By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Financially, was ARMS a flop?

Was ARMS a flop or a success?

A success 62 72.09%

Neither a flop nor a success 21 24.42%

A flop 3 3.49%

Total:86

A flop? Is that a serious question? A new IP, fighting genre (not exactly a huge genre), been out for less than a year, and with digital it'll pass 2 million in a few months. And no doubt Nintendo made good money off of it already, and it will continue to sell.

I'd say its been quite the success.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
Games cost a lot of money to develop these days. How much does it cost? Like 60 USD? Multiply that by 1.67, and you only get about 100 million in total revenue, likely a less money than it cost to develop the game. Nintendo probably only got a chunk of that, I'd say 40,000 USD. So yes, a bit flop, Nintendo lost over 1 million dollars on it.

FLOOP!

Breath of the Wild only needed to sell two million to be profitable. Arms did not cost nearly that much to make.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

wait have you seen fighting games sales?????????

It's doing well so far but I don't think well enough for EPD's standards. A sequel is likely but at this point it's probably going to be outsourced with a Nintendo guy producing it like with Star Fox, Metroid, F-Zero, Yoshi, Luigi's Mansion, Pilotwings, Punch-Out and others unless ARMS ends up selling something like 3-4m lifetime.

Last edited by wombat123 - on 13 April 2018

Wasn't a failure no. They got room to improve it with a sequel,which will be interesting to see where they take it next.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network

I bet you've never asked this question for similarly selling games like Kirby, Fire Emblem, Pikmin, etc. Why is that I wonder? :L

KrspaceT said:
Jumpin said:
Games cost a lot of money to develop these days. How much does it cost? Like 60 USD? Multiply that by 1.67, and you only get about 100 million in total revenue, likely a less money than it cost to develop the game. Nintendo probably only got a chunk of that, I'd say 40,000 USD. So yes, a bit flop, Nintendo lost over 1 million dollars on it.

FLOOP!

Breath of the Wild only needed to sell two million to be profitable. Arms did not cost nearly that much to make.

Trust me! My budget estimates are as airtight as my mathematical equations.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

FLOOP!

#Exposed

Neither really a success or failure. For a console maker, the type of software that they'd want to make is something that will really move hardware. The best money for the big 3 is in licensing fees, which means they want to make first party games that will move the hardware. Arms didn't really do that.

On the other hand it does round out their library some more and it's a reasonably enjoyable game, so its not really a failure either. Plus I think it's good for Nintendo to keep trying out new games. The more they can do that the better. They aren't going to knock it out of the park every time they make a new game, but it's good that they keep trying.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Neither really a success or failure. For a console maker, the type of software that they'd want to make is something that will really move hardware. The best money for the big 3 is in licensing fees, which means they want to make first party games that will move the hardware. Arms didn't really do that.

On the other hand it does round out their library some more and it's a reasonably enjoyable game, so its not really a failure either. Plus I think it's good for Nintendo to keep trying out new games. The more they can do that the better. They aren't going to knock it out of the park every time they make a new game, but it's good that they keep trying.

I mean, as I explained earlier, exclusive games make good money on their own.  $7 more per copy than a 3rd party dev makes.  So Arms brought in I would guess 50 to 60 million in revenue.   I can't imagine the budget was close to that high.  So yeah, moving hardware is always nice but midtier exclusives like Kirby, Yoshi, Arms, etc exist fkr a reason.