By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Theory/Prediction: Sony is about to reveal a Portable PS4

How Crazy am I?

You are a Gaming Nostrodomus 15 15.96%

What medication are you on? 79 84.04%

Total:94
forevercloud3000 said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
I've heard this for well over a year,nothing has happened.

Timing is everything.

A year ago they would not release it because the Pro was fresh on the market.

There was a lot of the same skeptisism over the Pro which many believed was unlikely for it could "splimter the base", yet here we are.

That's only half of it. There were people that thought one of two things would happen. The Pro would require developers to actually take advantage of the hardware, which would mean hundreds of man hours of additional work, time that would almost definitely be taken from other work developing the game, and lead to lower quality, less complete games... or... Sony would require developers to do the bare minimum to support it, and you would have almost zero developers outside of first party actually taking advantage of the actual hardware, making the Pro practically pointless.

From what I've heard, Sony floated the idea to some of the biggest third parties, received the heap of shit they were inevitably going to get, and instead relaxed a lot of the policies they intended to implement on release for future games, neutering the pro before it even got out of the gates. It's pretty obvious at this point that the PS4 Pro experiment hasn't gone very well, and frankly I hope we don't see it again.

Around the Network
forevercloud3000 said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
I've heard this for well over a year,nothing has happened.

Timing is everything.

A year ago they would not release it because the Pro was fresh on the market.

There was a lot of the same skeptisism over the Pro which many believed was unlikely for it could "splimter the base", yet here we are.

yeah its wishful thinking more than anything

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

KBG29 said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

This just screams Sega Nomad to me, we saw how well THAT went over. Sony is not releasing a portable PS4, there are just too many factors working against it. Physical software would be a problem, digital only would cut the potential market for software sales. People still buy physical games, I cant imagine a portable console with a cd/dvd drive, would add significant bulk and cost to the product.

What would be the demographic for a portable PS4? Considering the PS4 is in year 5 with <80 million sold, are we expecting a large percentage of repeat buyers to put up $400-500 for a bulky portable version of something they already have. Are a there a plethora of new customers who havent yet purchased a PS4 who will finally dig in because now it's portable?

There's also the Nintendo factor, both times Sony has attempted a more powerful handheld than Nintendo they've come up short

I don't think a digital only PS4 Mobile would cut into the potential market as much as you think. Digital is growing stronger and stronger, and this would be a perfect device, to drive even more people to buy digital. Even if they don't buy a PS4M, just knowing that a digital copy could be played on PS4M if they decide to buy in the future would easily tip the scales. 

The demograohic question is always asked for new products. Many people asked, who the Switch was for. People asked why they would ever need a cell phone to do anything but make calls, and who would want something like that. Before the start of this gen, many were asking who needs a console in this day and age. There are some ~250 million people that by consoles and handhelds. If a console or portable is released that meets peoples needs it will sell.

Going on to price, I don't know how to say it, but there is no way a PS4 Mobile would be $400 - $500. If it is based on the OG PS4, and running on the same chipset as a theoretical PS4 SS, then there is no reason it should be more than $299.99. Smartphones massive mark ups have blinded people to the true cost of mobile devices. A Smartphone cost $250 in parts and sells for $800 - $1000, a portable cost $250 in parts and it is $200 - $300. In the console business it has never been about soaking consumers as much as possible on hardware, you sell at cost and make money on software and services. 

Are there a plethora of new consumers yet to by PS4? Did PS2 sell 150 million units? Did PS1 sell 100M+? Did DS sell 150M units? There is plenty of room for PS4 to grow. There is no reason that PS4 spanning Home and Mobile could not be the most successful gaming platform of all time. On the flip side, there is no garentee of it either. In theory, having a unified platform, that spans across mobile and home should reach a larger userbase than a platform locked to either one. 

Finally addressing Nintendo. What makes a PS4 Mobile different, is the shared ecosystem. Sony would not be building an entirely new product and platform. They would simply be expanding their exsisting Hardware, OS, Software, and Services to a new form factor. Thanks to the shared R&D and Devleopment, a Mobile PS4 would be a very cheap venture for Sony, meaning that they don't have a lot to loose. A PS4 sold is a PS4 Sold, a PS4 Mobile sold is a PS4 sold. It all goes towards growing the same ecosystem. They don't have to sell more PS4M than Switches for PS4M to succeed. If the combonation of PS4+PS4M is more than Switch great for Sony, but at nearly 80M strong already and closing in on $2 Billion in yearly profits PS4 is already a successful platform. So PS4M can sell 2 Million additional PS4's a year or 20 Million. At the end of the day it grows the PS4 platform, brings more people to Sony's OS, and/or keeps current customers active on PlayStation more often. It is a win, win situation for Sony, and increases the value of their OS, Software, and Services.

Digital media is growing but it still isnt the primary source for software sales. The main thesis of releasing a portable PS4 would be to sell more software no? Why release something that couldnt take full advantage of the market?

Releasing an all new form factor of PS4 comes with overhead as well. Yes it could share a similar chipset as the home version, but there would be many new components necessary for a handheld version. LCD/LED screen, battery, built in controls, camera, sensors, cooling system etc; Not sure how it would be the same MSRP as the current slim model with more/different components.

