By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer's PR guide book

Not sure if this thread is praise or criticism but seeing how it's Phil, gonna guess the latter...

bananaking21 said: 

After several years of Phil being the head of MS. A lot of PR methods are really showing. So here is a quick look into good old Phil's notebook on how to PR.

1- always say that first party is important on twitter. And say stuff like you want to improve it and build it further. Never say something specific

2- say the word "games" as much as possible during interviews or while on stage. (Note: emphasis the pronunciation of the word as much as possible without looking weird)

3- at the start of each year, tweet something about E3 and start hyping it by saying you're "looking forward to it it" and you're "doing something different", something similar to that, without actually saying anything specific

3- when asked about a short coming. Always be vague, never say something specific, and try to put in phrases like "what's good for the industry" in there.

4- congratulate Sony every now and then, and compliment Nintendo every now and then to seem like a "nice guy"

5- leave the massive spinning and shit talk for greenberg. 

6- wear t-shirts with game logos on them (try to make them indie games as much as possible) so people thibk you give a shit. 

I wish someone would make a ken kutaragi thread. It would be savage. 

"1- always say that first party is important on twitter. And say stuff like you want to improve it and build it further. Never say something specific"

> How more specific would you like?

"2- say the word "games" as much as possible during interviews or while on stage. (Note: emphasis the pronunciation of the word as much as possible without looking weird)"

> Have you examples of interviews and stage presentations where Spencer says "games" "as much as possible"?

"3- at the start of each year, tweet something about E3 and start hyping it by saying you're "looking forward to it it" and you're "doing something different", something similar to that, without actually saying anything specific"

> I would think going into specifics might ruin the element of surprise there is to these conferences.

"3- when asked about a short coming. Always be vague, never say something specific, and try to put in phrases like "what's good for the industry" in there."

> Example?

"4- congratulate Sony every now and then, and compliment Nintendo every now and then to seem like a "nice guy""

> Maybe he IS a nice guy in real life?

"5- leave the massive spinning and shit talk for greenberg. "

> What has Greenberg said as of late?

"6- wear t-shirts with game logos on them (try to make them indie games as much as possible) so people thibk you give a shit."

> Maybe he DOES give a shit?

"I wish someone would make a ken kutaragi thread. It would be savage."

> Step right up!

Around the Network

Huh, a thread that delivers the goods for a change.

So was this created in the depths of visioneck by ethomaz?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
So was this created in the depths of visioneck by ethomaz?

It would have had even shittier English if it did.

Much like most political leaders, there's likely a hard limit on what Phil Spencer himself can impact within the greater context of MS as a massive company, so it makes sense to me that a lot of his job comes down to appearances and the like. It's mostly comes across as hollow, but at least I can believe that he's legitimately trying to steer the department into a games-centric direction as opposed to what we had before with Don Mattrick, who's influence on the brand ultimately led to me switching to Playstation as my main gaming base.

Thinking about it though, that hollowness does speak to a greater tonal issue I've had with Microsoft's marketing for a few years. A lot of their products and services lately are attempts (sometimes failed, other times successful) at aping something from a clear industry leader, and in turn their ads just come off as so cloying, manipulative, and self-righteous. The said could be said of a lot of advertising of course, but I still remember the "Scroogled" Bing campaign, a series of pretty annoying Windows phone ads that really seemed like they were speaking down to people, and that ridiculous attempt at misrepresenting the 4K features of the Xbox One S when it first came out. Am I the only one who's been rubbed the wrong way by MS marketing lately?

Around the Network

Wish Sony and Nintendo had someone as vocal and active as the XBoss :)

LudicrousSpeed said:

You are really asking for trouble with this post. Good luck.

Link to the VGChartz Discord server: https://discord.gg/2uMTaYtv

Wow this is actually a really good post. Sure, it is flaming Phil spencer, but it's not overly mean and it's pretty hilarious. It's also totally true.

On the other hand, I didn't know you count to 6 as 1,2,3,3,4,5,6.

Link to the VGChartz Discord server: https://discord.gg/2uMTaYtv

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

You are really asking for trouble with this post. Good luck.

I don’t see why. If so, then what does that say about the thread? 

Papa Phil is passionate about gaming and he shares a lot. I would just enjoy someone like that from the other two as well. At least in the US, there doesn’t seem to be someone as engaging with fans and open in interviews. It’s like Kenny K but instead of batshit insane tech stuff he just talks about the industry.

Azzanation said:
thismeintiel said:
I think he usually talks about E3 being their biggest ever. Of course, it usually ends up being the same thing. And last year's was pretty lackluster.

They had the best E3 last year based on many sites

Xbox magazine, xbox world , xbox official fanbase site and xboxforlife.com ?