By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why the Nintendo Online Service might be not as bad as you think.

Don't forget...

Stationnary game apparatus

http://patents.com/us-20150231511.html

And more, supplemental computing device

https://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.google.com/patents/US20150343306&ved=2ahUKEwimjPGV-PjaAhXDyRQKHVXjANoQFjAWegQIABAB&usg=AOvVaw0M_hhqUGB2uCFjVeJ95dJb

This patents is about a server, organized in community cloud. Perhaps this hardware will remplace smartphone application...
This hardware could be used to store games and communication online for the switch and look like a dock.

Nintendo could have keep secret a new hardware dedicated to online features.
That could explain why paid service online was delayed, and why vocal is not integred in switch but an other device.
Anyway, patent suggest it.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
The service will be terrible this year, but it will gradually get better and better.

Maybe next gen with the Switch 2, it ll be better, and more like Xbox or Playstation's.... for now enjoy those NES games.

Tbh to me it sounds like Nintendo want to Charge its consumers, without actually offering much of anything for it.
And for some reason tons of people are damage controlling this.

I generally agree.  This Nintendo service sucks, but PSN sucked when it was first released too.  (Anyone remember Playstation Home?)  However Sony was smart in that they didn't charge anything at first so they could gradually work on the service and get it polished and more valuable.  Nintendo's biggest mistake is charging for their service right out of the gate.  I do think it will gradually get better just like PSN did, but it's not worth a whole lot at the moment.

Have to understand that the soreness comes from the fact that people are just asking for what became the standard over a decade ago. It's not that much to ask.

Price point is great though. I'll probably do a family plan with friends.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
JRPGfan said:

Maybe next gen with the Switch 2, it ll be better, and more like Xbox or Playstation's.... for now enjoy those NES games.

Tbh to me it sounds like Nintendo want to Charge its consumers, without actually offering much of anything for it.

I generally agree.  This Nintendo service sucks, but PSN sucked when it was first released too.  (Anyone remember Playstation Home?)  However Sony was smart in that they didn't charge anything at first so they could gradually work on the service and get it polished and more valuable.  Nintendo's biggest mistake is charging for their service right out of the gate.  I do think it will gradually get better just like PSN did, but it's not worth a whole lot at the moment.

This isn't Nintendos first online service they had one with Wii and wiiu and 3ds no excuse for this bs.

I really can't figure out Nintendo's refusal for simple voice chat and messaging features. Are they really that convinced they will somehow harm their brand reputation as a kid friendly console? Because if so, they're clearly clueless about all the 8 and 9 year olds out there playing Fortnite with voice chat.

And I have to concur with those saying that offering NES titles in 2018 is basically equivalent to a zero value. It should at least be SNES titles. 

Last edited by HyrulianScrolls - on 09 May 2018

Around the Network
Jumpin said:

Nintendo has a sect of fans who LOVE making themselves into victims.
Nintendo betrayed me and Wii U with Switch.

People saying that Nintendo "betrayed" them by releasing Wii U games on the Switch is probably one of the most annoying things on the internet. It's such a selfish and short-sighted thing to say...

G O O D B O I

HyrulianScrolls said:

I really can't figure out Nintendo's refusal for simple voice chat and messaging features. Are they really that convinced they will somehow harm their brand reputation as a kid friendly console? Because if so, they're clearly clueless about all the 8 and 9 year olds out there playing Fortnite with voice chat.

And I have to concur with those saying that offering NES titles in 2018 is basically equivalent to a zero value. It should at least be SNES titles. 

They had Miiverse too I'm thinking the reason they cut Miiverse was because the pedofiles and swearing strangers with sexual drawings ? Nintendo needs to drop kid friendly socialness like they allowed wolfenstien into there games .

I game on all consoles and PC

The_Liquid_Laser said:
JRPGfan said:

It wasn't that bad, besides, it was 2006 and it was free at first

vivster said:
The problem isn't really the service. It's the fact that it costs money.

That's where I'm at. The price IS low, but cloud saves and a voice chat app really shouldn't cost money in and of themselves.

It's not that I'm mad, so much as a little deflated. I just hoped there'd be something more similar to what we've enjoyed on other platforms for over a decade now.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Ka-pi96 said:
It doesn't have voice chat... so yeah it is as bad as I think.

Yayyyyy!

Seriously, if I wanted voice chat, I'd use TeamSpeak, period.

The build-in voice chat is such an utter trash talk 99% of the time it's rendered completely useless, hence why I prefer 3rd party solutions for this. Using a phone app for this is a dumb solution, but for me it still beats normal voice chat.

What breaks it for me is more the fact that it costs money, as opposed to being free. I might get it however, depending on the NES classic games and the exclusive deals Nintendo has to offer.

Oh, and for those riling up against cloud saves costing something: Isn't it the same thing with Xbox and Playstation? I thought you need a subscription there too to get the cloud saves?