By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ariana Grande performing on The Tonight Show with Nintendo Labo

Who promotes labo best, Ariana Grande or Bill Nye?

Ariana Grande 12 41.38%

Bill Nye 5 17.24%

Celebrities really can sell anything huh? 12 41.38%

Total:29
Barkley said:
Dear Nintendo,

Stop throwing money at this crap.

Yours sincerely,

me.

Everyone would love to cash out of 70-dollar cardboard. Gotta try seriously hard until it's effectively dead. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Megiddo said:

Do toys people buy for the holidays typically require another $300 purchase to actually use the toy? Seems more like a video game to me.

Guitar Hero might be the closest "toy" to compare it to, it was a $70 toy guitar that required a console to play and had slow initial sales but strong word of mouth caused it to have great legs and become a huge hit.

Guitar Hero launched in Nov of 2005, when the PS2 was $149.  That's $220 for the whole package.  Unless, of course, you already had the popular PS2 (it had shipped 100M+ by the end of Nov 2005.)  And no, it didn't take long for Guitar Hero become a hit, as it was the surprise hit of that holiday season. So MAX, a few weeks.

What you're talking about for Labo is a product that you need to pay $370 for the whole thing.  Maybe you'll be able to get it for $320-$350 this Black Friday.  We're also talking about the product going 8 months with poor to middling sales, then all of a sudden blowing up.  Again, products don't usually work that way.  Not saying its impossible, just not very likely.

thismeintiel said:
Faelco said:

And yet people believe that Labo's sales are already more than enough, and that Nintendo is already very happy because it cost nothing to them so they already made a lot of money. Right.

It will be interesting to see how it fared in the US. It would show if this is just continued advertisement, or a desperate act to move product that isn't exactly selling. We know it's opening sales and legs haven't been great really anywhere that we get numbers and charts from. So, we'll have to see what it did stateside. 

Just have a look at Amazon chart:

nero said: 

Nintendo Labo - Variety Kit

CA: 25
FR: 5
DE: 31
IT: 19
JP: 7
MX:  
ES: 9
UK: 37
US: 30

It's in the top 40 everywhere on Amazon 3-4 weeks after release, while being in the top 10 in France, Spain and Japan. But apparently no legs...

Aeolus451 said:
Jranation said:

Who would you have chosen?

A famous kid singer or actor if ya had to do this marketing stunt. I'm against this in general. I think they would be better off focusing on the actual game and showing the cardboard stuff as an extra feature to compliment the game in their marketing. 

Well they are showing the musical section of Labo here. Where the "actual game" is creating music through Labo. No fishing! No racing! No robots! Just music. 

They can do those other sections on other shows with guests that is familiar in those sections. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Bofferbrauer2 said:

It's in the top 40 everywhere on Amazon 3-4 weeks after release, while being in the top 10 in France, Spain and Japan. But apparently no legs...

And when you don't look on at one retailer...

Labo Variety was 27th in its 3rd week on the UK charts (it was #3 in its 1st week, that's a colossal drop)
Labo Variety was 3rd in its 2nd week on the France charts (by far Nintendo's best country in EU)
Labo Variety was 12th in the month of April in Germany

We'll need to see what it does after Golden Week in Japan. We'll see how it does in the US on the NPD report which I think releases tomorrow? Surprised there actually haven't been any leaks like usual.

Around the Network
Megiddo said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Labo Variety was 27th in its 3rd week on the UK charts (it was #3 in its 1st week, that's a colossal drop)
Labo Variety was 3rd in its 2nd week on the France charts (by far Nintendo's best country in EU)

We'll need to see what it does after Golden Week in Japan. We'll see how it does in the US on the NPD report which I think releases tomorrow? Surprised there actually haven't been any leaks like usual.

Exactly. And like the previous NPDs have showed us, Amazon is skewed towards Nintendo. It's why it can have 2 SKUs ahead of the first PS4 SKU, yet PS4 easily takes the month. 

Megiddo said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

UK is by far the worst country for Nintendo. Even if all the world would hail something from them, there it would be a second rate product.

Don't forget Labo came out at the very end of the month, 12th in germany actually isn't bad at all for a product like Labo.

Not sure it's only France anymore, Italy and especially Spain seem to have embraced the Switch extremely well. Their markets are smaller than the french one, but not by that much.

thismeintiel said:
Megiddo said:

Exactly. And like the previous NPDs have showed us, Amazon is skewed towards Nintendo. It's why it can have 2 SKUs ahead of the first PS4 SKU, yet PS4 easily takes the month. 

Yes, but you were arguing Labo didn't have legs anywhere. Even if Amazon is skewed for the US and Japan hard to gauge due to Goldenweek, how about France and Spain, where Labo Variete Kit is still in the Top 10

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Not sure it's only France anymore, Italy and especially Spain seem to have embraced the Switch extremely well. Their markets are smaller than the french one, but not by that much.

Okay then.

Labo Variety is 6th in its 2nd week in Italy: http://www.aesvi.it/cms/charts.php?dir_pk=206

Labo Variety was the 5th best selling Switch game in April (it didn't make top 10 all-platform) in Spain: http://www.aevi.org.es/la-industria-del-videojuego/los-videojuegos-mas-vendidos/2018/4/switch/

Should of course be mentioned that Variety is the only Labo SKU charting anywhere. The robot SKU is nowhere to be found. Don't think it can be argued that the Labo Robot Kit is bombing hard everywhere.

Here's the music video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6lY1GXTu5M

Meh!! This bad product is unsalvageable!!