By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo removes DKC Tropical Freeze from Wii U eshop

chakkra said:

I can't believe there were people actually defending this.

And yes, I know it is supposed to be a mistake now, but the fact that there were people who were quick to defend this is mind boggling.

And the Switch port shouldn't even be full price in the first place.

I think that people here are overreacting. I would have called Nintendo of America out on this but the WiiU is a dead console anyways. It's not going to hurt the people who completely abandoned their WiiU. Although this is a really strange thing to do. 

Around the Network
xl-klaudkil said:
And thats why digital only will suck!

Indeed.  QFT.

Lube Me Up

Not good for those who never picked it up on WiiU and were planning to.

It should be releasing at $40 max.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Rocketjay8 said:
chakkra said:

I can't believe there were people actually defending this.

And yes, I know it is supposed to be a mistake now, but the fact that there were people who were quick to defend this is mind boggling.

And the Switch port shouldn't even be full price in the first place.

I think that people here are overreacting. I would have called Nintendo of America out on this but the WiiU is a dead console anyways. It's not going to hurt the people who completely abandoned their WiiU. Although this is a really strange thing to do. 

The Wii U may have been officially discontinued by Nintendo but that doesn't mean that the 13.5m people who bought it just decided to throw theirs out in the garbage.

I mean, according to VGC almost 200,000 physical copies of games have been sold this year so far on the Wii U.  That means many people are still using them.

And this type of behavior is something that we should not be applauding ANY COMPANY for doing it. So no, I do not think that this was an overreaction, I think this was just the right amount of reaction.

chakkra said:
Rocketjay8 said:

The Wii U may have been officially discontinued by Nintendo but that doesn't mean that the 13.5m people who bought it just decided to throw theirs out in the garbage.

I mean, according to VGC almost 200,000 physical copies of games have been sold this year so far on the Wii U.  That means many people are still using them.

And this type of behavior is something that we should not be applauding ANY COMPANY for doing it. So no, I do not think that this was an overreaction, I think this was just the right amount of reaction.

When have I ever said that we should applaud them for this? I mean, I agree that DKTF is way too expensive for what it is asking for especially when I have a physical WiiU version. But It's not like they are forced to buy the switch version right away. They can either wait for a price drop on the switch. OR they can just buy a physical WiiU version used for a cheap price.

Around the Network
Ulternia said:
V-r0cK said:

If that's the case then PSN and should start closing up shops with their PS3 games. 

Regardless of consoles and physical games stopped production but it cost almost nothing to keep a game on sale online.  In fact it probably cost Nintendo absolutely nothing leaving their own game up on their own store lol.

Personally I couldn't care less about this game, if I wanted this game I would've picked it up awhile ago. I just think it would've been courteous of Nintendo to at least give a proper notice that's all.

I don’t disagree that it would have been the courteous thing to do. My argument was that the outrage over a four year old title being removed from a dead console’s eShop is exaggerated. We knew it was coming at some point and there is almost no user base on the Wii U at this point. The people that wanted DKCTF on Wii U already have it and Nintendo shouldn’t have to undercut a port just because some people may or may not want to download it on the Wii U in the future. I would feel the same if any company did that - videogames hold no intrinsic value so the publisher has a duty to maintain a strong price point.

I didn’t mean to make that first post seem pointed towards you and for that I apologize.

No need to apologize your points are very valid :) 

And I do agree that this was bound to happen and those that are overreacting shouldn't.

Luckily for me I can still find this game brand new on Amazon (Canada) for $25 :D  ...but again if i really wanted this I would've picked it up by now like everyone else should've lol

V-r0cK said:
Ulternia said:

I think there was enough of an advanced notice. They stopped production of the Wii U, discontinued physical copies a year ago and announced a different version for a new console almost two months ago. There’s no reason it needs to be up for sale for the Wii U at this point.

If that's the case then PSN and should start closing up shops with their PS3 games. 

Regardless of consoles and physical games stopped production but it cost almost nothing to keep a game on sale online.  In fact it probably cost Nintendo absolutely nothing leaving their own game up on their own store lol.

Personally I couldn't care less about this game, if I wanted this game I would've picked it up awhile ago. I just think it would've been courteous of Nintendo to at least give a proper notice that's all.

Even worse, they could shut down the online servers for a game that was just released this gen (a year ago).  Oh wait, they are already doing that.

V

Mar1217 said:
Well, it's back ! Guess the tantrum from these 50 WiiU owners worked ...

(If only it could with Mother 3 too ...)

Let’s see if the demand really was there. The number of people complaining online would be more than enough to push Tropical Freeze to the top of the Wii U eShop charts for at least the month of May. How much do you want to bet it doesn’t happen?

chakkra said:
Rocketjay8 said:

I believe the argument was that it doesn’t need to be defended. The consumer should not be rewarded for being lazy and not adopting a title until they could undercut its newest port at Retro’s expense. The people claiming outrage are even more transparent - the game has been around for four years, the physical is still available for $20 (or less), the digital is available through other retailers, etc. Nintendo just didn’t want to continue selling a lower cost version of a brand new port which is just good business acumen.

Mandalore76 said:
V-r0cK said:

Even worse, they could shut down the online servers for a game that was just released this gen (a year ago).  Oh wait, they are already doing that.

Games and servers close down for their own business reasons and its never good news for the consumers, but did they at least announce it well in advance? :P

If you're talking about Gravity Rush 2 then yes they did announce.  And with that notification, GR2 players are given time to utilize what they need to do online.

That's all I'm really saying about the situation.

It's not like Nintendo will ever be punished for this since almost all Switch owners don't even realize most of worthy games on Switch are direct more expensive Wii U ports.