By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Outdated technical marvels

Asterix & Obelix XXL on the Gameboy Advance is witchcraft, looks like a damn PS1/Saturn game

Iridion 3D, a GBA launch title, was also a stunner

Around the Network

Oh, and Conker's Bad Fur Day on the N64.

Multiple light sources casting dynamic shadows, textures and polygon counts well above the system's standard, realtime reflections, full voice acting, and Dolby Surround Sound. One of only a few N64 games to require a 64MB cartridge.

Bump the res and framerate and it could almost pass for a low end PS2 game.

.kkrieger, an ego-shooter made in 2004 by the demo scene. while it doesn't look impressive at first glance, the whole game is just 96 kbyte, meaning it is smaller than some NES games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NBG-sKFaB0

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 17 May 2018

I think both The last of us and God of War 3 on PS3 hold up relatively well today. So I would nominate those.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

I remember being in awe of the Resident evil remake on Gamecube, especially comparing it to the original which was only a gen behind. Such a leap in graphics. Then along came Resident evil 4 and blew me away again. Metroid Prime, Mario Sunshine and Wind Waker also were top notch. What a great console the Gamecube was.

Around the Network

Dick Tracy (1990).

It fed my imagination that it was possible to destroy windows, lamps, cars etc.

I was hoping for a future where all environment was destructable.

Well, that idea seems further away today than 28 years ago (Yes, I am aware of Red Faction and Crackdown 3).

Far Cry 2 (PS3 version). I remember when I played this on my brand new 1080p LED TV. I was blown away. I played it last year and it looks butt ugly.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

.kkrieger, an ego-shooter made in 2004 by the demo scene. while it doesn't look impressive at first glance, the whole game is just 96 kbyte, meaning it is smaller than some NES games

All assets in kkrieger are procedually generated which means it’s basically a 96 k textfile. If I remember correctly the game used 200-300 MB of RAM when all assets had been loaded/generated.

OT: It also irks me when people talk about procedual generation as some form of randomly generated content only method, which it’s not. Kkrieger is an example of a static environment (as in it’s always the same) that is procedually generated. But procedual generation is good to use for randomly generated content because of the low storage space required.

Spindel said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

All assets in kkrieger are procedually generated which means it’s basically a 96 k textfile. If I remember correctly the game used 200-300 MB of RAM when all assets had been loaded/generated.

OT: It also irks me when people talk about procedual generation as some form of randomly generated content only method, which it’s not. Kkrieger is an example of a static environment (as in it’s always the same) that is procedually generated. But procedual generation is good to use for randomly generated content because of the low storage space required.

More or less, all textures and models are calculated instead of painted/pasted upon the environment.

The Demo scene in general is able to do marvels out of hardware you never even thought they could do something even close to that

There were quite a few NES games that really squeezed the hardware's balls til they were blue, to the point where they almost looked like bad Turbografx-16/Megadrive games.

For example:

Battletoads

Kirby's Adventure

Batman Return of the Joker