By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - I'm tired of this overemphasis on diversity spilling into our entertainment.

Snoopy said:
the-pi-guy said:

I'm wondering how on Earth, the Death Note movie has anything to do with this thread.  

Movie was a tragedy, and L was almost a highlight.  

The character "L" seemed force for diversity reason imo. Completly different from the anime show.

I’m guessing that’s similar to fox making Johnny storm black in the newest fantastic four movie, electro was also black in the amazing Spider-Man 2, and now the new ninja turtles show has a black April? 

Im not really understanding why entertainment companies lately are taking known characters and changing their original gender or race. Why not just come up with brand new characters who are male, female, black, gay, whatever, instead of altering famous established characters. That would be like making black panther white or Asian. It wouldn’t look right. 

As for the death note movie, that was a colossal train wreck. 

Around the Network
collint0101 said:
Azuren said:

You keep bringing up age like it's a big deal, but it isn't.

Planet Hulk was either not going to happen at all because of Universal, or it was going to be a cameo arc. I'd rather have some than none.

You know, you keep circling back around to Civil War, but literally everything wrong with it has to do with the fact that X-Men isn't there. Not having mutants in it changes the entire story from the ground up, which is *gasp* another studio issue. 

And I'm sure you'll twist yourself in knots trying to come up with more examples. Maybe you'll start vetting them a bit more, but I'm sure I'll get to repeat the lines about Civil War a few more times. And people don't generally complain about minor characters (unless you consider major characters like Johnny Storm and Domino to actually be minor).

Ok you want some non civil war examples. Days of future past was about kitty pryde not wolverine, captain marvel didn't show up 20 years before characters like spiderman and iron Man, ant man and wasp were on the original avengers team, Ultron actually managed to stick around for more than a few days and I can easily go on. I honestly can't think of a single super hero movie that accurately follows the comics even in situations where there's no legal reason for them change things but like I said no one cares until they change someone's race. If the internet existed 20 years ago people like you probably would have complained about ultimate Nick fury being a black guy but wouldn't say a word about the dozens of other differences between the ultimate and 616 universe

Days of Future past starred Wolverine because the timeline doesn't work the way it does in the comics and Kitty Pryde would not have been born yet.

We have absolutely zero context on why Carol is showing up so far in advance, so bringing this up is really just grasping for straws.

Ant-Man and Wasp were also viewed as B-tier characters at the time the first Avengers came out, and weren't given a chance until after the second Avengers.

Age of Ultron was already way too long, and partitioned movies usually catch a lot of negative response. Including all of his shenanigans would have taken up too much screen time.

Nick Fury (MCU) is based on Ultimate Nick Fury from the Ultimate Marvel comics; he has basis in comics, and has been a thing for 17 years.

And to sum things up: people don't like core aspects of what makes their character them being changed for what is literally no reason. You can change the age Peter Parker joined in the Civil War, but you can't decide Peter Parker is black. No, you make a black character to take that identity as well, like Miles Morales. No one's saying there can't be a black Wolverine. But James Howlett is a white canadian.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

I think some people are missing the point of this thread. I don't think the vast majority of people here actually have a problem with diversity in entertainment/media/culture. Why would they? Do you honestly think most reasonable white men are outraged by the fact that we're only featured in 70% of entertainment now rather than the 80% or so of the past?

Rather, the issue most have is what this obsession with diversity often implies - which is a laziness and a sort of easy solution to generate interest to or sell a product, while on another level undermining traits that REALLY matter with is actual content of the product, or the character or actions of the individuals.

Going back to the Ghostbusters example again - Sony completely sold the movie on the fact that "it's Ghostbusters with chicks!" to draw attention to it. Then when the vast majority slagged it for the dumpster fire it was (which had nothing to do with the fact that the protagonists were female), they were labeled sexists. And the movie got a ton of undeserved for attention for being essentially a shitty SNL style derpy comedy that's probably Adam Sander level of quality at best.

At the end of the day this phony importance placed on diversity often is just corporate marketing to be looked upon favorably by the keepers of the morals and cultural authorities in society, and provides an excuse for them to be lazy with their end product. It's a gimmick. At least this is the way I see it.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

DarthMetalliCube said:
I think some people are missing the point of this thread. I don't think the vast majority of people here actually have a problem with diversity in entertainment/media/culture. Why would they? Do you honestly think most reasonable white men are outraged by the fact that we're only featured in 70% of entertainment now rather than the 80% or so of the past?

