By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Financially, was ARMS a flop?

Was ARMS a flop or a success?

A success 62 72.09%

Neither a flop nor a success 21 24.42%

A flop 3 3.49%

Total:86

Not a smash hit but not a flop. Alltogether a very forgettable game anyway.

Around the Network
flashfire926 said:
I don't think it was a flop, but selling less than half of splatoon 1 first year, and also accounting the fact that there's was almost nothing out when arms came out, to me says there won't be an arms II.

A theoretical arms 2 would struggle to even reach 1.5 million, because this time it won't have the advantages the first game did (having no competition at the time of release).

It sold about as much as the typical Kirby, Yoshi, Metroid, Paper Mario, Fire Emblem, Mario & Luigi, Kid Icarus, Mario Party, Mario Sports (Tennis/Golf/Strikers) game does so it did well.

You say it didnt have competition but it was sandwiched right in between Mario Kart Deluxe & Splatoon 2.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

VGPolyglot said:
Naum said:
It easily made more money for Nintendo then some huge budget AAA games did for their developer

What if that some huge budget AAA game is GTAV?

There are games other than GTA. Most games are not GTA

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

VGPolyglot said:
Naum said:
It easily made more money for Nintendo then some huge budget AAA games did for their developer

Is sure there is a reason he said some instead of all.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

KrspaceT said:
VGPolyglot said:

zorg1000 said:
VGPolyglot said:

Well, his post was vague to the point of not really having any substance at all.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
KrspaceT said:

zorg1000 said:

Well, his post was vague to the point of not really having any substance at all.

Nope, it was pretty clear what he was saying.

zorg1000 said:
VGPolyglot said:

Nope, it was pretty clear what he was saying.

Actually, I see now. I thought he said "some game", not "some games".

It sold fine and is still selling...
Despite the insistence of many on social media and Twitch chat that game is dead and that there's zero interest, it has a small but developing competitive community...
With the release of the free DLC characters the game saw the foundation of an actual backstory...
The characters are great and I'm looking forward to the comics coming in the future...
Splatoon's success was huge but not every game is going to be a Mario or a Splatoon...
The exception should not be treated as the standard...

Have a nice day...

Games cost a lot of money to develop these days. How much does it cost? Like 60 USD? Multiply that by 1.67, and you only get about 100 million in total revenue, likely a less money than it cost to develop the game. Nintendo probably only got a chunk of that, I'd say 40,000 USD. So yes, a bit flop, Nintendo lost over 1 million dollars on it.

FLOOP!

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Sold more than old franchises like fire emblem warriors and super bomberman r