By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Outdated technical marvels

curl-6 said:

Some of the few SNES games that used the FX-2 chip impressed me back in the day, like Dirt Racer and Winter Gold.

Then there's Cop: The Recruit, which got a GTA-esque open world running... on the DS

Wow.  That snow sports game looks amazing.  Framerate looks slid for a 3d SNES game and there doesn't seem to be any problem with the draw distance.  I seriously had no idea a game on that level was possible on the SNES even with the Super FX 2 before.

Around the Network

Asterix & Obelix XXL on the Gameboy Advance is witchcraft, looks like a damn PS1/Saturn game

Iridion 3D, a GBA launch title, was also a stunner

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Oh, and Conker's Bad Fur Day on the N64.

Multiple light sources casting dynamic shadows, textures and polygon counts well above the system's standard, realtime reflections, full voice acting, and Dolby Surround Sound. One of only a few N64 games to require a 64MB cartridge.

Bump the res and framerate and it could almost pass for a low end PS2 game.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

.kkrieger, an ego-shooter made in 2004 by the demo scene. while it doesn't look impressive at first glance, the whole game is just 96 kbyte, meaning it is smaller than some NES games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NBG-sKFaB0

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 17 May 2018

I think both The last of us and God of War 3 on PS3 hold up relatively well today. So I would nominate those.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network

I remember being in awe of the Resident evil remake on Gamecube, especially comparing it to the original which was only a gen behind. Such a leap in graphics. Then along came Resident evil 4 and blew me away again. Metroid Prime, Mario Sunshine and Wind Waker also were top notch. What a great console the Gamecube was.

Dick Tracy (1990).

It fed my imagination that it was possible to destroy windows, lamps, cars etc.

I was hoping for a future where all environment was destructable.

Well, that idea seems further away today than 28 years ago (Yes, I am aware of Red Faction and Crackdown 3).

Far Cry 2 (PS3 version). I remember when I played this on my brand new 1080p LED TV. I was blown away. I played it last year and it looks butt ugly.

I'm old enough to remember Super Mario Bros. when it was a new game. I remember seeing it for the first time back in like '87 or early '88 when the NES really started to get popular, and I thought it was the coolest thing I had ever seen at the time.

Every other console game from prior generations were not only more primitive technically, but also in terms of gameplay. Not only did Mario look more like an actual human being instead of a nondescript assembly of rectangles approximating a humanoid shape, but the scrolling screen was something new to me, and the whole gameplay experience was more dynamic and involved than the simplistic arcade action of the Intellivision games I played beforehand, where there was no real ending and the only goal was to rack up as high of a score as possible. But Super Mario Bros. felt like a real adventure. It had all these unique, discrete levels, and an actual ending.

Super Mario Bros., and the NES's library in general, was such a massive evolution from the gaming experiences of the early 80s, leaving behind many of the limited design sensibilities of the Golden Age of Arcade Games that informed console game design in the pre-Crash of '83 era.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

.kkrieger, an ego-shooter made in 2004 by the demo scene. while it doesn't look impressive at first glance, the whole game is just 96 kbyte, meaning it is smaller than some NES games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NBG-sKFaB0

All assets in kkrieger are procedually generated which means it’s basically a 96 k textfile. If I remember correctly the game used 200-300 MB of RAM when all assets had been loaded/generated.

OT: It also irks me when people talk about procedual generation as some form of randomly generated content only method, which it’s not. Kkrieger is an example of a static environment (as in it’s always the same) that is procedually generated. But procedual generation is good to use for randomly generated content because of the low storage space required.