By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - How High Will Avengers:IW Soar? (Currently @ ~$2.04B+)

mZuzek said:
pikashoe said:

In the film they show him slaughtering the people  of Gomorrahs home world. Which improved greatly since his genocide.

Based on..?

Also, "Gomorrah", dude.

I'm pretty sure they mentioned it in the movie. His whole thing is that he has been going planet to planet slaughtering the population so that the planets will improve. I think most people are aware that if the human population was a lot smaller a lot of our issues would be lessened.

Oops autocorrect haha.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
pikashoe said:

In the film they show him slaughtering the people  of Gomorrahs home world. Which improved greatly since his genocide.

Based on..?

Also, "Gomorrah", dude.

We take him at his word, but I'd guess it to be true as it emboldens him on his mission and reinforces his mindset.

The issue about "why doesn't he double resources?" is answered by how Thanos views sacrifice.  He forces people to choose.  He tortures Thor and Nebula to push Loki and Gamora to choices, which they fail in his eyes.  When he forces Star Lord and he pulls the trigger at Gamora Thanos admires him.  When Thanos sacrifices Gamora for the Soul Stone it is the cost that makes his goal have value.  Even at the end he admires Scarlet Witch for killing Vision before he brings him back to kill him again.  His distorted logic is creatures of comfort don't value what they have, they grow complacent and spread until they collapse like Titan did.  Through loss and pain the survivors are reforged hence why in his mind the half that remain are changed and for the better to him.

Nymeria said:
mZuzek said:

Based on..?

Also, "Gomorrah", dude.

We take him at his word, but I'd guess it to be true as it emboldens him on his mission and reinforces his mindset.

The issue about "why doesn't he double resources?" is answered by how Thanos views sacrifice.  He forces people to choose.  He tortures Thor and Nebula to push Loki and Gamora to choices, which they fail in his eyes.  When he forces Star Lord and he pulls the trigger at Gamora Thanos admires him.  When Thanos sacrifices Gamora for the Soul Stone it is the cost that makes his goal have value.  Even at the end he admires Scarlet Witch for killing Vision before he brings him back to kill him again.  His distorted logic is creatures of comfort don't value what they have, they grow complacent and spread until they collapse like Titan did.  Through loss and pain the survivors are reforged hence why in his mind the half that remain are changed and for the better to him.

You did a much better job at explaining it than me.

mZuzek said:
AsGryffynn said:

Actually, he'd be right either way. DC movies have been doing great, but everyone calls them a flop because they aren't the Avengers. Naturally, some people start getting annoyed when the bar is set at "the most popular franchise to date that is clearly overhyped". 

I liked the MCU for a while, then Civil War happened and I rage quitted. Given how GotG went, I was probably doing the right thing... 

Hint: Splashes of humor are alright. Enough humor to get a Comedy tag isn't. 

BREAKING: The entire comedy genre sucks! Stop making comedy movies people!

I didn't expect comedy to make it into a movie that wasn't branded or even tagged as a friggin comedy... 

Estimates are in and IW made $28.67M at the DBO. It now sits at $1.81B WW, making it the 4th highest grossing film WW in just 4 weeks.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
Estimates are in and IW made $28.67M at the DBO. It now sits at $1.81B WW, making it the 4th highest grossing film WW in just 4 weeks.

That's where it will end it's run

thismeintiel said:

It's doing extremely well, but I'm not sure if it will be able to break the $2B barrier worldwide.  It will get very close, but sales seem to be slowing down fairly rapidly for IW.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
thismeintiel said:

It's doing extremely well, but I'm not sure if it will be able to break the $2B barrier worldwide.  It will get very close, but sales seem to be slowing down fairly rapidly for IW.

Well, it made ~$30M WW for this just this past Mon and Tue.  It's definitely slowing down at the DBO, but it should still make it to ~$650M.  It's still doing great at the FBO, though, as ~$24.4M of that $30M is outside the DBO.  If the FBO holds at ~67.3%, the final WW numbers would be ~$1.99B.  However, it's obvious that the FBO is probably going to make up more like 70% if the trend continues, which would put WW numbers at ~$2.17B.

AsGryffynn said:
Faelco said:

But he's saying so while filming Avatar 2, 3 and 4. Very high level of hypocrisy. And he didn't complain about blockbusters but about superhero movies only IIRC. It's easy to understand him. The interest for Avatar sequels is already low, so he wants less competition to lower the flop chances. The only marketing plan for Avatar 2 so far is "the sequel of the biggest movie ever", it would be awful for him to lose that...

Actually, he'd be right either way. DC movies have been doing great, but everyone calls them a flop because they aren't the Avengers. Naturally, some people start getting annoyed when the bar is set at "the most popular franchise to date that is clearly overhyped". 

I liked the MCU for a while, then Civil War happened and I rage quitted. Given how GotG went, I was probably doing the right thing... 

Hint: Splashes of humor are alright. Enough humor to get a Comedy tag isn't. 

I don't know if anyone has explained this to you yet, but the way the current market is the DC movies have been disasters for WB. Nobody invests hundreds of millions of dollars just to recoop the money. They could easily just invest that money in stocks and bonds. You can also tell how disastrous they were by the studios reaction each time a film came out. Especially after the justice league 

thismeintiel said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Well, it made ~$30M WW for this just this past Mon and Tue.  It's definitely slowing down at the DBO, but it should still make it to ~$650M.  It's still doing great at the FBO, though, as ~$24.4M of that $30M is outside the DBO.  If the FBO holds at ~67.3%, the final WW numbers would be ~$1.99B.  However, it's obvious that the FBO is probably going to make up more like 70% if the trend continues, which would put WW numbers at ~$2.17B.

It's definitely going to be around $2B regardless of whether it is a little above or a little below.  I saw somewhere that it had a huge first week in China, but it had a huge drop off after that.  In general Infinity War is taking in huge record breaking numbers everywhere, but ticket sales also seem front loaded.  Infinity War will definitely not have the legs that Black Panther had.