By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why the Nintendo Online Service might be not as bad as you think.

RolStoppable said:

On topic: Amusing how much people bash NES games and call Switch Online terrible value. I suppose nobody remembers the NES Mini and the demand for it. If people were willing to shell out up to $150 for the NES Mini and its 30 games, then a yearly subscription of $20 that starts with 20 games and is bound to grow in numbers should be looked at as Nintendo leaving money on the table once again.

Not an appropiate comparison. NES mini is an actual, tangible, physical product, especially catered to collectionists and nostalgia players, plus easily hackable (just like its SNES Mini counterpart) and a bunch of other things that made it an enticing product. Modified NES games here are nothing but temporary digital files in your console being offered to ease the fact that a console function that was previously free - online play - is not free anymore.

NES Mini didn't substract anything from people other than space in their room. NES games on Switch are a reminder of what was taken away. One can totally argue that Nintendo didn't really have to offer anything at all, which is fine, but one thing here is a clever business decision and the other is a reactionary move based on a relatively impopular business choice.

Around the Network
Conina said:

A few questions:

• will the NES games be playable offline or do they need an online connection in single player (like Super Mario Run)?
  • will the NES games stay active after the subscription ends (like 360 games in the GwG-sub)?
  • is only the upload of cloud saves subscription based? (so can I download cloud saves after the subscription ends?)
  • will cloud saves stay on the servers after the subscription runs out? (so can I download cloud saves with renewing the subscription after a pause?)

To tell you the truth spending 150 on a nes mini is a dumb purchase in my opinion. Why pay that much for emulated games when the PC version is free

Julianpd83 said:
Conina said:

A few questions:

• will the NES games be playable offline or do they need an online connection in single player (like Super Mario Run)?
  • will the NES games stay active after the subscription ends (like 360 games in the GwG-sub)?
  • is only the upload of cloud saves subscription based? (so can I download cloud saves after the subscription ends?)
  • will cloud saves stay on the servers after the subscription runs out? (so can I download cloud saves with renewing the subscription after a pause?)

To tell you the truth spending 150 on a nes mini is a dumb purchase in my opinion. Why pay that much for emulated games when the PC version is free

To tell you the truth that doesn't even answer one of the questions.

Conina said:
Julianpd83 said:

To tell you the truth that doesn't even answer one of the questions

Sorry it quoted the wrong person was meant to quote the person above u

I am just so frustrated that they are bearly showing anything for the online service. Either give us all the info in E3 or this month or just don't do online services at all. It's been 1 year already and you are showing us that you both don't know what you are doing (voice chat headphones) or you can't get even the bare essentials for a proper online service (messaging or improved performance)

Around the Network

Don't forget...

Stationnary game apparatus

http://patents.com/us-20150231511.html

And more, supplemental computing device

https://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.google.com/patents/US20150343306&ved=2ahUKEwimjPGV-PjaAhXDyRQKHVXjANoQFjAWegQIABAB&usg=AOvVaw0M_hhqUGB2uCFjVeJ95dJb

This patents is about a server, organized in community cloud. Perhaps this hardware will remplace smartphone application...
This hardware could be used to store games and communication online for the switch and look like a dock.

Nintendo could have keep secret a new hardware dedicated to online features.
That could explain why paid service online was delayed, and why vocal is not integred in switch but an other device.
Anyway, patent suggest it.

JRPGfan said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
The service will be terrible this year, but it will gradually get better and better.

Maybe next gen with the Switch 2, it ll be better, and more like Xbox or Playstation's.... for now enjoy those NES games.

Tbh to me it sounds like Nintendo want to Charge its consumers, without actually offering much of anything for it.
And for some reason tons of people are damage controlling this.

I generally agree.  This Nintendo service sucks, but PSN sucked when it was first released too.  (Anyone remember Playstation Home?)  However Sony was smart in that they didn't charge anything at first so they could gradually work on the service and get it polished and more valuable.  Nintendo's biggest mistake is charging for their service right out of the gate.  I do think it will gradually get better just like PSN did, but it's not worth a whole lot at the moment.

Have to understand that the soreness comes from the fact that people are just asking for what became the standard over a decade ago. It's not that much to ask.

Price point is great though. I'll probably do a family plan with friends.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
JRPGfan said:

Maybe next gen with the Switch 2, it ll be better, and more like Xbox or Playstation's.... for now enjoy those NES games.

Tbh to me it sounds like Nintendo want to Charge its consumers, without actually offering much of anything for it.
And for some reason tons of people are damage controlling this.

I generally agree.  This Nintendo service sucks, but PSN sucked when it was first released too.  (Anyone remember Playstation Home?)  However Sony was smart in that they didn't charge anything at first so they could gradually work on the service and get it polished and more valuable.  Nintendo's biggest mistake is charging for their service right out of the gate.  I do think it will gradually get better just like PSN did, but it's not worth a whole lot at the moment.

This isn't Nintendos first online service they had one with Wii and wiiu and 3ds no excuse for this bs.

I really can't figure out Nintendo's refusal for simple voice chat and messaging features. Are they really that convinced they will somehow harm their brand reputation as a kid friendly console? Because if so, they're clearly clueless about all the 8 and 9 year olds out there playing Fortnite with voice chat.

And I have to concur with those saying that offering NES titles in 2018 is basically equivalent to a zero value. It should at least be SNES titles. 

Last edited by HyrulianScrolls - on 09 May 2018