By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Best Nintendo Sequel?

Super Mario Bros. 3 is the best sequel made to any game. However Zelda: Breath of the Wild makes a pretty good case for itself too.

Around the Network
Hiku said:

I guess the safest answer here is Majora's Mask, since there's no question that it is a sequel to a previous game, and it is my favorite Zelda game.
I really liked the system of having NPC quests in real time, which made the world feel more alive with people actually moving around in the world and carrying on with their lives.

AlfredoTurkey said:

That it did. The soundtrack was just... there has never been a more emotive and memorable collection of music than there was in OOT. The melodies and themes... the atmospheric music and the way it can shift from the jubilant music in town to the horrific music later on, when the world is on the brink... it's all just so fucking amazing. 

This was BOTW biggest sin imo. The music was pretty much garbage compared to the standards of past games.

Do you mean in Zelda/Nintendo games? Or just in general? Because that's a pretty tall order if so.
Personally I recently played a game that I now may hold as the most well implemented soundtrack in videogaming. Yes, even above games like Chrono Trigger, which have topped my list for decades. It even had multiple variations of every single score, some times up to 8 different variants, that adjusted for the situation you were in.
And it also did something interesting with music at one point in the game that I dare say no game has ever done before. I'm talking about Nier: Automata btw.

But for Zelda games, it's between OOT and Majora's Mask for me. While I think OOT has more memorable tunes, a select few in Majora's Mask really did wonders for the atmosphere at a level that few games have accomplished.

Well, it's subjective. For ME, it is tops, followed closely by FF X. 

Pikmin 2 improved so much over the prequel... It was absolutely amazing.

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Not only the best Nintendo sequel, but THE best sequel in existence in the history of video games.
And I don’t see any game having a remote shot until Breath of the Wild gets a sequel, assuming it does.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

CaptainExplosion said:
Jumpin said:

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Not only the best Nintendo sequel, but THE best sequel in existence in the history of video games.
And I don’t see any game having a remote shot until Breath of the Wild gets a sequel, assuming it does.

Didn't Nintendo hint that they were doing another Zelda soon?

They are definitely working on one now, but the question is whether or not it's a sequel or a new title.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
mZuzek said:

No, because the thread has run its course at this point.

I guess I'll have to do a separate thread about direct sequels then.

Well, a sequel isn't necessarily the next release in the franchise, it is when the next release takes place after the previous one (Super Mario Galaxy 2) - so, in video games, Final Fantasy 7 is not the sequel to Final Fantasy 6, it is merely the next game in the Final Fantasy series. A prequel is a something that takes place before the previous release (Ace Attorney Investigations 2). A direct sequel is one that continues a story where it left off (Xenosaga Episode 2).

Or in movie terms:

Sequel: Die Hard 2
Direct Sequel: The Two Towers
Prequel: Phantom Menace

Last edited by Jumpin - on 11 May 2018

Super Mario Bros. 3. Zelda 2 comes close though.

For me that answer is easy: Super Mario Bros. 3. That game was so incredibly massive and epic for its time. Considering it originally released on Famicom in 1988, that game was absolutely packed with content, and really pushed the Famicom/NES hardware. I may be biased as it's also my favorite game of all time, but I don't think they've ever put out a sequel with MORE hype, that lived UP to or even surpassed that hype MORE than SMB3 did. It's Nintendo's quintessential masterpiece, as far as I'm concerned.

However, some excellent runner-up candidates would be:

Star Fox 64
Mario Kart 64
Link's Awakening
Pikmin 2 (not a huge fan of mandatory caves, but it's still an amazing game).

Wii Sports Resort

By far

Well, since the thread is pretty much about every Nintendo game that is not the first in a series, then my answer is The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.