By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Are you receiving NSFW private messages?

Bristow9091 said:
poroporo said:

And did you report the user back then or PM a moderator to get them banned? That's the only way we can get them all, it's also why I made this thread, to make it easier, people can just post the bots' profiles here and we'll deal with them.

I'll do so in the future. Good to see that someone's actually taking care of this site.

Around the Network
TalonMan said:
Bandorr said:

As someone that does a ton of programming - it would literally take around 5 minutes.  You start with a universal list.

Any messages that have "penis, vagina, cum" in their subject don't get get received. Hell you don't even have to make it dynamic or keep it in a database list. You can just hardcode it in as an array.

It would at least cause the person spamming everyone to use different words, or type those words in different ways.

Or you can work in other features like a delay on sending messages. You must be a member for X time (an hour, a day, a week, a month) before you are allowed to send messages. Or you can limit it by amount of messages.

These are basic features that greatly enrich the forums and protects their members from pervs.

It has been how long since people (myself included) have been getting deluged with a constant supply of dirty messages and no mention of any fixes.  Barely even any acknowledgement of the issue.

If you think I need you to tell me how to code, I assure you I couldn't possibly laugh any louder at you...

...you obviously have no clue how much time I invested in revamping the user registration system, in order to address this - then again, based on your attitude and comments so far, you also don't have a clue how to talk to people respectfully and you somehow have it in your mind that I'm here to serve you. Trust me - I'm not. 

I'm a user that was forced to set off my private messages after months of constant harassment that easily could have been shut down in a day. So apparently I do need to tell you.

Consider that from the websites point of view, and you will realize how very much in the wrong you are. Users, and possibly supporters are being constantly harassed and your attitude is "but what about my time" as opposed to "what what about the users experience".

• Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)

You guys, a simple thank you can go a long way. Really. People put a lot of time and effort into making this place sound, and despite that there is still work to do, what has been done should be accompanied by grateful users. Otherwise, we can continue to have issues like these.

Don't use this topic as an opportunity to take shots at anything. Just help steer everyone in the right direction that can be of assistance.

Bandorr said:
TalonMan said:

If you think I need you to tell me how to code, I assure you I couldn't possibly laugh any louder at you...

...you obviously have no clue how much time I invested in revamping the user registration system, in order to address this - then again, based on your attitude and comments so far, you also don't have a clue how to talk to people respectfully and you somehow have it in your mind that I'm here to serve you. Trust me - I'm not. 

I'm a user that was forced to set off my private messages after months of constant harassment that easily could have been shut down in a day. So apparently I do need to tell you.

Consider that from the websites point of view, and you will realize how very much in the wrong you are. Users, and possibly supporters are being constantly harassed and your attitude is "but what about my time" as opposed to "what what about the users experience".

If I owned the website and your opinion mattered to me, you would probably have a point.

I don't own the website - so yeah, my time is definitely more valuable than your "experience". And it will be a cold day in hell before I ever consider working on this - I'm just not at all interested...

Bandorr said:

Just curious but when was this, and did you ever bring it up with the mod team at the time? 

Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:
Bandorr said:

Just curious but when was this, and did you ever bring it up with the mod team at the time? 

I consider getting 5,6,10 messages with various words not safe for work to be considered harassment. Sorry if that isn't clear. Also annoying because it A) made me think I had actual messages and B) took 'effort' to press delete messages that many times. Having to press delete message and then confirm the pop up for each individual message was too much for me.

Just easier to change my settings that constantly linking the persons name in the moderator thread. Infact I'm not sure I ever got two e-mails from the same person. So I'm not sure it even mattered that they were getting blocked.

• Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)
Bandorr said:
Bristow9091 said:

I consider getting 5,6,10 messages with various words not safe for work to be considered harassment. Sorry if that isn't clear. Also annoying because it A) made me think I had actual messages and B) took 'effort' to press delete messages that many times. Having to press delete message and then confirm the pop up for each individual message was too much for me.

Just easier to change my settings that constantly linking the persons name in the moderator thread. Infact I'm not sure I ever got two e-mails from the same person. So I'm not sure it even mattered that they were getting blocked.

... But that doesn't answer either of my questions o.O 

Bristow9091 said:
Bandorr said:

... But that doesn't answer either of my questions o.O 

Fair enough with that clarified.

Probably been a month since I turned my settings off. I've been getting them ever since I changed my avatar to this character. Which looking at my wall I got a complement on it in November 2017. So I'm guessing since at least this year.

I think I mentioned the messages. Plus I linked a couple in the moderator thread. They got handled very quickly. Great response from the mods there. The issue is that by the time they get banned, they just have a new comment and new messages.  So banning them felt pointless.

Oh I found it looking through the moderator thread.  I took @Ryuu96 suggestion of changing my settings to friends only. In a post that was April 24th.

edit: No never told the moderators. I mentioned the e-mails, listed the user a couple times. Then I just took the suggestion. Didn't see any reason to tell anyone I was changing my settings.

Last edited by Bandorr - on 12 May 2018

CGI-Quality said:
You guys, a simple thank you can go a long way.

Yes. Thank you, guys.

I haven't been getting spam messages but if I did I'd try to handle it on my own terms. I know the mods and admins care about the site and do what they can in their free time to help make it better. VGC has loads of problems and things that could be improved, but it's no use complaining about it to people who are already doing the best they can.

pokoko said:

Unless it has "blonde" or "furry", I won't know it's you  =(

Well I guess I'll have to change my...

WAIT...FURRY?

Bandorr said:

This should be obvious...but just to clear things up...this is a volunteer role for all of us, this isn't something we get paid to do. Any time we put improving this community and website is something we do on top of existing obligations, be it work, school, family, etc. 

I understand no one likes issues like this, and I can't speak for how long it would honestly take to sort out...but now that the community is finally seeing improvements, comments like this are really more hurtful than helpful. Please be mindful that resources are limited when you make comments like this. You'd be surprised at how much a simple 'thank you' can mean from time to time.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334