By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who is more dependant on E3 this year? Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo?

Who needs to have a good E3 showing?

Sony 6 4.65%

Nintendo 57 44.19%

Microsoft 66 51.16%

Total:129

Nintendo. Sony and Microsoft are starting to end their generations. Would a poor e3 presentation really impact them that much?

Around the Network

Both three companies need E3, for different reasons. Sony needs to get a precise release date and update trailers decent amount of their big projects, like Shenmue III and FF VIR. Nintendo needs to show great software for this year to continue the Switch's momentum, and Microsoft really needs to show enough exclusives to show their weight. So I'd say Microsoft needs it the most, but I don't know what's their plan lately, so I don't know.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Probably Microsoft. They needs a high-profile presentation to show and convince people that the xbox is still a viable platform. They need to make a splash with high-profile games, preferably exclusives.

Nintendo has lacked BIG games this year, but by no means a drought(at least in my opinion). But i don't think Nintendo is dependent on E3 to show their big games

As for Sony, if they didn't show up at E3 it wouldn't hurt them at all

Sony is pretty much set, in my opinion. They have WiLD, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us 2, Days Gone, and Death Stranding for 2019/2020. I think the Medievil remaster and Dreams will be pushed into 2019, as well. The PS4 will also have 3rd party games like Shenmue 3 and Final Fantasy VII Part 1 to help fill the gaps between Sony's 1st party releases.

Nintendo, show me that Smash and Pokemon.

After the disappointing reception of Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2, I would say Microsoft has the most pressure to deliver. This year is Forza Horizon year, so that definitely helps.

Bandorr said:
Microsoft.

Sony is just crazy dominating right now, and has spiderman coming.
Nintendo has a long list of IPs any of which can dominate a year. Don't need E3 to spread that message.

Microsoft has had two games come out this year, both sitting under 70. I don't expect Crackdown 3 to do much better, and it feels like Fortnite is stealing all of PUBGs thunder.

So they need E3 to show they can still compete. And now with more third party, and timed exlusives.

Yeah, they kinda bet on the wrong horse, didn't they? XD

To be fair, I doubt this will disuade them from eventually buying the franchise. Too much money, and if Minecraft is something to go by, they can push it to extreme limits and gain a fortune on mechandising.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

I'd say Nintendo, Sony don't really need it, and for Microsoft it's too little too late.

Bandorr said:
Microsoft.

Sony is just crazy dominating right now, and has spiderman coming.
Nintendo has a long list of IPs any of which can dominate a year. Don't need E3 to spread that message.

Microsoft has had two games come out this year, both sitting under 70. I don't expect Crackdown 3 to do much better, and it feels like Fortnite is stealing all of PUBGs thunder.

So they need E3 to show they can still compete. And now with more third party, and timed exlusives.

I mean, it's not like PUBG failed on Xbox or anything, they have already sold past five million copies. It was a good a good get for them. 

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

MasonADC said:
Sony and Microsoft are starting to end their generations.

Are they?

Microsoft needs to regain some degree of product confidence. E3 can still be meaningful for them if they hit a homerun. They need something to generate positive buzz.

Sony doesn't need E3 at this point. They could announce their games at other events instead and it would make little difference.

As for Nintendo, I think a lot of potential Switch customers wouldn't know E3 if it bit them. However, they might see coverage in the press, as E3 is the one time with video-game news is all over the internet. As they are still growing their install base, that kind of exposure can be valuable.

Microsoft needs a good E3 most to promise better 1st party output in the future. Whether or not that will happen remains to be seen.

Nintendo would benefit well from a good E3 and H2 to compensate for a lackluster H1. Probably will with some of their most anticipated games on the horizon.

Sony needs a great E3 least atm, though you don't want to get complacent. Should be solid with gameplay from lots of announced titles, though may be light on surprises.