By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales (Week 18): Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - April 30 - May 6, 2018 (Golden Week)

That's a solid increase for Tropical Freeze and legs should be decent as well.

I hope The Wonderful 101 also gets a Switch port because that game definitely deserves a second chance.

Around the Network
Megiddo said:
BlackBeauty said:

But I was told last week PS4 base line is 30 - 35K (with STOCK!!!!!)

Where were you told that? The baseline is not 30-35k That's incredibly foolish. The PS4 is 5 years old and is a dedicated home console with an increasingly Western focus. It's not going to have almost the same baseline as the 2nd year of Nintendo's latest portable/home console.

Kyuu said:
BlackBeauty said:

But I was told last week PS4 base line is 30 - 35K (with STOCK!!!!!)

why the sudden change? :(

Will the shortage excuse be back when it’s 10K after golden week? Stay tune folks.

Whoever told you that is making groundless speculations. But the shortages aren't an excuse. You need to get over it!

I think a couple people said last week thread that the supply issue was fixed. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

It is fixed (for now at least, PS4 Slim & Pro are available in all online retailers). That's why it sold 3x what it sold when it was supply constraint. How are you not understanding this?

Golden Week has Children's Day. That's why Nintendo software gets a big boost and PS4 software does not. It's a holiday that pretty much caters to the more family-friendly Nintendo games and not to God of War/Far Cry 5/etc. Of course the PS4 isn't going to see a particularly big GW boost when it doesn't have the software that caters to Children's Day.

Megiddo said:

Here is the week 18 update in terms of the two big consoles in Japan's path to be able to reach the commonly stated (in these sales threads) estimates for 2018 sales (2 mil for PS4, 4 mil for Switch) .

TWS GD YTD AWN (Change)
PS4 34,994 +528 828,667 34,450 (-16)
Switch 53,113 -37,361 886,516 91,573 (+1099)

TWS - This week's sales
GD - Goal differential, the difference between the average week needed from last week compared to this week's sales
YTD - Units sold in 2018 so far including this week's sales
AWN - Average weekly sales needed to reach the estimate for the console.

PS4 stays level with last week and reaches its AWN once again as stock remains fully available for Golden Week. Switch gets the anticipated GW boost following a strong initial week for DKTF.

Have your predictions for this year changed at all? I remember you saying PS4 could sell 2.8 million this year (i dont remember what you said for NSW).

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

XD84 said:
Farsala said:

Huh? the baseball game is ahead of DK for now as COMG predicted. And weekly COMG predicted the DK win this week, if that's what you meant.

1. NSW Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze  109
2. PS4 Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu  54

I was talking about the pre order numbers.

Last day:

Baseball PS4 61

Donkey Kong 23

But obviously the week numbers indicate that Donkey Kong sold better. Thank you for your correction.

Those line up pretty good to

Baseball PS4 61: 125k,         2:1

Baseball PSV 18: 58k,           3:1

DK 23 : 88k,                           4:1

They all greatly exceeded COMG's expectations since the preorder numbers were so low compared to actual sales numbers. And there is digital numbers to take into account.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
kirby007 said:
So vgc users are way over xone ps4 and 3ds
The ns and psv look pretty good

You might want switch PS4 & PSV lol

Accuracywise? 

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

DK got a 50k boost compared to the original launch! This might be due to Golden Week but I think it's mostly thanks to Switch's popularity

Great legs for Nintendo games, and impressed with Tropical Freeze's sales.

Botw almost at 1 million in Japan, Kirby almost at 500k, ARMS at 400k, Labo almost at 200k and Snack World still going quite strong.

Last edited by Green098 - on 09 May 2018

zorg1000 said:
Megiddo said:

Here is the week 18 update in terms of the two big consoles in Japan's path to be able to reach the commonly stated (in these sales threads) estimates for 2018 sales (2 mil for PS4, 4 mil for Switch) .

TWS GD YTD AWN (Change)
PS4 34,994 +528 828,667 34,450 (-16)
Switch 53,113 -37,361 886,516 91,573 (+1099)

TWS - This week's sales
GD - Goal differential, the difference between the average week needed from last week compared to this week's sales
YTD - Units sold in 2018 so far including this week's sales
AWN - Average weekly sales needed to reach the estimate for the console.

PS4 stays level with last week and reaches its AWN once again as stock remains fully available for Golden Week. Switch gets the anticipated GW boost following a strong initial week for DKTF.

Have your predictions for this year changed at all? I remember you saying PS4 could sell 2.8 million this year (i dont remember what you said for NSW).

Good question.  KH4 would have to come out and be huge and Spider-Man would have to be much, much, more popular as a game than ever before to even come close to that prediction. That said, I'm still very confident that the ratio of sales between Switch and PS4 will be lower in 2018 than it was in 2017, as I predicted here: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8744379