By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why the Nintendo Online Service might be not as bad as you think.

I don't get the negative reaction. I think it's just a lot of people complaining just because they like complaining.

The mobile app for voice chat is typical Nintendo really dumb online decision, but it came out for Splatoon last summer so we already knew that is what they were gonna use for online chat.

We already knew it would be priced at $20 which is at excellent price point and much cheaper than the competition.

We already know the whole online setup won't be as good as the competition because Nintendo is always far behind the competition when it comes to online.

And we already knew that free retro games would be a part of the online subscription package. We didn't know for sure if that was going to entirely replaced the VC, which we now know it is. But also what we now know is it's starting with 20(!) NES games, and games will be continuously added in the future, plus some/many of the games have been given online play! Sounds like a MUCH better deal than the Virtual Console ever was. Assuming they only add games and don't make it a rotation where games come and go, this new model dominates having to pay $5 - $10 for every single VC game! Instead we are gonna get dozens of games to play for $20/year.

Around the Network

I mean the only thing bad about it is voice chat being not ideal, but I never used that anyway and discord is an option out there. The only other thing I could see people want is some sort of miiverse like service.

Only having to pay £17.99 a year honestly makes up for it not being as full blown as Microsoft and Sony's £49.99 only options.

The main thing I just see is the double standard that Nintendo can't charge for online when Sony and Microsoft have been for years.

Last edited by Green098 - on 08 May 2018

Last person to preach their views on something to try and convince people they should like it got crucified lol.

You won't change their minds. Let them be. Once the service comes out and their friends are playing online and they aren't they will soon join in lol.

For less than $2 a month, I can't complain. I actually look forward to seeing how Nintendo expands their classic game selection over the years.

It's saved by the fact that it costs 20$. For now.

Around the Network

I will subscribe purely because I will need it to continue playing my favourite games online. Disappointing that NES games are being rolled out for the umpteenth time, such a missed opportunity to go with Gamecube games. These would have been quite fresh since they never made any appearance on any Virtual console. Hope Nintendo plan to go down the Gamecube route in the future.

Cobretti2 said:
Last person to preach their views on something to try and convince people they should like it got crucified lol.

You won't change their minds. Let them be. Once the service comes out and their friends are playing online and they aren't they will soon join in lol.

Im not.Its just simply fun to state my mind about subjects that I like.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

I’d gladly pay double the yearly price if they added Achievements and a better socializing aspect. I couldn’t care less about playing online.

If the best and most compelling aspect is a bunch of games that are almost 40 years old then it is a bad service.

The reality is that somehow Nintendo managed to make an online service that's a generation behind.... The Xbox 360. And they have the audacity to actually charge for it. Needing another device to handle basic functions like messaging is insane.

bananaking21 said:
If the best and most compelling aspect is a bunch of games that are almost 40 years old then it is a bad service.

The reality is that somehow Nintendo managed to make an online service that's a generation behind.... The Xbox 360. And they have the audacity to actually charge for it. Needing another device to handle basic functions like messaging is insane.

I don't mind the smart phone idea as they kind of tried to do the whole local multiplayer on the go with others. So chances are the Switch will not be connected to the internet.

It is the fact that you need a 10000000000 cords to do it what is off putting.

For home usage, they should still offer the ability to do it the traditional way via the Switch itself only.