By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What will be 2018's disappointing AAA games?

What game will be the most disappointing in 2018?

Shenmue III 23 27.38%

Crackdown 3 24 28.57%

Red Dead Redemption 2 1 1.19%

Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 17 20.24%

Battlefield V 1 1.19%

Spider-Man 5 5.95%

Super Smash Bros. for Switch 4 4.76%

Detroit: Become Human 6 7.14%

Kingdom Hearts 3 0 0%

Other 3 3.57%

Total:84

oh mass effect andromeda...

why did they ruin the dialogue choices? why? how could they simplify mass effect that way? i’ll never get over it. way to go, bioware/ea.

OT: an easy choice is sea of thieves, though i could see that game improving a lot in the length of it’s life. i’m guessing spider man won’t be as good as people hope. crackdown 3 probably won’t be that good either, but do people really expect it to be? detroit: become human i also don’t see as quite reaching people’s expectations.

Last edited by Thechalkblock - on 01 May 2018

Around the Network

Either Shenmue or KH3. Any time you have a franchise that has gone dormant for years and which is beloved by the masses, you're ripe for a let down.

Seventizz said:

Shenume III easily. I feel many people are falling for marketing now with little knowledge of the franchise. But once they play it and if the new addition follows the series gameplay wise, they're in for a rude awakening. Shenume has inspired many a YouTube playthrough where they make fun of the game - relentlessly.

At least Sea of Thieves is fun - Shenume is not.

Shenmue was fun when it came out, which is why it was almost considered a perfect game at the time. You can't retro-review things and be taken seriously. Take a look at the reviews for Shenmue when it launched and you'll get an idea of just how far off base you are.

AlfredoTurkey said:
Either Shenmue or KH3. Any time you have a franchise that has gone dormant for years and which is beloved by the masses, you're ripe for a let down.

KH dormant? lol 

Keybladewielder said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

KH dormant? lol 

Yes, I'd say 12 years (KH2) qualifies as dormant. We've been waiting for part three for more than a decade lol.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
Keybladewielder said:

KH dormant? lol 

Yes, I'd say 12 years (KH2) qualifies as dormant. We've been waiting for part three for more than a decade lol.

There have been many, many KH games since KH2, and all of them are as mainline as KH2 is.

Edit: In fact, the team that is working on KH3 is the same team that worked on a few of those titles.

Manlytears said:
No SoT in the list?
Bandorr said:
Lets see.

Even if Super Smash Bros is just a wii U/3ds port - it won't bomb.
I'm not even sure Crackdown 3 will come out this year. Although if it does, based on last year - that could be your winner.

Also why isn't Sea of thieves on the list? I doubt anyone was actually expecting a such a low-reviewing game.

Read the OP. He already acknowledge that it was a disappointment

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Keybladewielder said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

There have been many, many KH games since KH2, and all of them are as mainline as KH2 is.

Edit: In fact, the team that is working on KH3 is the same team that worked on a few of those titles.

The point is, we've been waiting 12 years for part three. That's forever.

pokoko said:
Mnementh said:

I agree that is a difference. But that's not what you were saying. You said people were criticizing it for being too cinematic. That in general is a critic that is fine. People expect different things from games, some want cinematics, some want gameplay. For the second group a cinematic game might be a subpar experience. For the first group a Mario might be a subpar experience.

Also these people that are declaring the game shouldn't be made (for either game, Mario or Detroit) are how many? Ten, Twenty? OK, worldwide it may even be a few hundred. I doubt they influence the general feeling much. They don't invalidate the line of criticism. Only the demand to not making the game goes too far. And these are existing for every game.

No, I did not.  I said the ""omg it's not a game it's a movie" crowd who cannot stand the idea that others might like something they do not."

If someone said they "don't like people who are thieves," would you reply with, "you don't like people?!"

You ignoring my point. There might be a few that are like you describe them, but they are in the minority. I agree these suck. But these guys exist for every game and for every line of criticism. That doesn't invalidate this specific criticism.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
pokoko said:

No, I did not.  I said the ""omg it's not a game it's a movie" crowd who cannot stand the idea that others might like something they do not."

If someone said they "don't like people who are thieves," would you reply with, "you don't like people?!"

You ignoring my point. There might be a few that are like you describe them, but they are in the minority. I agree these suck. But these guys exist for every game and for every line of criticism. That doesn't invalidate this specific criticism.

Ignoring your point?  The very first line of your post misconstrued what I said.  Regardless, it does not matter if they are in the minority, that doesn't invalidate my point in the slightest.