By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Quarterly Results, Hardware + Software

Holy Mother of Moses! (And I'm not even Jewish!)

So, Switch ended up shipping 15.05 million units for its first full fiscal year. Very impressive first year.
If it can maintain its momentum and capitalize with key 1st party titles (Smash Bros. won't be enough) then it has a good chance to hit that 20 million goal Nintendo set for it.

As for software:

Super Mario Odyssey: About what I expected, this should become the best selling 3D Mario game by the end of the year.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: The wheels of Mario Kart never cease to amaze me! This game has officially outsold its original Wii U counterpart and is fast on its way to becoming the best selling Nintendo Switch game. Honestly, I wouldn't even be surprised if this game cracks 20 million and reaches the levels of Mario Kart DS. After this, I never want to hear anyone say "people don't want ports" or "ports don't sell systems" ever again.

Breath of the Wild: And with this, counting the Wii U version; It! Is! Official!
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the best selling Zelda game of all time!!!
And most likely the first Zelda game in history to reach 10 million depending on what the numbers for the Wii U version are! An absolutely incredible achievement and moment for Nintendo and the Zelda series! One that is very well deserved!

Splatoon 2: Another game that continues to amaze me with its tentacles! Who would have thought that 6 million for the sequel would be possible 3 years ago before the first game was even out on a dead console? I can personally see this game legging it out to 10 million and more depending on future DLC content and whenever they release Splatoon 3. Congrats, Kids and Squids;

1-2 Switch: The game that just won't go away. XD Personally, I didn't even think it was that bad. I actually got some good enjoyment out of it with my cousin. The Baseball minigame was our personal favorite. I just enjoy watching and reading the butthurt comments with a bag of popcorn in my hand.

ARMS: Another surprise hit that is showing some good LEGS. I'm almost certain that plans have already begun for a sequel to this game. I expect its presence and popularity to slowly rise in the coming years as the concept is unique enough to stand on its own and have its own dedicated audience. Depending on how well the sequel capitalizes on building strengths and eliminating weaknesses, we can have a very solid, 'B' tier Nintendo franchise with this one.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2: YES! GO XENOBLADE GO! GET TO 2 MILLION AND BEYOND!!!

Kirby Star Allies: 1.26 million in just 2 weeks? Most impressive for Kirby! If it keeps it up, it should be able to pass Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot, and potentially reach 3 million. Which surprisingly no other Kirby game, besides the first game on the Game Boy, has ever done to my knowledge.

Last edited by PAOerfulone - on 26 April 2018

Around the Network
Megaoverlord12 said:

Does any else find it kind of sad that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, a port of a game that sold over 8 million copies, still managed to sell over 9 million, more than Breath of the Wild or Splatoon 2?

No, look at the 3 previous Mario Kart titles

Mario Kart DS-23.60 million

Mario Kart Wii-37.10 million

Mario Kart 7-17.04 million

Mario Kart 8 was clearly held back by being on Wii U, now thats its on a popular system it can sell to its full potential.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

alejollorente10 said:

Kirby's sales are incredible. It reached the million in a very short time. According to Nintendo, there were 12 million sellers for Nintendo Switch in the last fiscal year (The 9 already known + Pokken Tournament + Mario Rabbids and the other I have no idea.)

Also:

This is interesting. I wonder which one it was. According to the list I have,these are the million sellers of the last year.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
1-2 Switch
Arms
Splatoon 2
Super Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Pokken Tournament DX
Super Bomberman R (¿?)

Adding Kirby to that list, and we only have one missing million seller. I wonder which game it is, I'm sure it's not a Nintendo one, otherwise it would appear on their site.

Also, Fire Emblem Warriors' million seller counts both Switch and 3DS.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

OTBWY said:

Very good numbers. The Switch will overtake the GC soon enough. As for the software, they will keep growing but very good numbers already. BotW will be the most successful Zelda title, MO will probably go over 15m this year. I also am really happy with Xenoblade 2's numbers. Highest selling Xenoblade title and it shows that the franchise is growing.

Looks to be a long journey to the top of that cliff.

I found this in the comments of one of the articles:

Nintendo 3DS vs Switch hardware shipments / LTD sales comparison:

3DS Q1 2011: 3.61 million / 3.61 million (Feb/Mar launch)
3DS Q2 2011: 0.71 million / 4.32 million 
3DS Q3 2011: 2.36 million / 6.68 million (price cut in August)
3DS Q4 2011: 8.35 million / 15.03 million 
3DS Q1 2012: 2.10 million / 17.13 million

Switch Q1 2017: 2.74 million / 2.74 million (March launch)
Switch Q2 2017: 1.96 million / 4.70 million 
Switch Q3 2017: 2.93 million / 7.63 million
Switch Q4 2017: 7.24 million / 14.86 million
Switch Q1 2018: 2.93 million / 17.73 million

I was wondering how the Switch did in comparison to the 3DS. Sweet! It managed to surpass it and have a stronger first fiscal year! Seeing as how the Switch is outselling it weekly (weeks aligned) and is still priced at its launch point of $300, these are some encouraging signs as to how high the Switch's ceiling is.

wombat123 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Why?

Because 3m feels like the bar for a game to get an in-house developed sequel -- unless it's a Miyamoto pet project like Pikmin or a really low budget game like Rhythm Heaven.

I guess I just don't see it that way. 

Doing 3 million lifetime is pretty meh when you consider how early Arms released in the Switch's life cycle. It gets even worse when you consider the huge boost that just about every Nintendo franchise has had on Switch (just look at how Kirby, even without being a critical darling, blew past expectations). Arms is not doing very good at all ... it's just doing "ok", and it seems like that's not something most platform holders are happy with.

