By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Physical game cards for psvita will end by march 2019

Shame, but not unexpected. Now the only thing we have left to know is the discontinuation of the actual hardware.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

I bought fully digital on PSP (aside from a couple games that never got a digital release) but, with the Vita, I had no choice but to go physical. Memory cards cost too much. After my care filled up (mostly PSP and indie games) I quit buying anything for it.

The point of my rant: Lower the cost of the memory cards and maybe I'll buy some games. It was and still is an awesome portable device. More of a complete package than the Switch in a lot of ways.

It was really well designed hardware-wise.

Good specs, good cooling, cartridges, nice screen, okay battery life.

What killed it was Sony's moneygrab with the memory cards that got people angry. Before everyone got angry at the Xbone fiasco and forgot the Vita. And also Sony's complete disinterest in supporting it.

It could have been a scary threat to the 3DS, but, alas.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Great little device and had a good run with a pretty decent library, but I think we all knew this was inevitable. Maybe stores stop carrying anything Vita related.

Just glad that Sony announced it ahead of time so if anybody is looking to pick up some last minute physical games for Vita they should do it soon.

Well, something to amend is that Sony is only doing so for the Western markets. So, Japan will likely have easier access to support. I am curious to see what this does to LRG, but I imagine if they really wanted the carts, they could just buy them from SCEJ.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
KungKras said:

It was really well designed hardware-wise.

Good specs, good cooling, cartridges, nice screen, okay battery life.

What killed it was Sony's moneygrab with the memory cards that got people angry. Before everyone got angry at the Xbone fiasco and forgot the Vita. And also Sony's complete disinterest in supporting it.

It could have been a scary threat to the 3DS, but, alas.

from the design it was really great, really sad that it didn't get the support...played some great games on this system

xl-klaudkil said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Having seen a few of your videos and read some of your thoughts and opinions on gaming industry and the direction it is going, I can safely say that I have zero trust in how long you think something will be going up or down.

I mean that with the utmost of respect but I truly do not agree with the way you perceive gaming going and the lack of understand the tiny costs involved in maintaining an online store for a system which has 16million users and 5k new systems per week, you're basically talking about a VM on a server somewhere at Sony to maintain these files for 16m potential buyers.

Ow? Now iam curious in what points do you think iam wrong?

Everything i talked about and predicted years ago where true and happened.

Ofcourse iam not always right,but the psn store on ps3 and psvita will be down,if its in 1 year or 5,you will lose all your digital games.

Or do you think sony will keep these servers up forever?

even this right here.... do you not know what CMA is and how you can keep your digital games from the Vita backed up on a PC? You talk in extreme negatives about certain aspects of gaming because you enjoy others such as digital vs physical your information on them holds a very heavy bias against one because you love the other.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

xl-klaudkil said:

Ofcourse iam not always right,but the psn store on ps3 and psvita will be down,if its in 1 year or 5,you will lose all your digital games.

Why would we lose all digital games after an (unlikely) shutdown? You can restore your backups of Vita games any time with the Content Manager, which doesn't need any online connection for the data transfers.

xl-klaudkil said:

This is completely nonsensical. Over time these servers will become cheaper to run, especially if they just VM them on new technology. It costs Sony peanuts to keep the store front running. But even if it did eventually shutter, there's no reason why they can't continue offer you a means of downloading any previous purchases to your Vita. And, even if they want to shut down online services, the store front, and the ability to download games directly to the Vita itself, you'd still have the ability to download Vita games to your PC and transfer them that way.

I mean it's more likely you'll have more issues connecting your Vita to your Wifi in 10 years than Sony shuttering all online services for it.

This is a complete non-issue.

This is apparently only the case for the west, Physical games will continue to produced in Japan after this date.