By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Question for GT Sport players

I'm currently playing through GT3 again on my PS2 and enjoying the hell out of it and was wondering how GT Sport compares. For those of you who own it and play it a lot, would someone who likes the older GT titles get enjoyment out of it? How does it compare to the old games? Will I be disappointed with lack of offline content? I don't have PS Plus, so playing online isn't an option. 

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:

I'm currently playing through GT3 again on my PS2 and enjoying the hell out of it and was wondering how GT Sport compares. For those of you who own it and play it a lot, would someone who likes the older GT titles get enjoyment out of it? How does it compare to the old games? Will I be disappointed with lack of offline content? I don't have PS Plus, so playing online isn't an option. 

Imho GT Sport is the best GT game since GT4. It’s much more realistic than GT5, more fun than GT6 and incredibly beautiful. The A.I. Is much better too. They’ve patched in a second, traditional campaign so the game has easily 40 hours of offline content, if not more. They also keep continuously updating it since release, so more tracks, weather etc. will come. The game already has more cars than it needs.

Game is a joy to play without a wheel. Well worth the 30-40 bucks it costs atm.

You will need PS+ though. Get it...it’s really worth it, even if you don’t play online...which you should.

Last edited by Errorist76 - on 26 April 2018

John2290 said:
It's good but if you are looking for single player then stick to GT3, in fact I'd say only buy GT sport if you have VR and it's on sale, I've had a ton of fun racing online in sport mode (ranked), doing the driver school and racing AI in VR tour but it's definitely not a game for single player racing gamers. If you have a wheel and want a good racer grab Project CARS (Not the second one, the first) or if you don't have a wheel stick to GT3 because you aren't going to get better on the PS4.

How can’t you recommend pCARS2 for offline content? It’s buggy, unfinished and has a much worse single player campaign than GT Sport.

It’s also much worse to play without a wheel.

I have 84 hours into it so far, and continue to hop on a couple times a week. I only play in VR now, but spent about 30 hours in the TV based mode. For me, this is the first major step froward for the series since GT4. There is far more single player content in this game than any of the past GT games, with the only current draw back being a limited number of tracks. That said, new tracks are being added at about one a month, and the tracks currently available already offer months and months of enjoyment.

I still have many cars I am looking forward to buying or winning, and we have been getting about 12 new cars a month, so I will be playing this game for a long, long time to come. Well worth it if you ask me.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

John2290 said:
Errorist76 said:

How can’t you recommend pCARS2 for offline content? It’s buggy, unfinished and has a much worse single player campaign than GT Sport.

It’s also much worse to play without a wheel.

Not  Project CARS 2. I suggested the original Project CARS with a wheel, after the patches it easily became the best single player sim racer on console with one hell of a choice based and rewarding career mode, start anywhere you set the goals or stick to the predetermined path and there is no limits, having the full dlc pack and all the free cars is the cherry on top of a fine racer. Even the second game could not eclipse the first, more cars yeah, more tracks, better graphics it all didn't add up to the amazing sim racing sandbox that was Project CARS. You must not have given ProCARS a chance, it's single player is as awesome as you, yourself make it. I'm on trophy away from the Platinum and at well near 200 hours in single player and half that again online I can say it's the best racing experience the the 8th gen has to offer for sim racers. Maybe ProCARS 2 opens up but the updated physics engine just didn't vibe with my wheel and I'd rather have had them leave it an open sandbox like the first and not lock content away for progressions sake, and that campaign looked nowhere as good as the firsts calander system. 

If I misunderstood and you are asking why I would suggest ProCARS over GT sport then the answer is fairly simple. It's always online, the racers online are assholes most of the time and your driver level can drop because of others mistakes, even in lobbies they just wait for you pop in and put the car in autopilot to earn money. The tacked on single player mode is akin to something from the PS1. The game just isn't designed with single player in mind and that's a shame, since the OP mentioned GT3 (my favourite GT) I'd assume he'd feel the same way as me and if he has a wheel then ProCARS will suit him much better than anything else I can think of on ps4 right now. GT sport is a let down on all fronts, don't get me wrong though, I think the game is good but it's just that good. I'm not into sitting in a menu for anywhere up to 15 minutes to get into the real racing experience of Sport mode and that is the biggest complaint I have. 

The only other game I can recommend it Dirt Rally but I haven't had much time on with the DS4 instead of the wheel, so I can't be sure it'd hold up. Possibly dirt 4 as that works really well with the controller but the game is kinda shoddy imo.

