By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Capcom is Clowning Us!

Are you down to clown?

Fat chance! 15 68.18%

I'll probably cave... 1 4.55%

Take my money, Capcom! 6 27.27%

Total:22
JRPGfan said:
Why is it even 3.2 GB?... and why didnt they put this on a 4gb cartridge?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:
John2290 said:

If that's the case then it must not be the companies and instead Nintendo keeping the prices hiked. Some games cost ten quid more on switch, if you are correct it's definitely not the publishers who are keeping those prices up, no one wants that PR. If it is Nintendo they need to stop it immediately and bring down prices before kids and teenagers start hacking there systems, at worst breaking there systems so they can't buy Nintendo games and at best taking a chunk out of sales through piracy. Nintendos prices have always been high but this is ridiculous.

No, no, NO.  The price I am referring to is what developers pay.  An 8GB cart costs the same or slightly less to put on the shelf for 3rd parties as a PS4 disc.  There's no Nintendo pricing shenanigans at play at those capacities, PERIOD.  We've known about the costs of these carts for 3rd parties for a year now.  What you have here is Capcom seeing an opportunity to have even higher margins on Switch than PS4 by being cheapskates.  And is this really shocking looking at Capcom's history of opportunism?  Stop blaming Nintendo for a BS move brought to you by the same company that has pulled enough crap over the years to fill multiple books.

You're gonna have to give me a source on that because i simply don't believe a cart is cheaper to manufacture than a disc.

Actually my googling tells me exactly the opposite: https://www.destructoid.com/a-look-at-why-some-nintendo-switch-carts-cost-more-than-their-multiplatform-counterparts-424878.phtml

If publishers are under NDA from Nintendo, it is clear who is to blame.

Nuvendil said:
Cobretti2 said:

Isn't Nintendo the ones supplying the carts to publishers? they could just mass produce the 8GB ones to get costs down instead of make 1GB 2GB and 4GB for a few games that may benefit from it being that small. 

Well no, the small sizes should stay cause they do offer great opportunities for midtier and small time games.  What they should do is just forbid partial downloads for any game under 8GB.  

Yer but what i'm saying is if Nintendo makes these carts, if they streamline to a few models not so many it will cost less to make and they can pump out more. They could wear the small loss of the 8gb cart and we wouldn't see this crap of having to download games.

Nem said:
Nuvendil said:

No, no, NO.  The price I am referring to is what developers pay.  An 8GB cart costs the same or slightly less to put on the shelf for 3rd parties as a PS4 disc.  There's no Nintendo pricing shenanigans at play at those capacities, PERIOD.  We've known about the costs of these carts for 3rd parties for a year now.  What you have here is Capcom seeing an opportunity to have even higher margins on Switch than PS4 by being cheapskates.  And is this really shocking looking at Capcom's history of opportunism?  Stop blaming Nintendo for a BS move brought to you by the same company that has pulled enough crap over the years to fill multiple books.

You're gonna have to give me a source on that because i simply don't believe a cart is cheaper to manufacture than a disc.

Actually my googling tells me exactly the opposite: https://www.destructoid.com/a-look-at-why-some-nintendo-switch-carts-cost-more-than-their-multiplatform-counterparts-424878.phtml

If publishers are under NDA from Nintendo, it is clear who is to blame.

These aren't the N64 days, these carts are just flash memory cards.  Nothing fancy about it.

Cost varies by capacity.  32GB increases cost of goods by around 60% for 3rd parties.  8GB carts come in even with PS4 discs.  If carts were more expensive from the base capacity on up, you wouldn't in a million years see Bethesda use a 16GB.  

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/09/feature_exploring_the_switch_tax_and_why_nintendo_was_right_to_use_game_cards

This was all revealed ages ago by Daniel Ahmad, a highly credible and legitimate industry source. 

