By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Sea of Thieves Future Content Announced.

VGPolyglot said:
jason1637 said:

I'm mostly excited for the weekly events and the new areas.

So, now that the game has been out for a bit, what are your thoughts on it? Do you think it's something that can keep you entertained long-term?

Sea of Thieves is definitely lacking content and after like 3-4 hours of a sessions im ready to stop playing for the day but every few days i just feel like playing the game. It hard to explain but i think its because even though im doing similar voyages every time i play its a new experience based on what i encounter, who i play with, how we go about doing the voyages etc and whenever i play i know im gonna experience something i have never experienced yet. In the video they talked about weekly events, multi crew events, and a new area. Thats the top 3 things im looking fowrad to. Weekly events because it gives me something new to work towards for every week and im hoping the rewards will be as good as skeleton forts. The multi crew events sounds cool because in Sea of Thieves you literally never know what will happen when you encounter another group of players. Some will attack, some will help you, some will want to join your crew, some will help you and steal all the rewards etc. The new area sounds great because i they have so many possibilities they can do with a new map. 

So basickly SoT content and gameplay isnt anything special but the experience is what keeps bringin me back every few days. 

Around the Network

It's free on Gamepass , But still not worth my time, i will wait until they fix all the problem and  put a lot of content.

Weekly events, multi-crew events and new area sounds good. Especially events is what this game needs. I haven't been able to play for a while but I'd want to.

Angelus said:
forest-spirit said:

Those updates better be more fleshed out than they sound like if they want the game to still be alive come fall.

New enemy type. As in, a single new enemy type? Even if that includes multiple enemies of that type it's not enough. People are complaining about a lack of content and they're solving that by introducing a new enemy type? The team should, quite frankly, be in panic mode by now and try to get as much new stuff into the next update as possible. For starters they could include Zombie pirates with poisonous attacks to bring some diversity to the skeleton fights. It's not much but at the same time it wouldn't require a whole lot of effort. Out at sea there could be packs of killer seagulls or squids. Enemy ship encounters is also a no-brainer and these could include zombie ships, demon ships and of course ghost ships. For ghost ships there could be some required items to actually be able to engage them (like the map in Wind Waker). There could also be whole ghost islands to find and explore.

New ship types should be introduced like now, along with more options for sails, cannons, cannonballs etc. and new mechanics that makes use of them.

I'm not playing Sea of Thieves so perhaps I shouldn't bother talking about it but I was interested at one point and it's really frustrating to see a game that had a lot of potential get sunk because of pure laziness.

Consider how long Rare have been working on this game, and the kind of barebones state it released in. It would be foolish to think that those same guys (except it's probably really a smaller live team) could then turn around and fill the game with all the content it desperately needs in a much shorter time window. If all they managed in 3 years was a couple of ships, some skeletons, and half a Kraken.....what are they really gonna be able to do in a few more months?

I don't think this has much to do with laziness at all. I'd say Rare bit off more than they could chew. 

Yeah when I read the "new enemy type" I thought the same thing, as in... "surely they mean types, not singular" but then I would agree that in 3 years of development they managed to create a single AI which barely functions and can be pathed into area's for exploiting without any system such as "evading" like the mobs from WoW had 13-14 years ago when that game launched.

This might get content down the line in the same way No mans Sky did, but the first impressions are what makes or breaks a new IP and the first impressions of Sea of Thieves were so negative it would be very difficult to turn around gamers opinion on it down the line, especially when there are so many quality titles out this gen and coming out in the coming months, I'd be very shocked if this project manages to turn around into a success after the launch/review period it had.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

I feel that people are to harsh for the roadmap =p. In the next 6-7 months they will introduce a bunch of new enemies/Atleast 3 new Regions/New ship(s)/Weekly events with new loot/costumes/Quests where people have to work together and ofcourse for free while so many games are 'here are 3 New maps that's 10 bucks please' =p. We clearly have to see the result at the end of the year.

Around the Network
konnichiwa said:
I feel that people are to harsh for the roadmap =p. In the next 6-7 months they will introduce a bunch of new enemies/Atleast 3 new Regions/New ship(s)/Weekly events with new loot/costumes/Quests where people have to work together and ofcourse for free while so many games are 'here are 3 New maps that's 10 bucks please' =p. We clearly have to see the result at the end of the year.

Well, most games launch with something in them tough, since Sea of Thieves didn't they need to add it all now or the game will still be devoid of content.

Last edited by DakonBlackblade - on 15 April 2018

DakonBlackblade said:
konnichiwa said:

Well, most games launch with something in them tough, since Sea of Thieves didn't they need to add it all now or the game will still devoid of content.

That's why I said the roadmap =p.

John2290 said:
Oh, this looks plain bad. Should have kept their lips sealed and announced as the content drops. That list doesn't evoke confidence, it's more a list of goals for them to hit rather than anything substantial. They should bunker down, add some questing and narrative akin to MMO's and release in big a bigmeaty chunk when the new map is ready. Drip feeding DLC like content is a terrible way to expand.

Yeah I agree, I feel that their announcement seems very lightweight. Seems like actual questing, enemies and things to do, but they talked a lot about rewarding players and wishy washy player vs player encounters (i.e the players make their own fun), but you cannot reward if there is nothing to do with those rewards. Its part of the core gameplay loop you have to think about when making a game.... 

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

While I agree that the updates sound small, but we're getting six updates in seven to nine months. That is an update every month or 45 days. We can't realistically ask for bigger ones.
If I have the choice between one big updates every quarter or smaller ones every month, I'd go with the later, especially with how the game launched.

konnichiwa said:

Have to remember certain few here (not hard to see who) that are showing "concern" after the announcement have no intention of playing a MS exclusive game :P.