By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - No Virtual Console on Switch says Nintendo (by Kotaku)

What's your opinion

Happy 5 8.47%

Sad 32 54.24%

Don't care 22 37.29%

Total:59

No problem, I'll just use homebrew emulators. =P

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network

It's nonsense.

Although I despise Wii U, currently playing VC games on it is one of my favourite game pleasures.

I bet they'll re release many of them again. We'll just have to pay for them over again.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

DragonRouge said:
So... all of a sudden it is fine for a platform holder to ditch its back catalogue, good to know. I for one was waiting for the VC to buy a Switch, seems like I'll pass on it completely, well, maybe in some time i'll buy one off from a pawn shop to play a couple of games. This reeks of "games as a service" shit to me by the way.

Well you can rebuy a lot of WiiU games on the Switch.

KLXVER said:
DragonRouge said:
So... all of a sudden it is fine for a platform holder to ditch its back catalogue, good to know. I for one was waiting for the VC to buy a Switch, seems like I'll pass on it completely, well, maybe in some time i'll buy one off from a pawn shop to play a couple of games. This reeks of "games as a service" shit to me by the way.

Well you can rebuy a lot of WiiU games on the Switch.

You mean buy them, I never bought a WiiU. It's just that I'm not convinced by the Switch as a home console, I wanted it for VC games on the go, basically, but that's not going to happen, so no Switch for me. 

Perhaps in a couple or more years I'll buy one used, depending on how good Metroid Prime 4 turns out to be.

OdinHades said:
No problem, I'll just use homebrew emulators. =P

This is actually starting to look like a plausible option for me.

Around the Network
Proxy-Pie said:
From the pioneers of a huge library of downloadable classics to the worst solution of the big 3. GGs Nintendo.

SuperNova said:

Getting happier by the minute that the NES/SNES classics are so hackable.

I loved the Virtual console. It was one of the reasons I got into the WiiU. I loved owning the games and being able to actually buy them with minimal hassle from the official source. I'd have probably rebought some of them and surely gotten into newer VC systems like GC on my Switch.

If all I'm getting now are 20 NES games (and really pricey Arcade classics/Neo Geo games), I'm not going to lie, it's going to push me back towards piracy. I wan't convenience and I want the assurance that my games will still be there in 10 years, when Nintendos online service in it's current incarnation will probabably be a thing of the past.
If Nintendo decides to make that hard for me through legal means, I'm going to resort to the more convenient option. I wan't to give you money for your old games Nintendo. Keep them easily accessible.

Now if they really flesh out that online service library, with more systems and releases as well as third party games (if not systems, I guess we can kiss the sega systems goodbye..), I'd be kind of ok, but still not happy with it.
Like I said, I prefer owning my games, compared to renting them.

LiquorandGunFun said:
well there it is.

now i will take advantage of the hacked switch. im done.

burninmylight said:
Shiken said:
As long as we still get quality and plentiful current gen games, it should he fine. Indies have come a long way and there are plenty of retro style ones to fill that void.

I guess I will stick with ebay and emulation for my classic gaming needs. I think their best route for classics would be to release more mini consoles with compilations and produce more than "limited edition" quantities to keep them in stock. The only bad thing about them is the scalping sue to understocking issues.

Mini consoles are not a solution for a true VC type of service. The amount of games they offer is a drop in the bucket compared to what can be offered through VC, you'd have to pay the initial cost of the entire system (if you're lucky enough not to resort to buying from scalpers) even if you're only interested in a game or two from the collection, they aren't portable thus far, they are yet another piece of hardware demanding space near a TV and requiring power and a connection to a TV, you can't expand their range of games or functionality via updates, and they are just plain a humongous pain in the ass to acquire.

Wow didn't realize that VC was the best thing in the world.
All I ever heard was people bitching and complaining non stop about it not having the games they wanted or taking forever to release games, ect.

Now it apparently had every game imaginable and put the emulation people out of a job. Now everyone will go to hacking, because they can't purchase Mario for the 20th time on the newest Nintendo console and they don't want to play on their 2DS, 3DS, Wii, Wii U, Phone emulatr, PC Emulator, ect that they have the game on already.

