said:
To the original poster. You are not alone. If you look at Marvel Comics, they have gone from selling 750k a month in comics during the non SJW days and now they are lucky to sell 40k. SJW Star Wars is going down the same route. Again you are not alone! There are a LOT of people like you that don't even want to have a real conversation because they will be called a racist, sexist or homophobe. This thread shows how far the radical SJWs have come, but there is good news. People like you and myself are calling these people out.

Next we have to see how the results of SOLO come in... As a former Star Wars fan, it will be bittersweet to see the results. On one hand they have to suffer like Marvel to change, but on the other hand they will take a franchise that was once great down.

Solo flopped. It flopped hard. It deserves to flop too.

Yes, I know a lot of people agree with me. They just don't want to say what they're thinking coz it's "politically incorrect". The SJWs just don't like it when you reverse the position and call them out about it.

I wholeheartedly agree man. Its gotten so horrificly bad...

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
GOWTLOZ said:

Anecdotal but it may have to do with both. 

Which is literally what I said in the post you quoted a few posts ago.  

Both culture and biology impact these types of things.  

You speak as if those equally have something to do with it when mainly it's biology which data supports.

GOWTLOZ said:
VGPolyglot said:

Women need to be logical but don't require the reasoning abilities needed in stuff like stem fields. Everyone needs practical intelligence, that goes without saying. This is my interpretation based on what I've experienced in school, college, events, gatherings and talking to people from all walks of life.

Study: http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/10/02/sorry-girls-but-the-smartest-people-in-the-world-are-all-men/

I'm not saying IQ is everything but there is a reason it is used as a metric in so many areas.

Read the title of that article. Is that something that you think should be taken seriously? It also sources Daily Mail, along with itself, which makes it harder to believe. Also, IQ is used as a metric in so many areas because it's a convenient way to attempt to show intelligence without digging deeper into what it is.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/iq-tests-are-fundamentally-flawed-and-using-them-alone-to-measure-intelligence-is-a-fallacy-study-8425911.html

https://www.storypick.com/iq-test/

https://www.livestrong.com/article/127284-disadvantages-iq-tests/

RuiOrey said:

The first software developer was Ada Lovelace -> a woman.

My boss is a structural engineer woman. I had good bosses guys and good bosses women and bad bosses women and bad bosses man.

There are guys I know that would not work for a woman. I don't give a shit. They are equal for me in terms of jobs capabilities and accountability.

lI could not care less of a crap if women are all around in media.

Is different at minimum. Difference stimulates creativity.

Move on with your life.

Don't be afraid and complaining of losing you masculine identity all the time and crying about women taking on the media movies game whatever you play on your ass seated down.

That is not manly. That is childish.

Maybe you didn't read what I posted properly. I said, if you want to make a female, gay, transgender, black, asian, whatever character, MAKE A NEW ONE. DON'T CHANGE EXISTING ONES JUST FOR YOUR STUPID SOCIAL JUSTICE AGENDA.

the-pi-guy said:
Aeolus451 said:

You speak as if those equally have something to do with it when mainly it's biology which data supports.

I haven't seen anything you've shared that compared biology and culture.  

The monkey study doesn't talk about culture at all.  There's nothing substantial in the firedfortruth article comparing the two either either.  

That's because you didn't actually read the memo and its sources. He sourced studies that provide alot more proof than what you did (which didn't show that women are picking the careers they do because of culture.)

the-pi-guy said:
Aeolus451 said:

The majority of women don't want x otherwise they'd be doing it. There's no boundaries for them to get any career they want. 

Just because people aren't doing something, doesn't mean they don't want to.  I'm not currently doing the job I want to.  

There are certain jobs I would like to do, but probably won't.  

I have personal experience of women not being sure they wanted to go into Computer Science, because it's a male-dominated field. So yes, these things do happen.  Even if there are biological factors that would drive women into different fields, I have personal experience that shows there are also cultural factors. 

Aeolus451 said:

Even if we made everything as suited as much to women in schooling/training, they'd still prefer certain careers over others. I don't care if there's "not enough" women in certain careers because it's due to natural occurring preferences and not some conspiracy theory plot by men to stop women from having any good jobs. 

Literally no one has said this is some kind of conspiracy.

What is being said, is that women have a perception of certain fields being more for men.  And having female role models in those positions makes it more likely for women to consider those positions.  

Aeolus451 said:

It's not the job of any government to get so involved in people's lives that they're interested in socially engineering people to correct them. If women want to work in certain fields, let 'em.

Except the government isn't doing anything.  The people who are doing the most to get people involved in certain fields are private companies, and universities.  Companies like Google, Intel and Facebook, they're the ones that are working on hiring more.  It's not the US government that is doing anything to get women into fields.  

Cooking is something that is very much considered feminine and the work of a woman, still professionally it's dominated by men... is there a cultural pressure that prevents women to become great chefs?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."