By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox One is the best console if you don't care about exclusive new games - The Verge

This week’s slate of new releases for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One serves as an illuminating indicator of the state each console is in. The PS4 has two new exclusive titles in major series that date back to the PlayStation 2 days: God of War, by all accounts a masterpiece, and Yakuza 6, a satisfying final chapter for a much-loved character. The Xbox One, on the other hand? Well, now you can play a bunch more old Xbox 1 — as in the original Xbox — games.

I don’t mean for this to sound damning, though. While Microsoft is rightly being pilloried for its anemic first-party software efforts, the Xbox One actually now has more to play on it than any other console. At least, from a certain point of view.

What I didn’t know is how brilliantly Microsoft would implement the system. Whether you insert an old game into your Xbox One’s disc drive or buy a digital copy online, the title gets added to your list of games and becomes associated with your account just like any new release would be. This makes legacy titles feel like a true, native part of the platform rather than a retro hack designed to save space under the TV. It’s a really smart move on Microsoft’s part.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/18/17251030/xbox-one-backwards-compatibility-360-panzer-dragoon-orta

congrats to Phil and the Xbox team

Around the Network

Well, with the Xbox One X it definitely is the best console for multiplats, however I myself just have a vanilla PS4 and Xbox One, so I go with the PS4 versions.

So its the dreamcast of the console world

«Xbox One is the best console if you don’t care about the very thing that defines consoles»

Predicted 15+ million lifetime-sales for God of War:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234612&page=1

I actually agree. Almost everything is better on Xbox (compared to PS4) except the most important thing: the games.

The UI is better, the controller is better, the online subscription package is better, the BC is far better. But games trump all, and that's why Xbox One is inferior to PS4.

Around the Network

Well if he want to have a gigantic library of old games he could buy a PS2 for himself... or a PC.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

RolStoppable said:
VGPolyglot said:
Well, with the Xbox One X it definitely is the best console for multiplats, however I myself just have a vanilla PS4 and Xbox One, so I go with the PS4 versions.

The author of the article talks about his Xbox One S and PS4 Pro. Additionally, he either doesn't know that Switch exists or doesn't want to acknowledge that it exists.

On another related note, Panzer Dragoon Orta wasn't anything special. Ironically though, it owes its attention and reputation to the fact that it was an exclusive game.

Well, with my clarification of the Xbox One X it makes more sense than what he went with, since the PS4 Pro is obviously going to produce better results than the Xbox One S. I do know that backwards compatibility, UI, controller, online, etc. also come into play, but if we're talking about multiplats that distinction needs to be made.

DonFerrari said:
Well if he want to have a gigantic library of old games he could buy a PS2 for himself... or a PC.

Or Sony could just implement BC so I can play my PS1-PS3 games on my PS4.

RolStoppable said:
VGPolyglot said:

The author of the article talks about his Xbox One S and PS4 Pro. Additionally, he either doesn't know that Switch exists or doesn't want to acknowledge that it exists.

On another related note, Panzer Dragoon Orta wasn't anything special. Ironically though, it owes its attention and reputation to the fact that it was an exclusive game.

It is just an niche title that has it's fans.  I am not a fan of those games myself, people also forgot Crimson dragon was a thing on xbox one.

Ironically, the original Xbox had it's 4 years close to 100 exclusives or even more if you include pc games that's like 25 a year and it sold the worst.

Which is why i bought a PS4. I think backwards compatibility is an awesome feature, but it shouldn't be the main feature of a console which from my point of view it has become on xbox one. But what do i know, i hardly pay attention to xbox anymore