By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Shadow of the Tomb Raider handled by Nixxes Software, will collaborate with NVIDIA

GOWTLOZ said:
No Gameworks hopefully, FF XV ran like trash with Gameworks on my 1050 laptop.

You know the tech like hairworks and higher res shadows were designed for high end hw in mind and not low end right?.

I mean, expecting to run a game like XV with gameworks enabled settings on a laptop, and it running very well on a laptop GPU just seems awfully silly.

Gameworks tech works fine on my setup, as it also did with Dying Light and Metro 2033/Last Light.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
Chazore said:
GOWTLOZ said:
No Gameworks hopefully, FF XV ran like trash with Gameworks on my 1050 laptop.

You know the tech like hairworks and higher res shadows were designed for high end hw in mind and not low end right?.

I mean, expecting to run a game like XV with gameworks enabled settings on a laptop, and it running very well on a laptop GPU just seems awfully silly.

Gameworks tech works fine on my setup, as it also did with Dying Light and Metro 2033/Last Light.

The games don't need Gameworks to look good. Rise of the Tomb Raider looks amazing on my laptop.

fatslob-:O said:
Darc Requiem said:

Nvidia blackmailed their AIBs and co-opted their gaming brands. There is plenty wrong with that. It's illegal.

Their AIBs can still sell AMD cards ... 

Who cares about the "gaming brand" ?

Nvidia clearly and with good reason. The bulk of graphic cards are bought from gaming labeled product lines. The average consumer, frankly doesn't know any better. If it didn't matter Nvidia wouldn't be doing it.

GOWTLOZ said:

The games don't need Gameworks to look good. Rise of the Tomb Raider looks amazing on my laptop.

Some of us like Nvidia's tech, like HBAO+, PCSS and PhysX.

Just because it looks amazing on your laptop doesn't mean they should drop all their tech.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

shikamaru317 said:

The tech is cool, especially PhysX, PCSS, and HBAO+ (I personally prefer TressFX to HairWorks). The problem I have with it is that Nvidia designs the tech to run poorly on AMD cards, which also hurts the consoles since they use AMD hardware, and the devs are often too lazy to implement similar, open source techniques just for the console version. For instance, I have a bad feeling that Borderlands 3 is going to have badly gimped physics effects on Xbox One and PS4, due to a likely use of PhysX on PC, same as the earlier Borderlands games. 

I just hope Lara's hair is still using TressFX instead of HairWorks, it would really suck to see her hair downgraded compared to Rise of the Tomb Raider on consoles.

I'm aware that they do, but at the same time I'm an Nvidia GPU user, so I don't really fall under the pitfalls of being a full AMD CPU/GPU user.

You also have to realize that while this happens between Nvidia and AMD, there are games that have run fine on consoles and run like utter garbage on PC. Games as well that have worked well for AMD, but ran crap for Nvidia. if it ain't fair for one side, it isn't for the other. Both have their issues to sort out and as they are their own company, no one really controls what they can/cannot do.

Nvidia partnered games often aim to show and do their best for Nvidia's cards, rather than putting aside a large chunk of money to make it so it works exactly the same for their competitor's cards (Why would any competing business would do that is beyond me). You also have to note that current gen systems (besides the Switch) aren't sporting Nvidia GPU's, so I do not really see as to why they should take a hand out of their pocket to make a piece of tech that can work with the consoles.

I honestly think PhysX is great, and we do need more physical interaction technologies going forward. Though for the time being, it seems Nvidia is pushing that front more so than AMD.

Well, considering they are partnered with Nvidia, it's very likely to be using hairworks, rather than TressFX. The game will still look good on all platforms, but those with Nvidia cards will have access to more options, thanks to the partnership. 

Around the Network
Chazore said:
GOWTLOZ said:

Some of us like Nvidia's tech, like HBAO+, PCSS and PhysX.

Just because it looks amazing on your laptop doesn't mean they should drop all their tech.

I have a GTX 1050 on my laptop so Nvidia tech isn't a problem in and of itself. Their tech just feels bloated and waste of GPU resources and its terrible for AMD GPU's while AMD tech is supported well on all GPU's so I'd rather see a collaboration with AMD.

Nvidia has terrible business practices which makes such collaborations a detriment to the PC gaming market.

GOWTLOZ said:

I have a GTX 1050 on my laptop so Nvidia tech isn't a problem in and of itself. Their tech just feels bloated and waste of GPU resources and its terrible for AMD GPU's while AMD tech is supported well on all GPU's so I'd rather see a collaboration with AMD.

Nvidia has terrible business practices which makes such collaborations a detriment to the PC gaming market.

It depends on who's running what for it to be considered bloated.

I run Nvidia's HBAO+ and in FF XV I run their VXAO and prefer it to the default shadow settings. I don't really consider those being bloated tech. I find hairworks at times to being rather sluggish, in that Nvidia still need to refine that side of their tech a bit more. 

I'd rather see more tech from Nvidia's side tbh, since AMD's can be just as much of a gamble, and not always beneficial for Nvidia's side either. 

AMD's deals have quite often led to AMD sponsored games running bad on Nvidia hardware. I know some of you on here value AMD, but not everything is roses and sunshine. 

Chazore said:
GOWTLOZ said:

It depends on who's running what for it to be considered bloated.

I run Nvidia's HBAO+ and in FF XV I run their VXAO and prefer it to the default shadow settings. I don't really consider those being bloated tech. I find hairworks at times to being rather sluggish, in that Nvidia still need to refine that side of their tech a bit more. 

I'd rather see more tech from Nvidia's side tbh, since AMD's can be just as much of a gamble, and not always beneficial for Nvidia's side either. 

AMD's deals have quite often led to AMD sponsored games running bad on Nvidia hardware. I know some of you on here value AMD, but not everything is roses and sunshine. 

I was talking of gameworks moreso than their ambient occlusion techniques, I know they have some of the best technologies available.

As for AMD technologies being a gamble Tomb Raider and Rise of the Tomb Raider were partnered with AMD and ran amazingly well on Nvidia hardware like my laptop. AMD technologies are open sourced which allows devs to optimise them for all graphics cards.

Some AMD games might not have worked well with Nvidia GPU because of the devs failing to optimise, not because it was an AMD partnered game.

GOWTLOZ said:

I was talking of gameworks moreso than their ambient occlusion techniques, I know they have some of the best technologies available.

As for AMD technologies being a gamble Tomb Raider and Rise of the Tomb Raider were partnered with AMD and ran amazingly well on Nvidia hardware like my laptop. AMD technologies are open sourced which allows devs to optimise them for all graphics cards.

Some AMD games might not have worked well with Nvidia GPU because of the devs failing to optimise, not because it was an AMD partnered game.

Their Ao techniques are also included as part of their GW side of things. GW isn't just solely related to Hairworks and water physics.

Yes, and other AMD sponsored games ended up running not so great on Nvidia hardware, like Wolfenstein 2 and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

I fail to see how we're able to excuse one GPU company from virtually all and any fault, but not the other. That's bias if anything. 

Chazore said:
GOWTLOZ said:

Their Ao techniques are also included as part of their GW side of things. GW isn't just solely related to Hairworks and water physics.

Yes, and other AMD sponsored games ended up running not so great on Nvidia hardware, like Wolfenstein 2 and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

I fail to see how we're able to excuse one GPU company from virtually all and any fault, but not the other. That's bias if anything. 

AMD techniques are open sourced so if it doesn't run well on Nvidia GPU its the developer's fault for not optimising.

Nvidia gameworks is close sourced and can't be optimised for AMD GPU's. Big difference.