By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer's PR guide book

DonFerrari said:

Well MS strategy is probably the one that gives them more profit even in the long run, it is just that for us that like to discuss and on console war it seem weak... but considering game anywhere brings them a lot of possible bridge with PC and increase their total userbase, and 3rd party being the largest part of the market perhaps at the end their X2 will give them a lot of profits even if the HW sales again are less than half of PS5.

Yeah I definitely think they're finding plenty of ways to be profitable, so in that regard the brand is probably safe. These days digital sales and subscriptions are becoming such a big source of profit I anticipate Gamepass is going to keep being a cornerstone of their business. The question then is how high the quality of the actual games being delivered will be. Who knows. Super curious how the console landscape will be in five years.

Around the Network
DJjazzyGETH said:
DonFerrari said:

Well MS strategy is probably the one that gives them more profit even in the long run, it is just that for us that like to discuss and on console war it seem weak... but considering game anywhere brings them a lot of possible bridge with PC and increase their total userbase, and 3rd party being the largest part of the market perhaps at the end their X2 will give them a lot of profits even if the HW sales again are less than half of PS5.

Yeah I definitely think they're finding plenty of ways to be profitable, so in that regard the brand is probably safe. These days digital sales and subscriptions are becoming such a big source of profit I anticipate Gamepass is going to keep being a cornerstone of their business. The question then is how high the quality of the actual games being delivered will be. Who knows. Super curious how the console landscape will be in five years.

That is the reason I support Sony, they are the company that have the focus on SP story driven that I appreciate.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

LudicrousSpeed said:
Wish Sony and Nintendo had someone as vocal and active as the XBoss :)

I can get onboard with that. Shu used to be more active and “present.” I always loved that. Adam Boyes was good at it, too. Hope that comes back.

DonFerrari said:
DJjazzyGETH said:
Much like most political leaders, there's likely a hard limit on what Phil Spencer himself can impact within the greater context of MS as a massive company, so it makes sense to me that a lot of his job comes down to appearances and the like. It's mostly comes across as hollow, but at least I can believe that he's legitimately trying to steer the department into a games-centric direction as opposed to what we had before with Don Mattrick, who's influence on the brand ultimately led to me switching to Playstation as my main gaming base.

Thinking about it though, that hollowness does speak to a greater tonal issue I've had with Microsoft's marketing for a few years. A lot of their products and services lately are attempts (sometimes failed, other times successful) at aping something from a clear industry leader, and in turn their ads just come off as so cloying, manipulative, and self-righteous. The said could be said of a lot of advertising of course, but I still remember the "Scroogled" Bing campaign, a series of pretty annoying Windows phone ads that really seemed like they were speaking down to people, and that ridiculous attempt at misrepresenting the 4K features of the Xbox One S when it first came out. Am I the only one who's been rubbed the wrong way by MS marketing lately?

Considering that before Phil they had a lot more exclusives (X360 and start of X1), do you really prefer his direction?

LudicrousSpeed said:

So you wished that Sony and Nintendo were more about talking and less about doing?

Sorry to interupt your console warz but he’s done plenty since taking over. The Xbone has rebounded nicely from the shitstorm Mattrick left it in. So clearly you can talk AND do stuff :)

pitzy272 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

I can get onboard with that. Shu used to be more active and “present.” I always loved that. Adam Boyes was good at it, too. Hope that comes back.

Yep they were both good at it.

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
DonFerrari said:

Considering that before Phil they had a lot more exclusives (X360 and start of X1), do you really prefer his direction?

So you wished that Sony and Nintendo were more about talking and less about doing?

Sorry to interupt your console warz but he’s done plenty since taking over. The Xbone has rebounded nicely from the shitstorm Mattrick left it in. So clearly you can talk AND do stuff :)

Yes he surely is delivering on his yearly promisses of best lineup ever and increasing investiment and focus on 1st party.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Games take time breh.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Games take time breh.

And talking is cheap... he have been promissing since he assumed the role, 4 years is enough time to get something going, don't you think? And not even talking about games being released, but studios being created or increased, multiple projects started, etc... what we hear are studios being closed, games being cancelled and exclusivity being bought... none of those are signals of commitment for 1st party that he have promised for so long (and of course kept repeating every year that the year is the best ever).

But please keep the accusation of console warz, when you had it started when you wished other companies had their Phill talking a lot... we do love the threads of he talking smack and being hypocrites for sure. And no, I wouldn't like Shu to be spinning the truth every week to make PS guys feel better nor would I want Shigeru doing it for Ninty... altought Reggie is one for some shit talking.

Not my fault you see that as a negative. Just part of that mentality I guess. I don’t see anything wrong with a Sony or Nintendo exec being as out there as Phil.

JRPGfan said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

My rating

Nintendo : 8/10
MS   : 3/10
Sony : 2/10

Others : I don't know

Sony's last E3 was better than MS's...
Ubisoft was slightly better than Nintendo that year too.

MS had Athem Marketing.... and like 40 forgettable indie games (I cant even name 1 today from that E3)
Sonys E3 was def. better than MS one.

old quote from E3 2017:

JRPGfan said:

Thats alot like my thinking (score wise too).

Ubisoft >  nintendo = sony > MS > EA.

@ bold

100% true. And they were forgettable. Cuphead actually peaked my interest, none of those games did. 

LudicrousSpeed said: 
Not my fault you see that as a negative. Just part of that mentality I guess. I don’t see anything wrong with a Sony or Nintendo exec being as out there as Phil.

They don't have time to be doing it all the time like Phil. They are using their time to actually deliver on the promise of games. Not spin constant negatives as positives, or things to be ignored. Or whining about Sony being meanies, as he turns around and does the exact same thing.