By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Goldeneye 007 vs Perfect Dark (N64)

Which is better?

Goldeneye 007 27 51.92%

Perfect Dark 25 48.08%

Total:52
OdinHades said:
Fei-Hung said:
Golden eye. It's going to sound stupid, but the copy I owned stopped me from completing the game. I would get to the boss and the boss was invulnerable. I bought several magazines to see if I was doing something wrong, but for whatever reason, the copy I had didn't allow me to kill the boss.

Happened to me too, back then I figured I probably broke the game by using too many cheats or something. But whatever, I tried again and again and sometimes it worked.

It never worked for me so I never got to see the end of the game. I still can't figure out what caused the issue to make it work at times but not other times. How did they manage to ship some cartridges where it would and wouldn't work. Bizarre . 

Around the Network
Hiku said:

It's hard to give it to Goldeneye, because Perfect Dark just made a lot of things better. Goldeney has an advantage in being the first for some of these experiences, and so it's a more nostalgic game for me. And I did play Goldeneye more, and had more fun with Goldeneye because of that. But if the question is which of the two is the better game, it's Perfect Dark.

OdinHades said:

Happened to me too, back then I figured I probably broke the game by using too many cheats or something. But whatever, I tried again and again and sometimes it worked.

Which boss? The final boss at the Cradle stage?

kirby007 said:
Slappers only, bunker, cell

Bunker, Turbo Mode, The Man With The Golden Gun

The final boss in Perfect Dark. 

Pemalite said:

I couldn't care who owned the IP, just as long as it was being done justice.
But I would prefer it to be on powerful hardware as Perfect Dark was a hardware pusher on the N64 and the visuals showed, something Nintendo isn't renowned for anymore.

In-fact I would prefer it to have been Multiplat so it's exposed to more gamers, it's one of those titles you want everyone to be playing.

Perfect Dark Zero which I own on the 360 was actually not bad. Not amazing like the Nintendo 64 release and it had allot of issues, but overall it was solid, but the series just ended at that point when it could have been so much bigger and better.

Now the Remaster on 360 was pretty good and gave us online multiplayer, but even remastered you can see how limiting the visuals were.

I hope that there really is a new Perfect Dark in the works (I don't like the rumour about it being changed into a TPS though). Even if Rare isn't the studio it used to be a new Perfect Dark would still excite me quite a bit.

I'm currently playing through Perfect Dark Zero (as part of Rare Replay) and I haven't been super-impressed by it so far, sadly, but hopefully the game gets better. My Xbone being mean and not saving my game, forcing me to restart from the beginning added some annoyance, although to be fair I did enjoy it a bit more when I replayed the first 4-5 missions. I feel like there's too much trial and error when it comes to figuring out how to deal with the mission objectives, but when I think about it I'm pretty sure that was a thing in the first game as well. I've also gotten really used to the smoother aiming and extra precision offered by gyro-aiming, which makes games without that feature a bit less enjoyable for me.

I had completely forgot about the Perfect Dark remaster, and apparently that's the version included in Rare Replay so that'll be fun to play through (hopefully the nostalgia will overshadow my controller issues ).

Fei-Hung said:
OdinHades said:

It never worked for me so I never got to see the end of the game. I still can't figure out what caused the issue to make it work at times but not other times. How did they manage to ship some cartridges where it would and wouldn't work. Bizarre . 

LOL, that's just how the final boss works. You can't just shoot at him until he dies: you have to shoot the pillar to decapitate him. Joanna Dark even says so when you enter the boss room.

Goldeneye. Perfect Dark had more features and a bump in graphics, but level design was kind of boring in both single player and multiplayer - which is ironic because they spent more time on multiplayer in PD; maybe they thought a little bit too hard.

Either way, GE007 felt faster, more stylish, and more action-Spyish. Perfect Dark was getting into the more slow-paced nerd-shooter territory.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
forest-spirit said:

I hope that there really is a new Perfect Dark in the works (I don't like the rumour about it being changed into a TPS though). Even if Rare isn't the studio it used to be a new Perfect Dark would still excite me quite a bit.

I would just like to see another crack at the franchise, rather than have it squandered.

forest-spirit said:
I'm currently playing through Perfect Dark Zero (as part of Rare Replay) and I haven't been super-impressed by it so far, sadly, but hopefully the game gets better. My Xbone being mean and not saving my game, forcing me to restart from the beginning added some annoyance, although to be fair I did enjoy it a bit more when I replayed the first 4-5 missions. I feel like there's too much trial and error when it comes to figuring out how to deal with the mission objectives, but when I think about it I'm pretty sure that was a thing in the first game as well. I've also gotten really used to the smoother aiming and extra precision offered by gyro-aiming, which makes games without that feature a bit less enjoyable for me.

I have it on Rare Replay as well. But I also got it when it first came out on Xbox 360 and still have my physical copy, it hasn't aged as well as you would hope.... The bar has certainly been raised since then as far as game quality is concerned and older games like that tend to suffer as a result.

forest-spirit said:
I had completely forgot about the Perfect Dark remaster, and apparently that's the version included in Rare Replay so that'll be fun to play through (hopefully the nostalgia will overshadow my controller issues ).

It also had a fairly active online multiplayer component last time I gave it a whirl. :)

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Are these on virtual console now?

Everyone loves GoldenEye because it's James Bond and because at the time of its release there was nothing quite like it on consoles and the N64 was starved for games on top of that. PD is the better game in just about every way in terms of gameplay, weapon variety, graphics, multiplayer options, etc. PD still kinda holds up today especially if you play the remastered version on the 360 with its much smoother framerate. GE is tough to go back to.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Chrizum said:
Fei-Hung said:

LOL, that's just how the final boss works. You can't just shoot at him until he dies: you have to shoot the pillar to decapitate him. Joanna Dark even says so when you enter the boss room.

Yup I did that but the pillar wouldn't collapse. 

Close poll!

To touch on the future of both series, I personally didn't like Perfect Dark Zero at all, even back in the day it felt really clunky, though I did really enjoy the Goldeneye remake on Wii/PS3/360,