By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Quarterly Results, Hardware + Software

flashfire926 said:
Nuvendil said:

Funny how everyone writes off the posibility of an Arms sequel because it hasn't sold 3 to 5 million.  Xenoblade 1 and X never broke 1mil but 2 was made AND given the biggest marketing push of them all and that's a much more costly series than Arms.  Arms has already outsold the highest selling Pikmin entries and that series is still chugging along.  Nintendo has demonstrated time and time and time again that they are completely comfortable with giving ideas more than one shot if they show potential.  And they are also happy to keep mid tier franchises going.  I would be surprised if Arms doesn't get a follow up.

The difference here is, Xenoblade is Monolith's main series. That has always been their jam, that's what they are good at.

The only reason Pikmin gets sequels is because that franchise is Shigeru Miyomoto's baby.

I'm not suggesting ARMS was a failure. Infact, I admit that it did quite well for what it was. It probably earned more profit's than Xenoblade 2, as you suggested. However, if you're Nintendo, do you send the Kosuke Yabuki team to.....

a) Make Mariokart 9. A game that is basically guaranteed to sell at least 10 million units on Switch (probably much more than that)

b) sequel to ARMS, something that may not even hit 2 million (first game only sold as well as it did because next to nothing on the switch when the game launched. Now, that advantage will also be gone).

You could put another EPD team on it, sure. But what team? Take the koizumi team off 3D Mario? Take the Aonuma team off Zelda? Take Nogami team off Splatoon? Heck no, to all of these. The only one that would do it is 1,2 Switch/Labo team.

Funny you said the 1-2 Switch/Labo team. Tsubasa Sakaguchi, the director of Labo, was the director of the original Splatoon. 

https://labo.nintendo.com/developer-interview/

If they want, the directors and programmers can be flexible and do whatever they feel like doing. And Sakaguchi wanted to go outside of conventional game development.

Around the Network
quickrick said:
alejollorente10 said:

Oh, the guy who has nothing positive to say about Nintendo! Seriously, why are you doing this? I don't like Sony but you will not see me in this forum in threads about Sony saying only negative things about them.

I like nintendo, they make great games, i'm just talking about sales, switch is doing great, but it won't get be selling near ps4.

You might get surprised soon enough

In fact, saying not near PS4 sales when it did around 15M for the last fiscal year, which is near PS4 sales of the time (2014-2015) is pretty self defeating.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
quickrick said:

I like nintendo, they make great games, i'm just talking about sales, switch is doing great, but it won't get be selling near ps4.

In fact, saying not near PS4 sales when it did around 15M for the last fiscal year, which is near PS4 sales of the time (2014-2015) is pretty self defeating.

PS4 in 13.5 months sold through 18.5 million, switch in 13 months is probably at 15.5 million sold through.

quickrick said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

Do you even play games bro? And not talking about stuff from 1999... 

LOL yea games that i have beaten this gen. bloodborne, MGSV, witcher 3, uncharted 4,  evil with in, and batman. games that i'm getting soon are GOW, nioh, evil with in 2, and resident evil 7. I bought a wiiu on ebay, to catch up on nintendo games, but i'm in colombia, and its hard to focus, when i'm meeting so much woman here lol.

Treat them! Don't loose your precious time posting so much!

quickrick said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

Do you even play games bro? And not talking about stuff from 1999... 

LOL yea games that i have beaten this gen. bloodborne, MGSV, witcher 3, uncharted 4,  evil with in, and batman. games that i'm getting soon are GOW, nioh, evil with in 2, and resident evil 7. I bought a wiiu on ebay, to catch up on nintendo games, but i'm in colombia, and its hard to focus, when i'm meeting so much woman here lol.

Just curious, cause I never see you talk about actual games on here just sales lol. And curious as to why you'd buy a Wii U instead of a Switch. Are they hard to come by in South America? I did love the Wii U, but it really pales in comparison...mine has been gathering dust for 1 year. 

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
quickrick said:

Treat them! Don't loose your precious time posting so much!

Its a roller coaster ride easy come, easy go, and i'm very picky, lol.

Kirby sold a whole lot of games really fast. I didn't know the little guy had it in him. Switch in general is doing extremely well. It is hard to ask for a better first full fiscal year than that.

quickrick said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

PS4 in 13.5 months sold through 18.5 million, switch in 13 months is probably at 15.5 million sold through.

VGC should be pretty much on track here, maybe even slightly undertracked. In this time period, there are generally around 1-1.5 Million unsold consoles on shelves and transit, not 2.3 as you are projecting. Like I said, VGC is trailing by 1.6M, and while that is a bit high for the season, it could still be considered very good tracking.

PortisheadBiscuit said:
quickrick said:

Just curious, cause I never see you talk about actual games on here just sales lol. And curious as to why you'd buy a Wii U instead of a Switch. Are they hard to come by in South America? I did love the Wii U, but it really pales in comparison...mine has been gathering dust for 1 year. 

a bought wiiu to use for emulators, and try wii games and i really only care for mario, and zelda, plus i never played the galaxy series, it's still in the states, i bought over 6 months ago for like 150$.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
quickrick said:

VGC should be pretty much on track here, maybe even slightly undertracked. In this time period, there are generally around 1-1.5 Million unsold consoles on shelves and transit, not 2.3 as you are projecting. Like I said, VGC is trailing by 1.6M, and while that is a bit high for the season, it could still be considered very good tracking.

no way of knowing but sony regularly has 2-3 million in transit.