By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales (Week 18): Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - April 30 - May 6, 2018 (Golden Week)

Here is the week 18 update in terms of the two big consoles in Japan's path to be able to reach the commonly stated (in these sales threads) estimates for 2018 sales (2 mil for PS4, 4 mil for Switch) .

TWS GD YTD AWN (Change)
PS4 34,994 +528 828,667 34,450 (-16)
Switch 53,113 -37,361 886,516 91,573 (+1099)

TWS - This week's sales
GD - Goal differential, the difference between the average week needed from last week compared to this week's sales
YTD - Units sold in 2018 so far including this week's sales
AWN - Average weekly sales needed to reach the estimate for the console.

PS4 stays level with last week and reaches its AWN once again as stock remains fully available for Golden Week. Switch gets the anticipated GW boost following a strong initial week for DKTF.

Around the Network

Ps4did 35k last week too. 35k baseline is very good

Pinkie_pie said:
Why the boost for hardwares?

Golden Week

TruckOSaurus said:

Love Japanese names for games: "Commentary powerful professional baseball 2018".

So a re-release of Donkey Kong pushes hardware better than Labo. Gotta wonder if it comes down to availability more than new software for Japan.

Also, I'm thinking 30k could be a decent baseline for the PS4.

No, DK didnt push hardware, Golden Week did.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Pinkie_pie said:
Why the boost for hardwares?

Golden Week

TruckOSaurus said:

Love Japanese names for games: "Commentary powerful professional baseball 2018".

So a re-release of Donkey Kong pushes hardware better than Labo. Gotta wonder if it comes down to availability more than new software for Japan.

Also, I'm thinking 30k could be a decent baseline for the PS4.

No, DK didnt push hardware, Golden Week did.

That makes more sense.

Signature goes here!

Golden week so this might not truly reflect baselines.

Second week of 35k for ps4 on a row since more stock arrived. It's still selling out online though. Find out next week if the stock issue finally gets resolved.

Around the Network

Due to the pre order numbers of COMG I expected that the baseball game would easily beat Donkey Kong. Obviously the ape crushed the bat.

Pinkie_pie said:
Ps4did 35k last week too. 35k baseline is very good

Im not sure if it will hold a 35k baseline, these numbers are for Golden Week and post-GW sales typically see a solid drop.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

XD84 said:
Due to the pre order numbers of COMG I expected that the baseball game would easily beat Donkey Kong. Obviously the ape crushed the bat.

Honestly a lot of people did not think Donkey Kong would reach that high of numbers. It is really impressive. 

Tropical Freeze is one of the best platformers I've ever played. I own a physical copy on my Wii U, but I couldn't resist buying it again on Switch. I've never been involved in speedrunning of any sort, but it's very tempting to get involved as more of a small hobby on some individual levels. The controls in this game are so spot on and the levels are designed with speed in mind. Not to mention the game looks very nice. I'm disappointed with the load times, however, despite reading that they have improved over the Wii U version. I find that shocking, as it still takes 10 - 15 seconds for loading between levels and pulling up the map.

Tropical Freeze did about 2.5x as much as the Wii U version and just slightly under Returns 3D (probably about the same with digital).