What would you suggest to the OP?

pCARS's physics alone will make me never tough this game again, and I'm one of the original backers..but to each their own.

Imho GT Sport is far superior to pCARS and pCARS2 is superior to pCARS1, especially physics wise.

I already suggested him to get the GT Sport. It's the best and most fun racing game (next to Wipeout VR and Dirt Rally) I've played in a long time.

Last edited by Errorist76 - on 26 April 2018

Around the Network

To say I play it a lot is an understatement

Distinct Days Game Access 185
Sport Mode Completed Races 2558 (2563*)
Sport Mode Performances 46,313 (in the Top 1%)
Sport Mode Sportmanship (SR)99/99
Sport Mode Wins 242
Sport Mode Consecutive Clean Races 16
Sport Mode Pole Position 172
Sport Mode Fastest Laps 185
Campaign School 100 %
Campaign Circuit 100 %
Campaign Mission 100 %
Car(s) 382
Car(s) bought 165
Credits earned 198,511,970
Mi earned 647,641
Xp Level50 | 100% (651257 pts)
Distance driven 118,229.904 Km
Time driven 30 days, 1 hours, 27 min and 41 s.
Profile iD1495257 (Link to Official)
Followers 66

Sport mode really is the star of the game though. It's well worth getting ps+ for. I've been playing sport mode races every night since release.

The offline content is beefy with the added GT League events. The AI isn't bad yet once you've raced well matched human players you don't want to go back. I have not played the added GT League events since reaching level 50, Sport mode is much more fun. Offline it's still the same handicap yourself to get a challenge, while anything but a win feels a waste of time. Online it's the opposite, it doesn't take long before the ranking system puts you with competitive players and a close 6 lap battle for 12th place is hundred times better than winning race after race against the AI. 

VR is a nice addition yet since there's only time trial I don't play it much.

There are plenty cars and more are added each month including a new track or new variation. It handles great with a DS4 (I don't have a wheel), most fun to drive of all the racing games I have played including previous GT games.

Oh and it looks amazing in 4K HDR, runs perfectly. GT4 was fun yet the screen tearing and dropping to half vertical resolution didn't do it any favors. GT6 remains king for content for now yet the online servers were shut down about a month ago. Tons of content there anyway.

I'll keep playing Sport mode as long as the race combinations remain fun, plenty to race online with all the different car groups.

GTS is a great game and there is plenty of SP content, but of course it doesn`t get to the same amount of time as GT3. But the quality of the driving is superb.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

John2290 said:
KBG29 said:
I have 84 hours into it so far, and continue to hop on a couple times a week. I only play in VR now, but spent about 30 hours in the TV based mode. For me, this is the first major step froward for the series since GT4. There is far more single player content in this game than any of the past GT games, with the only current draw back being a limited number of tracks. That said, new tracks are being added at about one a month, and the tracks currently available already offer months and months of enjoyment.

I still have many cars I am looking forward to buying or winning, and we have been getting about 12 new cars a month, so I will be playing this game for a long, long time to come. Well worth it if you ask me.

That's not true, GT4 eclipses it on all fronts concerning single player, haven't played GT6 but I hear that was the game that took 5 and made it the game it was supposed to be.

I would have to disagree and say that GT5 have much more SP content than GT4 and GT6, even if we were only considering the 24h races that on GT5 didn`t had the option to make bots play and fast speed mode.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

John2290 said:
DonFerrari said:

I would have to disagree and say that GT5 have much more SP content than GT4 and GT6, even if we were only considering the 24h races that on GT5 didn`t had the option to make bots play and fast speed mode.

Hmm, that's odd. I thought the career in GT5 was lacking drastically compared to GT4 and even GT3, I was really surprised how bare it was back on release. I only played first month or so though, was there DLC or something? 

No DLC, but I have put at least 650h on the SP of GT5 and didn't even finished the 24h races...

GT6 is the one that is very low on SP content.

For me GT3 was all about trying to master Nurnburgring, perfect my laptime as much as possible. I loved the S Vettel challenge in GT5 with the GT monstercar, and especially Nurnburgring.

I had stopped playing GT for a long time but with GT Sport what I discovered is that the sensation of driving is superb. It feels right. Absolutely amazing. I drive with Thrustmaster wheel, but also with the controller when I am lazy and do not want to set up the wheel. I find that even with standard controller the feel is good.

So if you are looking for events, you will find GT sport to have quite similar content as past incarnations, what I miss is the GT5 story challenges. 

If you just want to race your knuckles white on Nurnburgring ans some other awesome locations, GTSport is simply the best. 

I have yet to test the online.