By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why the Nintendo Online Service might be not as bad as you think.

Jumpin said:

Nintendo has a sect of fans who LOVE making themselves into victims.
Nintendo betrayed me and Wii U with Switch.

People saying that Nintendo "betrayed" them by releasing Wii U games on the Switch is probably one of the most annoying things on the internet. It's such a selfish and short-sighted thing to say...

B O I

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
JRPGfan said:

Maybe next gen with the Switch 2, it ll be better, and more like Xbox or Playstation's.... for now enjoy those NES games.

Tbh to me it sounds like Nintendo want to Charge its consumers, without actually offering much of anything for it.
And for some reason tons of people are damage controlling this.

I generally agree.  This Nintendo service sucks, but PSN sucked when it was first released too.  (Anyone remember Playstation Home?)  However Sony was smart in that they didn't charge anything at first so they could gradually work on the service and get it polished and more valuable.  Nintendo's biggest mistake is charging for their service right out of the gate.  I do think it will gradually get better just like PSN did, but it's not worth a whole lot at the moment.

It wasn't that bad, besides, it was 2006 and it was free at first

vivster said:
The problem isn't really the service. It's the fact that it costs money.

That's where I'm at. The price IS low, but cloud saves and a voice chat app really shouldn't cost money in and of themselves.

It's not that I'm mad, so much as a little deflated. I just hoped there'd be something more similar to what we've enjoyed on other platforms for over a decade now.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Ka-pi96 said:
It doesn't have voice chat... so yeah it is as bad as I think.

Yayyyyy!

Seriously, if I wanted voice chat, I'd use TeamSpeak, period.

The build-in voice chat is such an utter trash talk 99% of the time it's rendered completely useless, hence why I prefer 3rd party solutions for this. Using a phone app for this is a dumb solution, but for me it still beats normal voice chat.

What breaks it for me is more the fact that it costs money, as opposed to being free. I might get it however, depending on the NES classic games and the exclusive deals Nintendo has to offer.

Oh, and for those riling up against cloud saves costing something: Isn't it the same thing with Xbox and Playstation? I thought you need a subscription there too to get the cloud saves?

HyrulianScrolls said:

I really can't figure out Nintendo's refusal for simple voice chat and messaging features. Are they really that convinced they will somehow harm their brand reputation as a kid friendly console? Because if so, they're clearly clueless about all the 8 and 9 year olds out there playing Fortnite with voice chat.

And I have to concur with those saying that offering NES titles in 2018 is basically equivalent to a zero value. It should at least be SNES titles. 

Ever heard the usual trash talk in voice chat? i'd almost pay to get voicechat removed, that's how horrible it is at most times. On PC, I disable voice chat before changing the graphics settings. Voicechat for me is TS3 or bust.

Around the Network

It's not the worst thing yeah, but I'm just unhappy at the fact that we have to pay for online now... 20 USDs is better than the competition, but I still don't like it.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

I'm just going to wait and see. As long as I keep getting awesome single player games, I'm good. There's a lot of features I wish they'd add but it has nothing to do with their online service.

I have to get it to feed my child's Splatoon addiction whether it sucks or not.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Ka-pi96 said:
It doesn't have voice chat... so yeah it is as bad as I think.

Yayyyyy!

Seriously, if I wanted voice chat, I'd use TeamSpeak, period.

The build-in voice chat is such an utter trash talk 99% of the time it's rendered completely useless, hence why I prefer 3rd party solutions for this. Using a phone app for this is a dumb solution, but for me it still beats normal voice chat.

What breaks it for me is more the fact that it costs money, as opposed to being free. I might get it however, depending on the NES classic games and the exclusive deals Nintendo has to offer.

Oh, and for those riling up against cloud saves costing something: Isn't it the same thing with Xbox and Playstation? I thought you need a subscription there too to get the cloud saves?

It's totally free and unlimited on Xbox. It's also instant and automatic. You need PS+ to have cloud saves on PS4 but you can always back up your saves to an external device for free. I think there's a limit to how much you can save and (last time I had it) it only updated once a day.

On the Switch, currently there's no save transfer system and you'll have to pay for the option on Switch. Sucks since we've been able to easily copy saves since the PS1 (1995) days. If your Switch is broken, lost, or stolen, you lose everything. Not so with non Nintendo hardware if you plan ahead.

pastro243 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I generally agree.  This Nintendo service sucks, but PSN sucked when it was first released too.  (Anyone remember Playstation Home?)  However Sony was smart in that they didn't charge anything at first so they could gradually work on the service and get it polished and more valuable.  Nintendo's biggest mistake is charging for their service right out of the gate.  I do think it will gradually get better just like PSN did, but it's not worth a whole lot at the moment.

It wasn't that bad, besides, it was 2006 and it was free at first

It didn't seem terrible because it was free.  Nintendo's service wouldn't seem terrible if it was free either.  Basically Nintendo's service is a bad value right now.  It should be free.  PSN did it right by starting free, and now they've worked on it for several years they can get away with charging money for it.

morenoingrato said:
Regardless of how good the service is, it baffles me how much support from fans the NES Collection is getting.
It's 2018
. Mario 3 is great I guess, but it is an essentially worthless addition for little effort.

That explains why there was Zero demand for the NES Classic when it released.  That thing was easy to find, and was never sold out in stores.