By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - I'm tired of this overemphasis on diversity spilling into our entertainment.

DonFerrari said:
the-pi-guy said:

Just because people aren't doing something, doesn't mean they don't want to.  I'm not currently doing the job I want to.  

There are certain jobs I would like to do, but probably won't.  

I have personal experience of women not being sure they wanted to go into Computer Science, because it's a male-dominated field. So yes, these things do happen.  Even if there are biological factors that would drive women into different fields, I have personal experience that shows there are also cultural factors. 

Literally no one has said this is some kind of conspiracy.

What is being said, is that women have a perception of certain fields being more for men.  And having female role models in those positions makes it more likely for women to consider those positions.  

Except the government isn't doing anything.  The people who are doing the most to get people involved in certain fields are private companies, and universities.  Companies like Google, Intel and Facebook, they're the ones that are working on hiring more.  It's not the US government that is doing anything to get women into fields.  

Cooking is something that is very much considered feminine and the work of a woman, still professionally it's dominated by men... is there a cultural pressure that prevents women to become great chefs?

Do you even know what you're trying to say here?

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
DonFerrari said:

Cooking is something that is very much considered feminine and the work of a woman, still professionally it's dominated by men... is there a cultural pressure that prevents women to become great chefs?

Yes.

That saying "men dominates this field" for even middle school maths prevents woman to do good (unless incentivized to do it, like putting female teacher) but cooking which is a field dominated by women have no issue in man going and becoming the greatest chefs.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
VGPolyglot said:

Yes.

That saying "men dominates this field" for even middle school maths prevents woman to do good (unless incentivized to do it, like putting female teacher) but cooking which is a field dominated by women have no issue in man going and becoming the greatest chefs.

When the argument is that there is a clear disadvantage against women in the workforce, showing an example of that disadvantage is inadvertently going against what you're trying to argue.

VGPolyglot said:
DonFerrari said:

Yes.

When the argument is that there is a clear disadvantage against women in the workforce, showing an example of that disadvantage is inadvertently going against what you're trying to argue.

Nope. His argument is that women do bad in math and don't choose STEM because they think the field is male dominated and they need a strong female presence in the teacher to be willing to even study.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
VGPolyglot said:

Nope. His argument is that women do bad in math and don't choose STEM because they think the field is male dominated and they need a strong female presence in the teacher to be willing to even study.

Where did he say that women do poorly in math? He said that there are cultural reasons that bar women from being as successful as men.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
DonFerrari said:

Where did he say that women do poorly in math? He said that there are cultural reasons that bar women from being as successful as men.

Go look at the "studies" he provided to show that when women had woman teacher they would answer more in class, would try to answer more questions on the test, etc. You seem to be antagonizing me for your own reading skills failing.

VGPolyglot said:
DonFerrari said:

Yes.

What is your definition of disadvantaged? Are you looking at it from the angle of said woman in question or society?

There are plenty of reasons men tend to dominate specific subfields and women as well. Take for instance construction workers. Most of these guys are 20-40 year old men. Why is that? The male body is more physically suit for rigorous work on a daily basis and can grow muscle quicker with better output than say a woman (https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/weight-loss-wars-men-vs-women#1). Women have more caring aspects in them, and as such they have dominated teaching and nursing professions for nearly their entire existence.

I guess my thing is I don't know what there is to argue here. Men and women both have different qualities and body compositions that make them unique individuals. If you're trying to say that there is inherent sexism in certain fields such as manual labor, I need the proof that it's widespread (even though if there is any it's most likely case by case). If there is no evidence of said discriminaiton, your argument essentially boils down to genetics are sexist, which is flawed in itself to say the least.

I mean if you are a fan of exploring the same themes and story beats because you're against diversity then enjoy stagnation...

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

ShadowSoldier said:
I mean if you are a fan of exploring the same themes and story beats because you're against diversity then enjoy stagnation...

Stagnation?

Batman has been freaking white male ever since he was made. Guess what? Batman comics, movies, merchandise, cartoons, etc. continue to be made. You don't need to change a beloved character to keep him popular.

Just like Lara Croft has been a white British woman ever since she was created. Do you need to make a male version? No! She's fine the way she is! Just like all the characters that people love, they're fine!

So your argument is trash!

bugrimmar said:
ShadowSoldier said:

Stagnation?

Batman has been freaking white male ever since he was made. Guess what? Batman comics, movies, merchandise, cartoons, etc. continue to be made. You don't need to change a beloved character to keep him popular.

Just like Lara Croft has been a white British woman ever since she was created. Do you need to make a male version? No! She's fine the way she is! Just like all the characters that people love, they're fine!

So your argument is trash!

Batman is a title, same with Tomb Raider, that's not the same of specific people such as Bruce Wayne and Lara Croft. Since Batman is just a title anyone can inherit/claim/steal/etc. it, same with the Tomb Raider.