By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales (Week 16): Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - April 16 - 22 , 2018

Pinkie_pie said:
Ps4 would be selling 25-30k if it wasn't supply constrained. meanwhile switch is selling 35k without supply issue which isn't really good.

Hardly that PS4 would sell that much in pre Golden Weeks.

Around the Network

Labo opened decently, but I certainly thought it would have a bigger effect on hardware. I can see how you can argue that the first adopters are likely to be Nintendo faithful, but even should be interesting to see long term effects.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Just one thing to remember to be entirely fair about the Labo/GoW deal. 

In Japan, Labo is everywhere. You have billboards in the stations, you have ads running all the time on the TV in the trains, shelves with boxes and ads in the street in front of the stores, and if you go to the video games floor, the first thing you will see is a pile of Labo boxes and a big TV with Labo ads forming a nice looking stand. I even saw an employee in charge of the stand welcoming the clients and explaining Labo. Basically, at least if you live in Tokyo, it can be hard to spend a day without seeing anything Labo-related.

Meanwhile, GoW... Just doesn't exist. It's almost nowhere to be seen. No ads in the stations, trains or streets. Even in the stores, it's just with the other PS4 games. I saw a shelf with a TV running the trailer, but it was after the Monster Hunter TV shelf and the P3/P5 Dancing one. When I bought my GoW PS4, the employee even had some trouble reading the name on the pre-order bill (in katakana) because she apparently just didn't know it. If you don't keep yourself informed about video games with specialized websites or magazines, you likely won't be aware that the game released. If I remember correctly, there was also nothing noticeable about GoW at the TGS, the big games on the Sony stand being Gran Turismo and Detroit...

Obviously, even with other conditions Labo would beat GoW because of the type of game and targeted audiences. But the results are even less surprising when you see that Sony just didn't give a sh*t about GoW here. 

If i'm reading the Famitsu report correctly, there are a lot of Labo kits waiting to be sold still on shelves. 20-40% sell through whereas God of War had 60-80%

https://www.famitsu.com/biz/ranking/

Should also be noted that Famitsu has a more even 5.4k/6.4k split between PS4 and PS4 pro.

Faelco said:

In Japan, Labo is everywhere. You have billboards in the stations, you have ads running all the time on the TV in the trains, shelves with boxes and ads in the street in front of the stores, and if you go to the video games floor, the first thing you will see is a pile of Labo boxes and a big TV with Labo ads forming a nice looking stand. I even saw an employee in charge of the stand welcoming the clients and explaining Labo. Basically, at least if you live in Tokyo, it can be hard to spend a day without seeing anything Labo-related.

Meanwhile, GoW... Just doesn't exist. It's almost nowhere to be seen. No ads in the stations, trains or streets. Even in the stores, it's just with the other PS4 games. I saw a shelf with a TV running the trailer, but it was after the Monster Hunter TV shelf and the P3/P5 Dancing one. When I bought my GoW PS4, the employee even had some trouble reading the name on the pre-order bill (in katakana) because she apparently just didn't know it. If you don't keep yourself informed about video games with specialized websites or magazines, you likely won't be aware that the game released. If I remember correctly, there was also nothing noticeable about GoW at the TGS, the big games on the Sony stand being Gran Turismo and Detroit...

Obviously, even with other conditions Labo would beat GoW because of the type of game and targeted audiences. But the results are even less surprising when you see that Sony just didn't give a sh*t about GoW here. 

I mean it makes sense, Nintendo probably wants Labo to be the next Nintendogs, Brain Age, Wii Sports or Wii Fit.

On the other hand, this is the 7th God of War game, if the first 6 didnt do great than its unlikely the series ever will.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
nemo37 said:
Train wreck said:

If people fail to look at the fact that the PS4 Pro is 2x sales of the slim and still question stock issues for the PS4 in Japan, they are not worth your time. Pretty bad week overall, Switch -15k from last year (when it HAD stock issues and a new release this week), 3DS and Vita <10k combined, PS4 stock constrained, hopefully Golden week shows some better numbers

I do believe that PS4 is stock constrained going by various online stores. Although the Pro selling more this week is not really the best indicator since that includes the GoW limited edition that was available for pre-ordering and it launched this week with the game, which will most likely explain why it sold more than Slim this week.

Also, the GoW limited editon was a Pro model, hence why the sales of the Pro are so much higher this week than the base model.

Faelco said:

GoW is also a Cero Z game which means it cannot be sold to under 18s.

God of War's debut is weak but that's not surprising, MHW almost out of the top 20 and NNK2 already out. What do japanese PS4 owners even play on their PS4s lol?

Labo did good numbers, I think.

Last edited by Keybladewielder - on 26 April 2018

Lawlight said:
Faelco said:

GoW is also a Cero Z game which means it cannot be sold to under 18s.

I'm not sure how respected it is here. I know 18-19 years old Japanese who buy alcohol anywhere and anytime they want without any ID check, even if alcohol is forbidden under 20 here. So I don't know if they do it for vidéo games... 

Keybladewielder said:

God of War's debut is weak but that's not surprising, MHW almost out of the top 20 and NNK2 already out. What do japanese PS4 owners even play on their PS4s lol?

Labo did good numbers, I think.

The Monster Hunter World numbers are particularly surprising to me.  I expected it to hang around the top 20 for a couple of more months but I'm sure Capcom was happy to trade the 1m or so lost Japanese sales for the couple of million more sales it gained in the west.