By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dark Souls Switch delayed to Summer 2018

Nuvendil said:
Thechalkblock said:
this is a big bummer. i can only hope it’s for a good reason, and that the game is priced well. a high price and late launch could really hurt the game’s sales.

Thankfully all versions are $40.

Nintendo could learn a thing or two from Bandai Namco.

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:
Thechalkblock said:
this is a big bummer. i can only hope it’s for a good reason, and that the game is priced well. a high price and late launch could really hurt the game’s sales.

$40 is a good start, but by the time the switch version comes out the others might already be cheaper, which could put off multi-console owners. 

of course it shouldn’t effect those that only own the switch, or those that really want portable dark souls, but i imagine the delay will hurt sales somewhat regardless. i just hope the difference, from a business standpoint, is negligible enough where the rest of the games can make their way to switch.

KLXVER said

Nintendo could learn a thing or two from Bandai Namco.

*cough* tropical freeze *cough*

Thechalkblock said:
Nuvendil said:

$40 is a good start, but by the time the switch version comes out the others might already be cheaper, which could put off multi-console owners. 

of course it shouldn’t effect those that only own the switch, or those that really want portable dark souls, but i imagine the delay will hurt sales somewhat regardless. i just hope the difference, from a business standpoint, is negligible enough where the rest of the games can make their way to switch.

It's dificult to ask them to give special treatment however, with regards to price.  Unless it came out something like a year or two later.  That would just open up a PR can of worms.

Thechalkblock said:

$40 isnt relly high price, its same price point for all 3 versions of game.

Around the Network

this is bad. something has happened since the direct.

Switch!!!

nemo37 said:
ryuzaki57 said:
With the Valkyria, DQ delays and now this, it's clear that Switch versions are giving trouble to 3rd party developers/publishers pretty much everywhere. That Bamco's comment on Dark Souls is further evidence that it's difficult to have a PS4-based game run in handheld mode. Longer development means higher cost, and sales prospects for 3rd party games aren't that brilliant seeing COMG and recent records of Switch 3rd software sales, so ultimately that's lower margin for those companies. It will be interesting to see how they will react in 6 months/1 year.

Finally, I don't think your argument regarding sales of third-party titles hold up. We have had games like Attack on Titan 2 that have done fairly well on Switch, and even some late ports like Xenoverse 2. The problem right now is that we have very few major third-party titles that have had simultaneous releases with Switch. We know very little about how such titles would perform on the system.

AoT2 Switch has sold 47K so far, which is less than the 1st week sales of AoT1 Vita alone. Not sure that that can be labeled as "well". 

Pavolink said:  To what recent records are you refering?

Most 3rd party games on Switch have been struggling to reach 50K sold in MC/Famitsu, not even hitting 10K for many of them. I doubt that publishers are impressed.

zippy said: Not seen you in ages around these parts, wonder why you chose to show up today. 

It's true I've been busy in the review section lately. But I'm always here for the interesting debates.

ryuzaki57 said:
nemo37 said:

Finally, I don't think your argument regarding sales of third-party titles hold up. We have had games like Attack on Titan 2 that have done fairly well on Switch, and even some late ports like Xenoverse 2. The problem right now is that we have very few major third-party titles that have had simultaneous releases with Switch. We know very little about how such titles would perform on the system.

AoT2 Switch has sold 47K so far, which is less than the 1st week sales of AoT1 Vita alone. Not sure that that can be labeled as "well". 

Most 3rd party games on Switch have been struggling to reach 50K sold in MC/Famitsu, not even hitting 10K for many of them. I doubt that publishers are impressed.

zippy said: Not seen you in ages around these parts, wonder why you chose to show up today. 

It's true I've been busy in the review section lately. But I'm always here for the interesting debates.

You're exaggerating, the fact of the matter is that the Switch is selling too well for publishers to just up and ignore it, and so it'll continue to get games.

VGPolyglot said:
Pavolink said:

To what recent records are you refering?

Who knows, he always wants to talk about how much in danger third-parties are on the Switch.

What is interesting is when he joined discord said he would change this behavior, and now slowly reverting back to the same behavior he said he would change from, ignoring any examples where something Switch version does better. 

ryuzaki57 said:
nemo37 said:

Just out of curiosity, how did 3rd parties perform on PSV/PS4 in their first year?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.