By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Goldeneye 007 vs Perfect Dark (N64)

Which is better?

Goldeneye 007 27 51.92%

Perfect Dark 25 48.08%

Total:52
Pemalite said: 

I do think Perfect Dark was a missed opportunity in my opinion, it had all the components to be extremely successful... But it seems like Microsoft/Rare squandered the IP.

This is the reason I am so pissed of Nintendo just gave it up because Microsoft killed it.

Perfect Dark should have been the flagship FPS for each generation of a new Nintendo System. 

Around the Network

GoldenEye was a huge achievement and I love it but Perfect Dark is Perfect Dark. The single-player was a blast with fun levels, great music and super-silly characters. I really liked how you could exit the main menu and walk around in the HQ to access different parts of the game. Sure, it was less efficient but a nice detail nonetheless.

Multiplayer was incredible. It took the already fantastic multiplayer from GoldenEye and somehow made it even better. A real work of art.

Damn. Hard question, but overall I pick Perfect Dark. The world and multiplayer was better.

Extremely hard question that, erm im going to give the nod to Perfect Dark just because Bots and customization.

Played both, love both. Perfect Dark will take the cake. It was up there as one of the games of all time not just game of a generation.

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:

This is the reason I am so pissed of Nintendo just gave it up because Microsoft killed it.

Perfect Dark should have been the flagship FPS for each generation of a new Nintendo System. 

I couldn't care who owned the IP, just as long as it was being done justice.
But I would prefer it to be on powerful hardware as Perfect Dark was a hardware pusher on the N64 and the visuals showed, something Nintendo isn't renowned for anymore.

In-fact I would prefer it to have been Multiplat so it's exposed to more gamers, it's one of those titles you want everyone to be playing.

Perfect Dark Zero which I own on the 360 was actually not bad. Not amazing like the Nintendo 64 release and it had allot of issues, but overall it was solid, but the series just ended at that point when it could have been so much bigger and better.

Now the Remaster on 360 was pretty good and gave us online multiplayer, but even remastered you can see how limiting the visuals were.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Cobretti2 said:

But I would prefer it to be on powerful hardware as Perfect Dark was a hardware pusher on the N64 and the visuals showed, something Nintendo isn't renowned for anymore.

In-fact I would prefer it to have been Multiplat so it's exposed to more gamers, it's one of those titles you want everyone to be playing.

Perfect Dark Zero which I own on the 360 was actually not bad. Not amazing like the Nintendo 64 release and it had allot of issues, but overall it was solid, but the series just ended at that point when it could have been so much bigger and better.

Now the Remaster on 360 was pretty good and gave us online multiplayer, but even remastered you can see how limiting the visuals were.

I disagree on PDZ being solid as even compared to FPS out at the time it felt sub par and at best average that's why the series came to a halt it was the beginning of the realisation that Rare were past it and couldn't function with out Nintendo holding their hand.

Pemalite said:
Cobretti2 said:

Yer but look at it this way. Microsoft was never going to do much with them and Nintendo gave up great IPs.

If they had those IPs on Gamecube it would have sold better and dare I said the Wii would have been more powerful than it was. 

Them selling changed the course they could take as people who loved those games moved onto Microsoft at the time (myself included).  Then COD exploded and the rest is history lol.

It will be interesting what their next console will be since Iwata would have been a huge influence on the Switch's development. 

I love both, but ultimately I have to pick Goldeneye simply because it ran better; Perfect Dark was a lot like Banjo Tooie and Conker in that while the core game was magnificent, the poor framerate was a bit of a hassle.

Wyrdness said:

I disagree on PDZ being solid as even compared to FPS out at the time it felt sub par and at best average that's why the series came to a halt it was the beginning of the realisation that Rare were past it and couldn't function with out Nintendo holding their hand.

When I mean by solid, I mean it is average but still extremely playable.
Some people couldn't get past the accents and such, where-as that didn't actually bother me.

As for RARE specifically... I have enjoyed pretty much every single game release with the exception of the Kinect rubbish, however... It was clear even before the Microsoft purchase that things were changing at the company, regardless of what Nintendo or Microsoft were going/not going to do.

Cobretti2 said:

Yer but look at it this way. Microsoft was never going to do much with them and Nintendo gave up great IPs.

Well. We don't know if Nintendo was going to do much with them either. So we cannot assert otherwise.

Cobretti2 said:

If they had those IPs on Gamecube it would have sold better and dare I said the Wii would have been more powerful than it was.

Yeah, nah. Speaking in hypotheticals is great and all... But your assertion carry's zero weight.

Cobretti2 said:

Them selling changed the course they could take as people who loved those games moved onto Microsoft at the time (myself included).  Then COD exploded and the rest is history lol.

Disagree. It was Halo and Fable that put the Xbox on the map. Later Gears of War and Call of Duty carried the torch, Rare wasn't really a big driver on that front.

Cobretti2 said:

It will be interesting what their next console will be since Iwata would have been a huge influence on the Switch's development.

As long as it doesn't have a shit 720P-display/output I'll be happy.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--