By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Belgium: FIFA 18, CSGO and Overwatch loot boxes violate gambling laws, have to be removed or risk up to €1.6mil fines or 10 year jail sentence

That's pretty cool to see, some actual action get them going on the back foot now.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
CuCabeludo said:
Nem said:

HAhaha... the problem is, this isn't just 2 small countries, this will be the european union. This got all the track to be brought to the commission specifically to stop abuses.

Europe isn't the US buddy. Companies don't fuck us here, we fuck the companies.

If they want out, they are gonna have to go out of the whole EU market. That is a huge profit market impossible to ignore.

What can happen is the US keeps the scammy lootboxes but EU gets different game design. I am fine with that. The americans have to fight to defend their rights.

Even if they want to remove from the market, i assure you we are perfectly fine with that. It's more their loss than ours.

There's nothing sadder than businessmen who think they can evade the law. Any court of law will see that behaviour of atempting to evade the law as clear as day and take action.

At the end of the day, the services can just be permanently blocked by the governments. Don't think businessmen are smart. They aren't. They always get their due sooner or later.

Facebook is already out of reach of any EU law. Any company can give a middle finger to any contry and move to other that can provide better terms. This is why there is no manufacturing in US anymore, everything moved to China.

Facebook does what they let it do. It's pretty easy to block acess to Facebook in the EU if they want to. It's already done in some countries with for example Pirate Bay.

Nem said:
CuCabeludo said:

Facebook is already out of reach of any EU law. Any company can give a middle finger to any contry and move to other that can provide better terms. This is why there is no manufacturing in US anymore, everything moved to China.

Facebook does what they let it do. It's pretty easy to block acess to Facebook in the EU if they want to. It's already done in some countries with for example Pirate Bay.

It's equally easy to access any game/site that is blocked in your country with VPN. Lineage 2 Classic Europe for example is blocked for any country that is not in Europe, and yet I play it everyday through VPN.

For pirate bay, you don't even need to pay for a VPN. The only thing you need is download the Tor Browser and you will rape through any blocked site.

Last edited by CuCabeludo - on 28 April 2018

Good news to me, hope this leads to the eventual death of lootboxes.

CuCabeludo said:

Facebook moved 1.5 billion European users' data out of Europe to circumvent new European user privacy law. Any company can just move the operations/servers out of any country easily and give a giant middle finger.

These companies can just do the same and be free of this new rules, players can still play but they won't have local servers anymore or use a VPN at the worst case (region IP block).

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/apr/19/facebook-moves-15bn-users-out-of-reach-of-new-european-privacy-law

I don't see how that helps them. The GDPR laws explicitly are about the data and whether you are personally a citizen or resident of the EU, it doesn't matter where the data is housed (in or out of the EU) Facebook would still be liable for any breaches under GDPR and still need to report on it and the 4% revenue fine would still apply should they fail to meet those requirements.

Edit: I understand now, basically cuCabeludo made some "creative" edits which is why it made no sense. They are NOT moving EU users data, they are moving NON EU users data. moving EU users data would have had zero effect as EU data isn't governed by borders, other countries data is though.o

Last edited by nanarchy - on 28 April 2018

Around the Network
NobleTeam360 said:
Good news to me, hope this leads to the eventual death of lootboxes.

I have good hopes that loot boxes will die before the next-gen consoles arrive and that publishers will move to a model where you can just directly buy the skins you want like Overwatch. Although some games like FIFA Ultimate Team are just build around it too heavily to get rid off them.

CuCabeludo said:
Nem said:

It's equally easy to access any game/site that is blocked in your country with VPN. Lineage 2 Classic Europe for example is blocked for any country that is not in Europe, and yet I play it everyday through VPN.

For pirate bay, you don't even need to pay for a VPN. The only thing you need is download the Tor Browser and you will rape through any blocked site.

It still blocks the majority of the traffic. Not everyone cares enough to go find an illegal workaround.

CuCabeludo said:
Nem said:

HAhaha... the problem is, this isn't just 2 small countries, this will be the european union. This got all the track to be brought to the commission specifically to stop abuses.

Europe isn't the US buddy. Companies don't fuck us here, we fuck the companies.

If they want out, they are gonna have to go out of the whole EU market. That is a huge profit market impossible to ignore.

What can happen is the US keeps the scammy lootboxes but EU gets different game design. I am fine with that. The americans have to fight to defend their rights.

Even if they want to remove from the market, i assure you we are perfectly fine with that. It's more their loss than ours.

There's nothing sadder than businessmen who think they can evade the law. Any court of law will see that behaviour of atempting to evade the law as clear as day and take action.

At the end of the day, the services can just be permanently blocked by the governments. Don't think businessmen are smart. They aren't. They always get their due sooner or later.

Actually Facebook already made a lot of changes for european laws for the whole world, so even for users falling under different jurisdictions. And whatever they do, the laws apply to all user-profiles from european users, so they can fuck with american user data, but not with the data of european users. They could though give up on the european market and delete all profiles of european users and disallow european users to register - but that will not happen, as this is big profit for Facebook. So yeah, they moved some data of users not from the european union away from european servers. They still have to follow law for all european users.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Nem said:
CuCabeludo said:

It still blocks the majority of the traffic. Not everyone cares enough to go find an illegal workaround.

I agree. It is a minority that looks for VPN/Proxies/Tor or other stuff to circumvent blocks. So blocks are basically effective for the majority of the populace.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Belgian Gaming Commission recommends criminal prosecution over illegal loot boxes

The Belgian Gaming Commission (BGC) has suggested that criminal prosecution should be undertaken against Electronic Arts, Valve, and Activision Blizzard over loot boxes in their respective games.

With the release of its research report on loot boxes, the BGC has clearly defined the parameters of what does and does not constitute gambling, and the ways in which FIFA 18, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, and Overwatch each contravene the legislation.

The report lays out recommendations of what steps should be taken next to handle the issue.

Although the BGC has suggested criminal prosecution first and foremost, it will not proceed until Belgian minister of justice Koen Geens has met with industry stakeholders to begin a dialogue on the issue.

Speaking with GamesIndustry.biz, BGC director Peter Naessens said: "We are going to take all preparatory measures for the drafting of police reports, but it's not going to be tomorrow. There is a certain amount of time for the minister of justice, but it's not unlimited."

Full article: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-05-10-belgian-gambling-commission-lays-out-recommendations-over-illegal-loot-boxes