If this collection was over 8GB, Capcom would have a leg to stand on.  But this could fit on a 4GB cart.  They are actually opting to spend *less* on the Switch physical version than the PS4, cheaping out with what seems to be a 1GB cart, the cheapest one being made.  They may as well be shipping a download code in a box.  Capcom is just being a miserly prick.

No nintendo clowned you with the limited expensive cart.

Around the Network
LiquorandGunFun said:

See the above post.  This particular game could easily fit on a cart that's equal to or cheaper than a PS4 disc.  

Nuvendil said:
LiquorandGunFun said:

See the above post.  This particular game could easily fit on a cart that's equal to or cheaper than a PS4 disc.  

the cart sucks period. google anything you want.

edit: I will go with the "idea" of Capcom having a meeting, one guy says to another "lets fuck with switch owners" the other guy says "great Idea". then they go to the manager of the project and tell them, hey make them do this and that, and download the other thing and make it several gigs more because we like extra work.

If anything it has more to do with the company with the hardware and how to develop for it. but that insanity to some so go with the scenario about camcom getting together to say fuck switch owners, we dont want to sell games.

Last edited by LiquorandGunFun - on 04 May 2018

While I agree this is the epitome of cheap, I do believe it's kind of up to Nintendo to stimulate the use of larger cartridges accross the board to prevent these things.

nemo37 said:
John2290 said:

If that's the case then it must not be the companies and instead Nintendo keeping the prices hiked. Some games cost ten quid more on switch, if you are correct it's definitely not the publishers who are keeping those prices up, no one wants that PR. If it is Nintendo they need to stop it immediately and bring down prices before kids and teenagers start hacking there systems, at worst breaking there systems so they can't buy Nintendo games and at best taking a chunk out of sales through piracy. Nintendos prices have always been high but this is ridiculous.

This is in no way Nintendo's fault. The 8 GB cartridge costs the same for developers as a PS4 Blu-Ray disc (source: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/09/feature_exploring_the_switch_tax_and_why_nintendo_was_right_to_use_game_cards).

Capcom is simply doing this because they can make more money. They could have put this on 4GB cartridge and still made more money per unit than the PS4 physical release.

Also, referring to your first comment. (1) While the Switch is hacked piracy is not an option yet (though it is inevitable). (2) Both 3DS and PS4 have been hackable for a good while now with piracy yet neither has really suffered. (3) You fault Nintendo for using cartridges but what other option do they have? Mini-disc standards have not been updated in a decade and so they offer little storage (even Sony moved away from the UMDs to cartridges) and if they only had the option for digital purchases there would have been an Xbox One style outrage.

https://arstechnica.com/uncategorized/2006/03/6400-2/

The reference for the PS4 Blu Ray disc cost is from 2006 when Blu-ray was literally just starting.  You will have to come up with a more recent article about the cost of a Blu-ray to be more credible

LiquorandGunFun said:
Nuvendil said:

the cart sucks period. google anything you want.

edit: I will go with the "idea" of Capcom having a meeting, one guy says to another "lets fuck with switch owners" the other guy says "great Idea". then they go to the manager of the project and tell them, hey make them do this and that, and download the other thing and make it several gigs more because we like extra work.

If anything it has more to do with the company with the hardware and how to develop for it. but that insanity to some so go with the scenario about camcom getting together to say fuck switch owners, we dont want to sell games.

No, it was more a meeting where they said, "hey, if we use these 1GB carts we can cut our cost of goods in half!  And our nostalgic Mega Man fans will eat this up no doubt!"  Cause they haven't made the game larger, they've just chosen to use the smallest cart in production and force you to download the rest of what should be on the cart.  It's less preying on Nintendo as preying on the starved Mega Man fans.  It's just there's no real way to pull this fuckery on PS4.  There is no cheap disc option.  But the carts go down to 1GB, which are significantly cheaper (relatively speaking mind) than the 8GB.  Yeah, it's only a couple extra bucks per copy but if they sell hundreds of thousands or a million copies, well that's hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars in their bank account.