Personally I'm happy they are doing this way. It seems to be a Netflix like subscription. For $20 a year. Yea a year. My Netflix is like $13 a month. But for $20 a year, I can get access to 20 games now and hopefully hundreds later. And that should translate to future hardware. When the  Switch 2 comes out or whatever console, my subscription beign tied to mynintendo account means I won't have to repurchase all my "VC" games again. I just log into my Nintendo Netflix and start playing old games.

I see some people all angry saying they won't buy the Switch or play their Switch anymore because of no Virtual Console....do these people realize Switch is still gonna have NES/SNES/N64 games? It seems some people just read headlines and then react negatively.

Nintendo is just rebranding to an all-inclusive retro game setup under their paid Switch online subscription. I bet if Nintendo still called it the Virtual Console none of these people would be complaining and they'd be praising Nintendo for giving them the full Virtual Console for free bundled with paid online multiplayer, not to mention online play added to these retro games!

No matter how you cut it, this is a big upgrade to the Virtual Console model they've had the last two generations.

Of course there won't be a virtual console. Nintendo have caught on that their mini systems sell by the bucket load. Calling it now that we will see N64 and Gamecube mini's

irstupid said:
Proxy-Pie said:
From the pioneers of a huge library of downloadable classics to the worst solution of the big 3. GGs Nintendo.

SuperNova said:

Getting happier by the minute that the NES/SNES classics are so hackable.

I loved the Virtual console. It was one of the reasons I got into the WiiU. I loved owning the games and being able to actually buy them with minimal hassle from the official source. I'd have probably rebought some of them and surely gotten into newer VC systems like GC on my Switch.

If all I'm getting now are 20 NES games (and really pricey Arcade classics/Neo Geo games), I'm not going to lie, it's going to push me back towards piracy. I wan't convenience and I want the assurance that my games will still be there in 10 years, when Nintendos online service in it's current incarnation will probabably be a thing of the past.
If Nintendo decides to make that hard for me through legal means, I'm going to resort to the more convenient option. I wan't to give you money for your old games Nintendo. Keep them easily accessible.

Now if they really flesh out that online service library, with more systems and releases as well as third party games (if not systems, I guess we can kiss the sega systems goodbye..), I'd be kind of ok, but still not happy with it.
Like I said, I prefer owning my games, compared to renting them.

LiquorandGunFun said:
well there it is.

now i will take advantage of the hacked switch. im done.

burninmylight said:

Mini consoles are not a solution for a true VC type of service. The amount of games they offer is a drop in the bucket compared to what can be offered through VC, you'd have to pay the initial cost of the entire system (if you're lucky enough not to resort to buying from scalpers) even if you're only interested in a game or two from the collection, they aren't portable thus far, they are yet another piece of hardware demanding space near a TV and requiring power and a connection to a TV, you can't expand their range of games or functionality via updates, and they are just plain a humongous pain in the ass to acquire.

Wow didn't realize that VC was the best thing in the world.
All I ever heard was people bitching and complaining non stop about it not having the games they wanted or taking forever to release games, ect.

Now it apparently had every game imaginable and put the emulation people out of a job. Now everyone will go to hacking, because they can't purchase Mario for the 20th time on the newest Nintendo console and they don't want to play on their 2DS, 3DS, Wii, Wii U, Phone emulatr, PC Emulator, ect that they have the game on already.

Personally I'm happy they are doing this way. It seems to be a Netflix like subscription. For $20 a year. Yea a year. My Netflix is like $13 a month. But for $20 a year, I can get access to 20 games now and hopefully hundreds later. And that should translate to future hardware. When the  Switch 2 comes out or whatever console, my subscription beign tied to mynintendo account means I won't have to repurchase all my "VC" games again. I just log into my Nintendo Netflix and start playing old games.

it's almost like diffrent people had diffrent opinions on the VC and you are conflating opposite viewpoints and diffrent groups of people.

It makes sense for two reasons:

1. Nintendo doesn't want to cannibalize indie sales.

2. People who have already bought the games on Wii/Wii U don't have to buy them yet again, instead it is covered under their cheap subscription service.

I am somewhat bummed, but I can just play all of the games I have bought and played a four or five times already when emulators and homebrew hit.