Rather, the issue most have is what this obsession with diversity often implies - which is a laziness and a sort of easy solution to generate interest to or sell a product, while on another level undermining traits that REALLY matter with is actual content of the product, or the character or actions of the individuals.

Going back to the Ghostbusters example again - Sony completely sold the movie on the fact that "it's Ghostbusters with chicks!" to draw attention to it. Then when the vast majority slagged it for the dumpster fire it was (which had nothing to do with the fact that the protagonists were female), they were labeled sexists. And the movie got a ton of undeserved for attention for being essentially a shitty SNL style derpy comedy that's probably Adam Sander level of quality at best.

At the end of the day this phony importance placed on diversity often is just corporate marketing to be looked upon favorably by the keepers of the morals and cultural authorities in society, and provides an excuse for them to be lazy with their end product. It's a gimmick. At least this is the way I see it.

You give them too much credit; Adam Sandler at least used to be hilarious (and Grown-Ups is actually a fun movie to watch, it just doesn't have a real climax).

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

VGPolyglot said:
outlawauron said:

Because something that is done for the sake of being that is not creating depth. It's literally the most shallow thing a trait can be and usually gets placed instead of actual meaningful character development. Multiple viewpoints and having a diverse casts are a good thing, but doing things for the sake of doing is lazy and worsens the product 99% of the time.

Is that and meaningful character development mutually exclusive?

They are mutually exclusive but in current gaming industry, they're pretty tied together. When the entire depth of a character is "they gay and stuff", then their effort to have a diverse character has now become the single defining trait of that character.

Smear-Gel said:
outlawauron said:

Because something that is done for the sake of being that is not creating depth. It's literally the most shallow thing a trait can be and usually gets placed instead of actual meaningful character development. Multiple viewpoints and having a diverse casts are a good thing, but doing things for the sake of doing is lazy and worsens the product 99% of the time.

There is no provable metric that shows doing something for the sake of it worsen's the product, especially since you yourself also say its shallow and thus, doesnt really matter.

Of course there's not a provable metric, but ultimately we're talking about subjective taste in the quality of a game's story and/or cast. That said, there are numerous observable cases of developers being directed to have more diverse characters for the sake of it and thus said characters being entirely one-dimensional and poorly developed (if at all).

Hopefully we get to a point where developers are able to have diverse casts and stories that aren't done in response to media.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
Azuren said:
collint0101 said:

Johnny storm was like 13 when he first went into space but I haven't heard anyone complain about that. I don't take comic book fans seriously because they only seem to care whenever a change involves race. Changing literally everything about civil war except for captain america punching iron Man is fine and dandy but Valkyrie is played by a brown chick and all hell breaks loose. If that doesn't scream double standard then I don't know what does.

And there wouldn't be a double standard in your case if they made Falcon white, right?

Changing age isn't a big deal, since most instance of FF take place during Johnny being an adult, meaning making the movie with a kid would have thrown off the general population who know adult Johnny from the cartoon and comics. Civil War changed in its entirety because Fox owned the mutants, who were a HUGE point of contention and practically the point of Civil War.

But do you have any instances of this double standard that aren't super easily debunked?

You probably don't go to their forums to see that they will discuss all minute changes and heated discussions right?

Because for Manga vs Anime, which are made by same team and have very minimal changes all is heavily discussed with some liking or hating them.

Dragon Ball had Mr. Popo changed to blue in USA so SJW wouldn't keep complaining about the black guy with exaggerated facial features. Same with Jinx in Pokemon. Yet no japanese fucking cares that they call one another monkey and have Goku with a tail or animal humanoids ruling the world.

Signalstar said:

Well it looks like things are going your way...

Major Studios Released a Historically Low Amount of LGBTQ-Inclusive Films in 2017 — Report

Just 14 titles included identifiably lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or queer characters, tied for the lowest total since GLAAD began tracking the stats in 2012.

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/05/studios-lgbtq-films-2017-report-glaad-1201967430/

Happy now?

