By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Hard evidence that digital distribution is slowly taking over for physical copies.

Good point. Tech websites have been saying that for some time but this confirms it completely.

With now even boxed games requiring an install, the importance of physical products has decreased. Still, with the possibility to resell packaged games, at some point the progression of digital will stall. If Sony & MS could do a bonus system or decrease the price of digital games, non-physical games could rise even more quickly.

I think that ultimately, packaged games could only serve for collector's editions with goodies, CDs and stuff. Also, the time will come for digital-only systems. A PS4 portable that can run digital version of AA games would be great. PSPGo was the right idea but it came ahead of its time.

Around the Network

I only buy digital when there are sales. For new games, I see no reason to go digital. I can get most new games for about 25% less than the digital version on day 1 of its release. Digital games always cost the MSRP for months before any kind of reduction, whereas stores compete with each other to offer the game at the lower price possible. Not only that, but physical games drop in price fast, so for a game that I'm only mildly interested in, it's more interesting to wait a few weeks before picking up a physical version of it for half the price of the digital version.

In fact, I only get digital games months if not years after their release and after they get really good price cut.

Most physical games these days are only two third physical anyways since you have to download one third of the game (patches, DLC, season passes...)

And if you sell the physical disc you can't sell the DLCs and season passes with it. They are still in your account (useless without the main game), which lowers the price you get for the disc. In most cases selling the used disc isn't worth the hassle.