By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - No Virtual Console on Switch says Nintendo (by Kotaku)

What's your opinion

Happy 5 8.47%

Sad 32 54.24%

Don't care 22 37.29%

Total:59

I’m confused. If the Switch already has some of their classics available on the Switch - what’s the big deal here? Is it that the whole library isn’t available? If that’s the case, the VC’s library was quite small. What’s the difference between getting Donkey Kong via the VC or just buying it from their online store? Is it a branding thing?

Around the Network

Good.
Hopefully it means they're going to focus on the online sub and put as much games as possible.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

burninmylight said:

I don't care that the online service is just $20. I like having the option of buying a game and being able to have it sit on a hard/flash drive waiting for me whenever I want it. PS Plus has been a thing for a while, yet I can still buy PS1 and PS2 classics whenever I feel like it without needing PS+. It's all about options, and if the option to do that doesn't return, then it'll be a tremendous step back for me.

This, i'm surprised people are giving it a pass. Thank God for emulation

Oh no!!! I liked Virtual Console. I don’t really pirate or keep retro systems so it was a good service for me.

But...the important thing is to move on. It’s what Virtual Console would have wanted. Hopefully we still get some retro games on the eShop over time.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

I really dislike PS Now and the streaming of games. This move seems like a negative to me unless they simply mean re-branding the VC rather than going to a "services" model.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network

Honestly, if the subscription service replaces the VC, and we get A TON of games on it over the next few years, then I prefer that. Otherwise, third parties are already releasing games outside of the VC brand, so it doesn’t seem all that big a deal... but I LIKED the VC brand. All I want is permanent access to the library I had on Wii U - for me that console was 10% Xenoblade Chronicles X, 5-8% other games (mostly Trine 2 and Assassin’s Creed games), and 82-85% Wii emulator and Virtual Console.

I’m a MASSIVE supporter of catalogue software - say it’s only because of nostalgia that I love these games, I don’t care =P Give me my classic RPGs and platformers... and would the REAL Duck Tales game please stand up... no more of this HD re-arted crap (yes I said it, Duck Tales Remastered was Re-arted!).

Anyway, all I want to see is Nintendo’s netflix-VC service reach the heights of the Wii + Earthbound + Fire Emblem Blazing Blade (both found on Wii U, but not Wii) - Wii dropped some really big classics toward the end of support in late 2010 and 2011, Chrono Trigger and FF6. There was also Ogre Battle and other greats, ALL SORTS of adventures and platformers and obscure games from the likes of Will Wright (Sim ____)

Last edited by Jumpin - on 08 May 2018

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

This makes sense. The Switch relies mostly on full priced ports from older generations, so virtual console wouldn't be necessary.

Prediction. Nintendo will still release the same games later on, but since it's not "virtual console" you will have to buy them all over again.

No Gamecube releases then ?

So... all of a sudden it is fine for a platform holder to ditch its back catalogue, good to know. I for one was waiting for the VC to buy a Switch, seems like I'll pass on it completely, well, maybe in some time i'll buy one off from a pawn shop to play a couple of games. This reeks of "games as a service" shit to me by the way.