Two points on that. First do anyone have to be identifiable in any of those categories or "cis gender"? If any character isn't said to be cis gender or show to be, you can also assume he isn't for all anyone care. Do you think they got their time tracking how many of the chars were identified/confirmed to be cis versus the rest and see how that fit to demographics?

And you clearly missed the OP, where he isn't complaining about having LGBTQ+ in media. If the story makes their gender important than it should explore it, but if it is either just tossed there or changed a character for it is the points of complain.

PortisheadBiscuit said:
DonFerrari said:

Seems like you didn't read the topic... and also if no one cares then why is it being made? And personal attacks for what reason? Are you going to accuse me of being advocate?

Personal attack? Definitely a stretch

"Who cares" can be used as an idiom, I OBVIOUSLY wasn't using it in a literal sense. 

Is that one of the it only matters in one direction?

collint0101 said:
Azuren said:

And there wouldn't be a double standard in your case if they made Falcon white, right?

Changing age isn't a big deal, since most instance of FF take place during Johnny being an adult, meaning making the movie with a kid would have thrown off the general population who know adult Johnny from the cartoon and comics. Civil War changed in its entirety because Fox owned the mutants, who were a HUGE point of contention and practically the point of Civil War.

But do you have any instances of this double standard that aren't super easily debunked?

Spiderman wasn't 15 during civil war, planet hulk didn't feature Thor, captain America was supposed to die at the end of civil war ect but I'm sure you're going to twist yourselve in knots trying to justify why all of those changes are fine but making a minor characters like Ben Urich black is the end of the world. 

As I said perhaps you should go to those guys den and see their discussions... and also consider that probably the complains about gender and race are fished on the net and made heat to push an agenda.

DarthMetalliCube said:

And as said in the thread, that several of those forced diversity also make chars less depth because some flaws have to be removed to not be considered bigotry.

But I have to say I like wasting 90 min at my couch seeing Adam Sandler on netflix.

Azuren said:
DarthMetalliCube said:

You give them too much credit; Adam Sandler at least used to be hilarious (and Grown-Ups is actually a fun movie to watch, it just doesn't have a real climax).

When I don't have to pay extra, 90min of Adam Sandler can be entertaining.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DarthMetalliCube said:

I agree with this, though like I said, Sony specifically pushed the debate for marketing and so engaging in it at all is getting involved in thier manufactured outrage.

outlawauron said:
VGPolyglot said:

Is that and meaningful character development mutually exclusive?

They are mutually exclusive but in current gaming industry, they're pretty tied together. When the entire depth of a character is "they gay and stuff", then their effort to have a diverse character has now become the single defining trait of that character.

Smear-Gel said:

There is no provable metric that shows doing something for the sake of it worsen's the product, especially since you yourself also say its shallow and thus, doesnt really matter.

Of course there's not a provable metric, but ultimately we're talking about subjective taste in the quality of a game's story and/or cast. That said, there are numerous observable cases of developers being directed to have more diverse characters for the sake of it and thus said characters being entirely one-dimensional and poorly developed (if at all).

Hopefully we get to a point where developers are able to have diverse casts and stories that aren't done in response to media.

I see your point, I just think that a lot of the time in those cases, the characters would have sucked either way and the push to make them diverse wasnt really the reason for it.

Smear-Gel said:
DarthMetalliCube said:

I agree with this, though like I said, Sony specifically pushed the debate for marketing and so engaging in it at all is getting involved in thier manufactured outrage.

outlawauron said:

I see your point, I just think that a lot of the time in those cases, the characters would have sucked either way and the push to make them diverse wasnt really the reason for it.

Problem is diversity was used as means to forbidden disagreeing.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
Smear-Gel said:

That's true, but that was more a syptom of the manufactured outrage, most people just thought it looked shit, so they played up all the real sexist comments to make it look like that was the only critisism. I mean all the sexists didnt help, but basically all of it was just a massive marketing tool.

Smear-Gel said:
DonFerrari said:

That's true, but that was more a syptom of the manufactured outrage, most people just thought it looked shit, so they played up all the real sexist comments to make it look like that was the only critisism. I mean all the sexists didnt help, but basically all of it was just a massive marketing tool.

I can agree with that.

But that is one of the points of the OP. Make GB all women to use as marketing and them forget to make the movie good.