By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Are you receiving NSFW private messages?

mZuzek said:
CGI-Quality said:
You guys, a simple thank you can go a long way.

Yes. Thank you, guys.

I haven't been getting spam messages but if I did I'd try to handle it on my own terms. I know the mods and admins care about the site and do what they can in their free time to help make it better. VGC has loads of problems and things that could be improved, but it's no use complaining about it to people who are already doing the best they can.

I actually don't mind complaints - I hear them (I'm always on the look out for them) and, if they're something I can address quickly, I have absolutely NO PROBLEM jumping on them right away (I actually started looking into this PM issue, based on conversations we were having on Discord, no more than an hour or two ago)...   ...what I do mind, is being talked down to in a condescending manner. I don't respond very well to it and frankly, it tends to put me off to the point where I have no interest in even helping - which is exactly why I've already closed the code on this, and won't waste my time with it. Maybe Trucks will look into it at some point, but it won't be me.

If there's a problem and you come to these forums (or PM me or write on my wall) to let me know what's going on, there is a 99.9% chance I will try to address it immediately.

If there's a problem and you decide to take the attitude of "I can't believe you dummies haven't fixed this issue for me", then I have no use for you and I can guarantee you somebody else will need to look at it because it won't be me...

Around the Network
Super_Boom said:
pokoko said:

Unless it has "blonde" or "furry", I won't know it's you  =(

Well I guess I'll have to change my...

WAIT...FURRY?

Bandorr said:

I'm a user that was forced to set off my private messages after months of constant harassment that easily could have been shut down in a day. So apparently I do need to tell you.

Consider that from the websites point of view, and you will realize how very much in the wrong you are. Users, and possibly supporters are being constantly harassed and your attitude is "but what about my time" as opposed to "what what about the users experience".

This should be obvious...but just to clear things up...this is a volunteer role for all of us, this isn't something we get paid to do. Any time we put improving this community and website is something we do on top of existing obligations, be it work, school, family, etc. 

I understand no one likes issues like this, and I can't speak for how long it would honestly take to sort out...but now that the community is finally seeing improvements, comments like this are really more hurtful than helpful. Please be mindful that resources are limited when you make comments like this. You'd be surprised at how much a simple 'thank you' can mean from time to time.

And I'm not saying this should have been done last year. All I said was "I'm shocked" such a basic feature wasn't rushed into production as soon as this became a problem.  I've probably been getting these for at least 4 to 6 months. So this being the first time I said anything close to this should show how patient I've been.

I didn't make a thread bitching about prediction thread spam. I turned those off in notifications quickly. So it never affected me.  These affected me, and have for a long time. So thus my reason I suggest I'm shocked.

If it makes things better I'll go and edit it.

• Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)
TalonMan said:

If there's a problem and you come to these forums (or PM me or write on my wall) to let me know what's going on, there is a 99.9% chance I will try to address it immediately.

Eh, probably won't do much. Usually when I stumble upon some issue in VGC I just take it for granted and carry on.

One issue that has become obnoxious enough though, is the forum search feature. It was never any good to begin with (can't look for posts older than 90 days lol), but right now it's proper broken. I hit search and nothing happens. If I wanted to see any particular thing given focus to be worked on next, it's this.

Always, but they are solicited and appreciated (joking of course).

No, I haven't gotten one.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

mZuzek said:
TalonMan said:

Eh, probably won't do much. Usually when I stumble upon some issue in VGC I just take it for granted and carry on.

One issue that has become obnoxious enough though, is the forum search feature. It was never any good to begin with (can't look for posts older than 90 days lol), but right now it's proper broken. I hit search and nothing happens. If I wanted to see any particular thing given focus to be worked on next, it's this.

I have noticed that issue (with the search) and I don't know why that is, or what happened (just getting a blank page). It's definitely on my "hit list"...   ...as for the older posts, I'm sure much of that is performance related - somebody just needs to sit down, really work on building up proper search queries, and clean-up the indexing on the tables so they work faster. This is likely a bigger project, though. 

Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:
Ganoncrotch said:
None of them want what my profile name or pic is offering....

... If I were to ask, could you supply?

For a friend, of course... 

I'm so close to reaching 10k posts with no moderation.... and you tempt me like this? You are a cruel man.... and cruel men should be punished accordingly....

for their friends, of course....

Fancy hearing me on an amateur podcast with friends gushing over one of my favourite games? https://youtu.be/1I7JfMMxhf8

Bandorr said:

And I'm not saying this should have been done last year. All I said was "I'm shocked" such a basic feature wasn't rushed into production as soon as this became a problem.  I've probably been getting these for at least 4 to 6 months. So this being the first time I said anything close to this should show how patient I've been.

I didn't make a thread bitching about prediction thread spam. I turned those off in notifications quickly. So it never affected me.  These affected me, and have for a long time. So thus my reason I suggest I'm shocked.

If it makes things better I'll go and edit it.

By the way - just so you know, it wasn't until just a few hours ago that I even became AWARE of there being a problem again. I spent weeks on this crap by revamping the user registration system (updating CAPTCHA, setting up an email verification API, fixing the "click me" verification email so that it actually works, etc.) and so far as I knew, this was done and over with as it absolutely stopped for awhile. I had dealt with this PROPERLY at the registration level - not by simply leaving the door open and pretending to address the problem by masking it with filters. The goal was to get the bots OFF the website, altogether. You wouldn't know this because you just jumped into this thread with your smug comments and assumptions, without ever asking whether anything had been done.

As is always the case with this crap - the faster you lock this garbage down, the faster these determined assholes will write scripts to get around it. It's a never-ending cycle.

So - the fastest and most effective way to deal with it? Set your PMs to "friends only" and be done with it...

No

Isn't my avy sexy enough for you folk?

Ka-pi96 said:
No

Isn't my avy sexy enough for you folk?

It looks like a freaky sex toy, I wouldn't want to lift the tail up.

No I haven’t, I guess someone must just really like you.