If there is a PS4 portable it makes the most sense to release after PS5. Releasing now would attempt to encroach their own market with a form factor that likely has a smaller return than their current models. 

Last edited by PortisheadBiscuit - on 01 May 2018

Conina said:
forevercloud3000 said:

But no one was skeptical that Sony can double the GPU performance of the PS4 after three years.

To put the PS4 performance in a handheld form factor with an acceptable battery life and for an affordable price is a bit more complicated.

A portable ps4 doesn't need to literally be as powerful as a ps4 to emulate what the main console is doing tho(from my understanding). Scaling with fancy tech algorithms could take care of that on lower tech.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

I think you all are also putting too much emphasis on battery life. We know the tech for batteries has stagnated but that hasn't stopped the drive for portable devices. The Switch battery life is like 3hrs....maybe. I have never had a laptop that could actually stay on for more than 45mins not plugged.

We are always near a power outlet in this day and age. My phone is virtually always plugged in.

Last edited by forevercloud3000 - on 01 May 2018

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Around the Network
forevercloud3000 said:
I think you all are also putting too much emphadid on battery life. We know the tech for batteries has stagnated but that hasn't stopped the drive for portable devices. The Switch battery life is like 3hrs....maybe. I have never had a laptop tyat could actually stay on for more than 45mins not plugged.

We are always near a power outlet in this day and age. My phone is virtually always plugged in.

My Switch's battery life is like 2 hours tops with Zelda. It's not great. Do you know how most people justify that in their mind? "It's a hybrid console". I highly doubt two hours battery life would be nearly as acceptable on a purely handheld console.

As for other examples, you need to put yourself in others shoes. *You* always buy laptops with terrible battery lives. *You* always have to have your phone plugged in. This is not the norm, and you need to recognize that. On the other hand, my boss returned his laptop because it *only* got 7 hours battery life instead of the advertised 9.

forevercloud3000 said:
Conina said:

But no one was skeptical that Sony can double the GPU performance of the PS4 after three years.

To put the PS4 performance in a handheld form factor with an acceptable battery life and for an affordable price is a bit more complicated.

A portable ps4 doesn't need to literally be as powerful as a ps4 to emulate what the main console is doing tho(from my understanding). Scaling with fancy tech algorithms could take care of that on lower tech.

Learn how console video game development works. One of the main reasons the Vita failed was because of how difficult it was to port PS3 games to it. It was supposed to be a portable PS3 that ended up playing Borderlands 2 at barely over 20 fps average. What are these magical "fancy tech algorithms" you speak of., because my team and the techs Sony sent to help with our PS3 game port to Vita certainly didn't have access to them at the time.

Please don't take my word for it. Just read through this article, and ask yourself how any of those points brought up about the port can possibly exist with "fancy tech algorithms" that apparently perform magic.

https://kotaku.com/borderlands-2-on-vita-is-the-worst-version-of-a-good-g-1575209477

HoangNhatAnh said:
bonzobanana said:

I've written previously I believe a new portable playstation system and PS5 could be incoming and would compliment each other especially if the portable system doubles up as the VR headset for the PS5.

The portable won't be PS4 power though, it would likely be in the same ballpark for CPU performance but GPU performance could be sub 800 gflops quite easily. Lower quality graphic assets and lower rendering resolution means a better portable with smaller games to fit on flash memory.

It's clear Nintendo have found a huge sector for a portable/home console hybrid and see no reason why a new portable console from Sony can't be the same and also slot into a VR visor too. It's not like Sony can just ignore what Nintendo have done they have to compete with it.

I've struggled to motivate myself to get a Switch. I only really want Mario Odyssey currently and I'm so invested already in playstation software. My fear is Sony will try to outperform the Switch by a large degree and then end up with poor battery runtime. My spec for a ps4 portable would be; 4GB, 64GB flash memory, 1080p display and about a 3x CPU performance increase over Switch and 150% increase in GPU performance for portable mode or pretty much Switch docked GPU performance but while portable. This should be able to run all ps4 games from a game logic perspective but with graphics downgraded for the more ambitious games. It will comfortably outperform the Switch.

So how big is the form factor? How long the battery will last with such power? How is it cost? What game can drive it’s sales like Pokemon/Animal Crossing and all games for children market?  

Children market. lol We dont need the childrens market.

Conina said: 

That's much too vague. Which price do you expect for a portable PS4 which is accepted by the market AND can be sold with a profit? Miniturization is costly (lowering TDP, lowering weight below 500 grams, adding a screen, adding enough battery life for a few hours).

Why should they phase out the entry model when they can use its lower price for advertizing the whole PS4 family?

400€ seems right.

In my theory, PS4 mini should be able to display the game on TV by whatsoever cable like laptops or PSVita TV can do, hence making the slim obsolete. 

contestgamer said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

So how big is the form factor? How long the battery will last with such power? How is it cost? What game can drive it’s sales like Pokemon/Animal Crossing and all games for children market?  

Children market. lol We dont need the childrens market.

Without a childrens market console gaming will die, people dont typically become gamers in their 20s/30s.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.