Don't get me wrong, I do expect an Arms 2. I just wouldn't be shocked if we didn't get one, and I don't think they'll make an Arms 2 because of sales (if that makes any sense...)

Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:
OTBWY said:

Very good numbers. The Switch will overtake the GC soon enough. As for the software, they will keep growing but very good numbers already. BotW will be the most successful Zelda title, MO will probably go over 15m this year. I also am really happy with Xenoblade 2's numbers. Highest selling Xenoblade title and it shows that the franchise is growing.

Looks to be a long journey to the top of that cliff.

I found this in the comments of one of the articles:

Nintendo 3DS vs Switch hardware shipments / LTD sales comparison:

3DS Q1 2011: 3.61 million / 3.61 million (Feb/Mar launch)
3DS Q2 2011: 0.71 million / 4.32 million 
3DS Q3 2011: 2.36 million / 6.68 million (price cut in August)
3DS Q4 2011: 8.35 million / 15.03 million 
3DS Q1 2012: 2.10 million / 17.13 million

Switch Q1 2017: 2.74 million / 2.74 million (March launch)
Switch Q2 2017: 1.96 million / 4.70 million 
Switch Q3 2017: 2.93 million / 7.63 million
Switch Q4 2017: 7.24 million / 14.86 million
Switch Q1 2018: 2.93 million / 17.73 million

I was wondering how the Switch did in comparison to the 3DS. Sweet! It managed to surpass it and have a stronger first fiscal year! Seeing as how the Switch is outselling it weekly (weeks aligned) and is still priced at its launch point of $300, these are some encouraging signs as to how high the Switch's ceiling is.

And now that stock issues are over, we can finally see its true potential this year.

We reap what we sow

Darwinianevolution said:
alejollorente10 said:

Kirby's sales are incredible. It reached the million in a very short time. According to Nintendo, there were 12 million sellers for Nintendo Switch in the last fiscal year (The 9 already known + Pokken Tournament + Mario Rabbids and the other I have no idea.)

Also:

This is interesting. I wonder which one it was. According to the list I have,these are the million sellers of the last year.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
1-2 Switch
Arms
Splatoon 2
Super Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Pokken Tournament DX
Super Bomberman R (¿?)

Adding Kirby to that list, and we only have one missing million seller. I wonder which game it is, I'm sure it's not a Nintendo one, otherwise it would appear on their site.

Also, Fire Emblem Warriors' million seller counts both Switch and 3DS.

Probably Skyrim or Fifa 18 (I hope it's Skyrim)

Last edited by alejollorente10 - on 26 April 2018

Switch Friend Code = 5965 - 4586 - 6484

PSN: alejollorente10

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
wombat123 said:

Because 3m feels like the bar for a game to get an in-house developed sequel -- unless it's a Miyamoto pet project like Pikmin or a really low budget game like Rhythm Heaven.

I guess I just don't see it that way. 

Doing 3 million lifetime is pretty meh when you consider how early Arms released in the Switch's life cycle. It gets even worse when you consider the huge boost that just about every Nintendo franchise has had on Switch (just look at how Kirby, even without being a critical darling, blew past expectations). Arms is not doing very good at all ... it's just doing "ok", and it seems like that's not something most platform holders are happy with.

Don't get me wrong, I do expect an Arms 2. I just wouldn't be shocked if we didn't get one, and I don't think they'll make an Arms 2 because of sales (if that makes any sense...)

I agree with you that ARMS will probably not get an EPD developed sequel since it will most likely take too long for it to reach the required sales with a good amount of them probably being at discount prices but there's a part of me that hopes otherwise because of how hard they're still pushing it.  That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo green-lights a new in-house Nintendogs game before an in-house ARMS sequel since a new Nintendogs game would probably be more lucrative, even in its current state.

Last edited by wombat123 - on 26 April 2018

Double post.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 26 April 2018

curl-6 said:

You can add all this in OP.

Nintendo 4th Quarter Consolidated Results FY3/2018

Net Sales: (FYTD)

¥1,055,682 million (~$ 9.66 billion),

115.8% increase YoY

Operating Income: (FYTD)

¥177,557 million (~$1.62 billion),

504.7% increase YoY

Profit: (FYTD)

¥139,590 million (~$1.28 billion) 

36.1% increase YoY

Nintendo Switch

Hardware:

2.92 million for the quarter/

15.05 million FYTD /

17.79 million LTD

Software:

16.41 million for the quarter/

63.51 million FYTD/

68.97 million LTD

(Only counts Digital software that has a retail version)

3DS

Hardware:

0.54 million for the quarter/

6.4 million FYTD/

72.53 million LTD

Software:

4.39 million for the quarter/

35.64 million FYTD/

364.89 million LTD

Switch Hardware shipments WW LTD:

Japan - 4.38 million

The Americas - 7.14 million

Other - 6.27 million

Switch Hardware shipments WW LTD by %:

Japan - 25%

The Americas - 40%

Other - 35%

-Super Mario Odyssey – 10.41 million

-Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 9.22 million

-Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 8.48 million

-Splatoon 2 – 6.02 million

-1-2 Switch – 2.29 million

-ARMS – 1.85 million

-Xenoblade Chronicles 2 – 1.31 million

-Kirby Star Allies – 1.26 million

-Pokken Tournament DX - 1.16m

Switch has 12 one million sellers, including the titles of other software publishers.

Switch digital sales increased 87% YoY.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/hard_soft/index.html

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/index.html

SNES Mini Classic hit 5.28 million units LTD

Nintendo is forecasting 20M units hardware, 100M units software for Switch for FY3/2019.

Nintendo is forecasting 4M units hardware, 16M units software for 3DS for FY3/2019.