By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Hard evidence that digital distribution is slowly taking over for physical copies.

The power of convenience.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
thismeintiel said:

Very true. There's also cases where some regions only get a digital release, but others get a physical one. Just going by the first page of PSN games, I believe Little Miss Academia is only getting a digital release in the states, where it's both in Japan. Owlboy is also listed as PSN game, but it also has a physical release. 

What the fuck, Little Witch Academia isn't getting a physical release here? That sucks.

Can't find it on Gamestop. In Japan they also got a Collector's Edition. 

Like I said in my edit, I'm pretty sure Sony is including any and all full releases. 

Mar1217 said:
VGPolyglot said:

I am so adamant on physical copies that I don't buy DLC, games that are digital-only, etc. The only exceptions are when I get those gift cards as a present, since I can't really use them for anything else

I admit that I might be not as hardcore like you are. I bought some digital games back when I thought they would never get a physical copy :P

Though, I'll be more vigilant next time !

(Maybe except some DLC like BOTW ... :3)

Ah, I'm more hardcore than you I guess I would flat-out refuse to get a game if it was digital only, or would import it (like with Corpse Party for the PSP and Resident Evil HD for the PS3, though those were eventually released here on other consoles...)

Mar1217 said:
VGPolyglot said:

Ah, I'm more hardcore than you I guess I would flat-out refuse to get a game if it was digital only, or would import it (like with Corpse Party for the PSP and Resident Evil HD for the PS3, though those were eventually released here on other consoles...)

Man ... if only you knew about the 3DS re-release of it back then :D

That was before it was announced.

No point in buying physical unless it's on Nintendo. Physical copies on the Switch run as soon as you put them in the Switch with a few updates, but on Xbox and PS4 the disc is just a license, the game doesn't run off the disc, you have to download the full game, and keep the disc inside to play, complete inconvenience when you can just buy digital and ignore having to put a new disc in every time you want to play a different game.

Around the Network
TheBird said:
No point in buying physical unless it's on Nintendo. Physical copies on the Switch run as soon as you put them in the Switch with a few updates, but on Xbox and PS4 the disc is just a license, the game doesn't run off the disc, you have to download the full game, and keep the disc inside to play, complete inconvenience when you can just buy digital and ignore having to put a new disc in every time you want to play a different game.

I think the game still installs from the disc, so it doesn't necessarily download it. I do think that there are pros and cons, the pros is that the disc tray will last longer, the con is that you run out of hard drive space more quickly than say for the Switch. However, even if disc swapping is a minor inconvenience, it's one I'm willing to put up with, I love just admiring and looking at the game cases personally, reading through the back of the case (and if there is one the manual) along with smelling that new game smell!

Hiku said:
flashfire926 said:

Now, we have numbers from the platform holder itself. In FY 2015, 19% of software sold on PS4 was via digital distribution. In just two years, that number has increased to 32% for FY 2017. That's a significant change in such a short time.

Games you get for free with PS+ count as a sale. (You get a confirmation e-mail saying "Thank you for your purchase".)
As the PS4 userbase grows, so do the number of PS+ subscriptions. I'm not saying this accounts for everything, but it should be a factor. A few games a month can add up to quite a lot, considering a few years ago I believe the average system owner bought c.a. 5 games in the console's lifetime. But when game's are free, there's another incentive there.

Aside from more people preferring digital more often, which is also a factor, that also means there are more people who buy some of their games both physically and digitally. Me for example after playing Nier: Automata digitally decided to buy a physical copy of it because I loved it so much.

Soon enough, physical copies of games will become obsolete.

Not any time soon. You can look at the music industry for example, where the primary way to listen to music is digitally, and yet they still make tons of money on physical music album sales.

Good point there. However, as earlier discussed in the thread, Sony doesn't count most digital-only games in that ratio.

For example: Lets make up a random month for PS+. Lets say Bloodborne and Firewatch are on PS+ free games. Bloodborne would get counted, but not Firewatch.

Anyways, good point, PS+ free games that are physically available would count towards the total then, supposedly.

As for the last part, here's the thing: I actually think we are going to lose the disc drive from console in 10-15 years. May just be a hunch, of course. Developing countries have that have less-than-average internet connections, will of course be a factor in pushing that back, perhaps to 15-20 years. But I'm heavily doubt that Fifa 40 will ever come out on a disc. 

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

I would say in 20 years time your going to have a digital only market of 75% and a physical market of 25% when it comes to "existing customers". There will be plenty of developing nations in 20 years that will be reliant on physical media and the countries who show gaming promise, could very well end up loyal to whichever brand(s) still offer physical copies at that point in time. Depends on the companies and their future business model and whether or not they really want to grow in numbers and not just dollars.

Physical in 20 years time could also look very different than it does now. Just imagine all physical games from all companies are cartridge based, using advanced tech, being produced in present worldwide optical disc quantities. Something like this could push back digital only even further into the future, since the price for physical could be the same or less than it is now, a few years down the road, plus no need for a bulky, expensive, optical drive inside every console.

CuCabeludo said:

Today when you buy a game physical, put the disc on and discover you need to download 5GB+ day 1 patch is definitively pushing people towards digital.

This is it, really. On PS4, I'm having a hard time justifying buying physical when it really seems to not actually do anything for me. I bought FF15 physically and it still eats 80GB of my harddrive. That's just ridiculous.

For Switch, I haven't encountered that problem at all, and I don't have to download gigantic patches that take half an hour whenever I want to start playing my new game (and I have a really fast connection), so I'm much more inclined to buy physical there.

The reason Digital is taking over from Physical is because console manufacturers at large have gone out of their way to make Physical extremely undesirable with little advantages, despite it clearly being the consumer-preferred choice.

Shadow1980 said:
Does that include games that are only available digitally (e.g., indie titles and F2P games) as well as bundled software?

Personally, I think that, given the current state of IP law, digital is a fool's bargain. I've never bought a $60 game digitally, and since 2010 the only new titles I've downloaded were Perfect Dark HD, Mega Man 10, Blaster Master Zero, and (regretfully since a physical release was announced two days after I downloaded it) Sonic Mania. That's it.

The OP seems to think it's just games that get a physical and digital release. However, I highly doubt that. He's using the labels on PSN for proof. However, that doesn't explain games that get a digital release in some regions, but both types in another. Or games that release digitally and shortly after get a physical release, as they stay labeled as PSN games. 

If you look at the actual numbers, that doesn't make sense, either. They report having sold through 640M units of SW, without add-on content included. This is all SW. If you add up the combined FYs for "Full" games shown it equals to 623.5M. For FY 13 and 14 they reported 384M and 460M, respectively. Of course, they were also combining the PS3 and PS4 at the time. But, if we say that the PS4 was responsible for 1/4 of the sales for FY13 and 1/3 for FY14 (my guess it's probably more like 1/2), that brings our total to 871.5M, or a gap of 231.5M. Even considering that would include digital sales for retail games in his scenario, that's a lot of unsold SW sitting on shelves. I think it's safe to assume that the numbers include digital only games, too.