By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Theory/Prediction: Sony is about to reveal a Portable PS4

How Crazy am I?

You are a Gaming Nostrodomus 15 15.96%

What medication are you on? 79 84.04%

Total:94
Pemalite said:
Conina said:

View on YouTube

• it's much easier to scale up than to scale down
  • a PS4 system with the same hardware design (for 100% compatible) shrinked to 7nm would probably still need up to 50 W
  • such a shrinked 100% compatible device would still be much bigger than a Switch and need much more battery capacity
  • for a less powerful "720p PS4 handheld" EVERY PS4 game would have to be patched or reworked extensivly 

Which is why I suggest going with a new chip, rather than take an old, inefficient, power hungry design like the Playstation 4 SoC and shrinking it to 7nm.
You can still retain 100% compatibility with a newer chip design you know.

* For 720P though... If you have a 720P display, the games can still render at their original resolutions and super-sample them downwards.
I would much rather a 1080P IPS display at a minimum though. 720P is disgusting regardless of screen size.

And that's one of the reasons why I think it would be easier to make a portable or hybrid PS5, having such version included in the range since the start (or at least planned since the start even if actually launched later) would solve many problems, dev tools should take it into account and produce games that can scale seamlessly between at least two graphics levels (a third level for premium home units could be added too, and the most flexible engines could let gamers choose their favourite tradeoffs between resolution and frame rate).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/gaming/fortnite-playstation-sony-cross-platform-xbox-switch-cross-platform-play-a8516081.html?amp&utm_source=reddit.com&utm_source=reddit.com

Mr Yoshida said Sony was aware of the increasing importance of mobile gaming, adding the company needed a "growth strategy including mobile".

He added he welcomed the competition from other platforms as well as traditional gaming rivals.

"I think competition is always good. Healthy, fair competition is always good for the industry and growth," he said.

"I think competition with Nintendo and Xbox is a healthy situation."

Mobile means mobile and mobile games, not portable console. Sony already knows the importance of mobile since they have one of Japan's most popular and profitable mobile games with Fate/Grand Order.

EricHiggin said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/gaming/fortnite-playstation-sony-cross-platform-xbox-switch-cross-platform-play-a8516081.html?amp&utm_source=reddit.com&utm_source=reddit.com

Mr Yoshida said Sony was aware of the increasing importance of mobile gaming, adding the company needed a "growth strategy including mobile".

He added he welcomed the competition from other platforms as well as traditional gaming rivals.

"I think competition is always good. Healthy, fair competition is always good for the industry and growth," he said.

"I think competition with Nintendo and Xbox is a healthy situation."

Well there is only one Division in Sony that is growing, hopefully Mr. Yoshida can see the clear and obvious path to growing their Mobile business.

Their IFA conference didn't provide much hope though. The hole thing was how can we connect to our consumers past the point of sale? Here is this Google device with Google Music, Google Movies and TV, Amazon Music, Amazon Video, and Netflix. No mention of PlayStation Vue, PlayStation Video, or PlayStation Now. Well, ya sure as shit won't be connecting to your users after point of sale if you put them on another companies OS and direct them to competing services. 

If 5G, Solid State Batteries, M.2 Storage, and Ryzen Mobile is not the biggest oppertunity to shake things up in the mobile industry, I don't know what is. Between that and the success of PS4 and PSN, there is no blaring horn louder, and no flashing light brighter, the answer is right in front of their face. Now will they see and hear it?

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:

If 5G, Solid State Batteries, M.2 Storage, and Ryzen Mobile is not the biggest oppertunity to shake things up in the mobile industry, I don't know what is. Between that and the success of PS4 and PSN, there is no blaring horn louder, and no flashing light brighter, the answer is right in front of their face. Now will they see and hear it?

So when do you expect solid-state batteries for mobile devices?

Around the Network
Conina said:
KBG29 said:

So when do you expect solid-state batteries for mobile devices?

I think we will see a Phone with a Solid State Battery at CES 2019. Not from a major player, but some Start up, or Chinese brand. Then I think Samsung will introduce it in a Galaxy model by CES 2020. Apple will probably be behind them by another year or two. Sony should have a couple of year window to release in the early 2020's. Ideally I would love to see a PS5 and PS5 Portable launch simultaneously, but a Portable may have to drop a year or two later. AMD has been on a nm, nm+  cadence, so perhapps Home devices fall on the nm fab, with mobiles being built on the nm+ fab.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Solid State batteries are still years off. Right now Volkswagen is planning a trial production of solid state batteries for 2024. That hasn't anything to do with mass production, let alone with cheap batteries. This stuff will be crazy expensive in the beginning. So unless some miracle happens, we will not see a portable PS5 with a solid state battery. Maybe a PS6. But just maybe.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

OdinHades said:
Solid State batteries are still years off. Right now Volkswagen is planning a trial production of solid state batteries for 2024. That hasn't anything to do with mass production, let alone with cheap batteries. This stuff will be crazy expensive in the beginning. So unless some miracle happens, we will not see a portable PS5 with a solid state battery. Maybe a PS6. But just maybe.

As far as I understand Cars will come after electronics. It is a mixed bag, with each company having different target dates, but most of the articles I've read have small electronics coming in the next 1 - 3 years. 

Fisker is claiming that there SSB's will be cheaper to produce than current batteries, and they are looking at going into product of Phine batteries by the end of the year or during 2019.

That is why I think we will see some random Phone at CES sporting an SSB.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Sony is already a big mobile player. They have one of the biggest mobile games in the world

A new portable for regular games and ps now/streaming console that can be connected to TV would put sony in a position to combat both the switch and the rumble of the scarlet device for streaming games while ps5 would follow its hardcore market.