Forums - Sales Discussion - Persona 5: The JRPG-Masterpiece has sold more than 2.2 million units worldwide

Couldn't get into the game, but glad it did well.



Around the Network

Nice ! Now we just need SMT V to surpass the million mark and the balance will be restored at Atlus



Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

JRPGfan said:
It sucks that such a great game doesnt set the world on fire, sales wise.
It should be much higher.

I completely agree. I lovw this series and am a bit disappointed that its sales haven't been better. 



I just wonder, considering todays costs of production, if 2.2 million is enough to cover everything and bring a good profit for the project.
Anyway I think those numbers can easily reach 4 million once a switch version is released.



EnricoPallazzo said:
I just wonder, considering todays costs of production, if 2.2 million is enough to cover everything and bring a good profit for the project.

Easily, Persona isn't a high budget game. BOTW only needed around 2m sales to break even according to Miyamoto.

Persona 5 had initially 40 people, and at full production 70 people working on it. BOTW had over 100 people working on it.



LTD: PS4 - 125m, Switch - 110m, XBO - 51m

2020: PS4 - 9m, Switch - 22.5m, XBO - 2.5m, PS5 - 4.5m, XBX - 2.8m

Around the Network

I will get around to playing this eventually, I hope it is as good as everyone says it is.



Ouch - kinda low in sales considering the amount of press this game receives. Mind you, this is a niche title so it’s understandable.

By comparison, PUBG on one platform (PC) has sold over 30 million units and on Xbox One it’s at over 5 million copies (as of March).

But it’s good to see that console gaming is healthy - even in the more niche segments.

 

PM sent ~ CGI

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 15 May 2018

Seventizz said:
Ouch - kinda low in sales considering the amount of press this game receives. Mind you, this is a niche title so it’s understandable.

By comparison, PUBG on one platform (PC) has sold over 30 million units and on Xbox One it’s at over 5 million copies (as of March).

But it’s good to see that console gaming is healthy - even in the more niche segments.

The sales really aren't low at all for what it is, in fact it's the best selling Persona game by far and no doubt Sega/Atlus is very pleased with it's sales.

It's doing a lot better than many games that wouldn't be considered Niche. Ryse, Quantum break or Sunset Overdrive for instance. Even Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox One sold less.

Comparing it to PUBG is a very very strange and specific choice.



LTD: PS4 - 125m, Switch - 110m, XBO - 51m

2020: PS4 - 9m, Switch - 22.5m, XBO - 2.5m, PS5 - 4.5m, XBX - 2.8m

great to hear, so hope that atlus let us not wait long for the next part



ZODIARKrebirth said:
great to hear, so hope that atlus let us not wait long for the next part

It'll probably be quite a while, I wouldn't expect Persona 6 till 2022 or later. xD

In the meantime I'd like an updated version of Persona 3, I've never played that one.



LTD: PS4 - 125m, Switch - 110m, XBO - 51m

2020: PS4 - 9m, Switch - 22.5m, XBO - 2.5m, PS5 - 4.5m, XBX - 2.8m