By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Quarterly Results, Hardware + Software

leedlelee said:
We're really thinking that we'll get a Mario Kart 9 on Switch???
I'm the only one whose skeptical of the idea???
Why fix what isn't broken???
No???

Because if they don't make Mario Kart 9 on Switch, then there would be a 6+ year gap between Mario Kart releases, and 9+ years between brand new versions. This would be utterly ridiculous considering that Mario Kart is Nintendo's most popular franchise as of right now. It's the top game on both 3DS and Wii U, and it's number 2 on Switch despite just being a port of the Wii U version. We haven't gone three years without a Mario Kart game being released since 2002.



Around the Network
shadowii said:
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2018/180427_2e.pdf
Full translated breifing

Thanks.  I love looking at this stuff.  

It's fascinating to me that Kirby is doing so much better than the previous several Kirby games.  The previous Kirby games had much better install bases and the review scores on this game are nothing exceptional.  This is really starting to become a trend with first party games on the Switch.  They are ALL selling exceptionally well.  I mean at first it started to look like just a game here and a game there, but now it looks like all the Nintendo games on Switch are really selling like crazy.

First there was Zelda.  Ok, most people agree this is much better than previous Zeldas.  Then Mario Kart 8, but we say the Wii U sucked so hard that now it's getting a fair shake.  But also 3D Mario and and Xenoblade Chronicles and now Kirby are all selling better on the Switch than they ever have before (or at least in a very long time).  Now it's not even really about the games themselves, because this phenomenon is happening with every single game

The market is just gobbling up Switch games like there is no tomorrow, and the install base is at best only 17m at this point.  Really I expect every first party game to become the best selling ever at this point:  Donkey Kong Country, Metroid Prime 4, Smash Bros...  I expect them to all sell like crazy.  I don't know why, but the market is on fire for Nintendo first party.  



Excellent results, especially SW! When pokemon comes..... BOOM! Sales of Switch will explode!



DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

This console is a software moving monster. Seems every first party release for the system is turning to gold, and quite a few third party efforts as well. I definitely think Pokemon Switch is gonna outsell every gen since gen 2. 



StarDoor said:
leedlelee said:
We're really thinking that we'll get a Mario Kart 9 on Switch???
I'm the only one whose skeptical of the idea???
Why fix what isn't broken???
No???

Because if they don't make Mario Kart 9 on Switch, then there would be a 6+ year gap between Mario Kart releases, and 9+ years between brand new versions. This would be utterly ridiculous considering that Mario Kart is Nintendo's most popular franchise as of right now. It's the top game on both 3DS and Wii U, and it's number 2 on Switch despite just being a port of the Wii U version. We haven't gone three years without a Mario Kart game being released since 2002.

I predicted this last year that we might get a decade gap between new MK games, bc there really is no need for MK9 when MK8D perfected the series so well and it's essentially a brand new MK game to most Switch owners. Why waste the dev time and resources on another MK game which would likely just be new tracks and not much else? They can do DLC for that. They should invest that into other games which can offer fresher experiences and then when we finally get MK9 on the Switch's successor it will be a true next step in the franchise opposed to just a minor upgrade. 



Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

 Really I expect every first party game to become the best selling ever at this point:  Donkey Kong Country, Metroid Prime 4, Smash Bros...  I expect them to all sell like crazy.  I don't know why, but the market is on fire for Nintendo first party.  

I sure hope you don't mean the port of Tropical Freeze, cos no way in hell is that outselling the original Donkey Kong Country's 9.3 million.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

 Really I expect every first party game to become the best selling ever at this point:  Donkey Kong Country, Metroid Prime 4, Smash Bros...  I expect them to all sell like crazy.  I don't know why, but the market is on fire for Nintendo first party.  

I sure hope you don't mean the port of Tropical Freeze, cos no way in hell is that outselling the original Donkey Kong Country's 9.3 million.

Ya no way in hell that happens. I think it will sell 2-3m and pass the original Tropical Freeze & Returns 3D.



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

What more needs to be said? It's just good to see the Switch and its 1st party games are doing very well, even the little titles. I feel comfortable in saying whenever FE Switch launches, it'll have some good numbers as well, at least a mil.

I hope 3rd parties are doing well on the system as well.



 

              

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

HyrulianScrolls said:

This console is a software moving monster. Seems every first party release for the system is turning to gold, and quite a few third party efforts as well. I definitely think Pokemon Switch is gonna outsell every gen since gen 2. 

True, a quick analysis show us this:

- Zelda BotW is already the best selling game in the series already. Even if you combine remake versions this will happen this year anyway

- MK8D outsold the original, a rare feat in the industry. It’s also on track to easily cross the 20m mark (and who knows where it will land)

- Splatoon 2 became the best selling in the series after 6 months on the market

- Pokkén is about to outsell the original

- SMO is by far the fastest selling 3D Mario ever and will become the best selling one this year

- XC2 is the best selling in the series 

- Bayonetta 2+1 is outselling their counterparts launch aligned

- Kirby Star Allies is by far the fastest selling in the series

I mean, all games that aren’t a new IP are outselling their originals, either have become the best selling in the series or are bound to become eventually. I’ve never seen this before.

I won’t be surprised if DKCTF outsell the original quite fastly too. Might even outsell the Wii game in the long run.



Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

I sure hope you don't mean the port of Tropical Freeze, cos no way in hell is that outselling the original Donkey Kong Country's 9.3 million.

Ya no way in hell that happens. I think it will sell 2-3m and pass the original Tropical Freeze & Returns 3D.

Yeah, I misspoke that the Tropical Freeze port will outsell all DKC games ever, but it will definitely outsell the original version on the Wii U.  My point is that everything on the Switch is selling better than expected.