By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer's PR guide book

Huh, a thread that delivers the goods for a change.

Around the Network

So was this created in the depths of visioneck by ethomaz?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
So was this created in the depths of visioneck by ethomaz?

It would have had even shittier English if it did.

Much like most political leaders, there's likely a hard limit on what Phil Spencer himself can impact within the greater context of MS as a massive company, so it makes sense to me that a lot of his job comes down to appearances and the like. It's mostly comes across as hollow, but at least I can believe that he's legitimately trying to steer the department into a games-centric direction as opposed to what we had before with Don Mattrick, who's influence on the brand ultimately led to me switching to Playstation as my main gaming base.

Thinking about it though, that hollowness does speak to a greater tonal issue I've had with Microsoft's marketing for a few years. A lot of their products and services lately are attempts (sometimes failed, other times successful) at aping something from a clear industry leader, and in turn their ads just come off as so cloying, manipulative, and self-righteous. The said could be said of a lot of advertising of course, but I still remember the "Scroogled" Bing campaign, a series of pretty annoying Windows phone ads that really seemed like they were speaking down to people, and that ridiculous attempt at misrepresenting the 4K features of the Xbox One S when it first came out. Am I the only one who's been rubbed the wrong way by MS marketing lately?

Wish Sony and Nintendo had someone as vocal and active as the XBoss :)

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:

You are really asking for trouble with this post. Good luck.

Wow this is actually a really good post. Sure, it is flaming Phil spencer, but it's not overly mean and it's pretty hilarious. It's also totally true.

On the other hand, I didn't know you count to 6 as 1,2,3,3,4,5,6.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

You are really asking for trouble with this post. Good luck.

I don’t see why. If so, then what does that say about the thread? 

Papa Phil is passionate about gaming and he shares a lot. I would just enjoy someone like that from the other two as well. At least in the US, there doesn’t seem to be someone as engaging with fans and open in interviews. It’s like Kenny K but instead of batshit insane tech stuff he just talks about the industry.

DJjazzyGETH said:
Much like most political leaders, there's likely a hard limit on what Phil Spencer himself can impact within the greater context of MS as a massive company, so it makes sense to me that a lot of his job comes down to appearances and the like. It's mostly comes across as hollow, but at least I can believe that he's legitimately trying to steer the department into a games-centric direction as opposed to what we had before with Don Mattrick, who's influence on the brand ultimately led to me switching to Playstation as my main gaming base.

Thinking about it though, that hollowness does speak to a greater tonal issue I've had with Microsoft's marketing for a few years. A lot of their products and services lately are attempts (sometimes failed, other times successful) at aping something from a clear industry leader, and in turn their ads just come off as so cloying, manipulative, and self-righteous. The said could be said of a lot of advertising of course, but I still remember the "Scroogled" Bing campaign, a series of pretty annoying Windows phone ads that really seemed like they were speaking down to people, and that ridiculous attempt at misrepresenting the 4K features of the Xbox One S when it first came out. Am I the only one who's been rubbed the wrong way by MS marketing lately?

Considering that before Phil they had a lot more exclusives (X360 and start of X1), do you really prefer his direction?

LudicrousSpeed said:

So you wished that Sony and Nintendo were more about talking and less about doing?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Jesus christ?!?! was there a hack at Microsoft? how did you get access to the Phil Flowchart?

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive